View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 95 of 343
« First < 45859192939495 96979899105145195 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Hoover 03:10 PM 07-14-2022
I figured a young 26 year old who wants to be great, would want to play for a contender (which helps you get in the HOF) while making 100M plus.

He's played this badly.

Veach is nobody's fool. He's a cold blooded killer.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:16 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
There's just no reason to negotiate if he wants that when you have him on the tag.

He's not an unrestricted FA. They have him tagged. I don't understand his agents logic. They have him for 2 36 mil.

Show us you're an elite LT this year, we'll pay you that way. Makes sense. I hate having to do this whole dance, I'd prefer locking guys down early vs late, but it makes sens.e
There truly is none.

His agent is running a bluff or his agent's client is retarded.

His bluff is essentially "You don't want to burn one of Kelce's final 3 premier seasons w/ a backup LT and my guy will hold out if we don't reach a long-term agreement..."

Now I say it's a bluff because SURELY Brown recognizes the complete folly in that approach. He'd absolutely wreck his value. This is a guy who a season ago was traded with what amounts to a free season left on his deal for the equivalent of a mid-2nd rounder. And to a team that the Ravens were trying to beat, no less, so that was clearly the best they could get for him.

THAT'S where the market valued the guy a mere season ago. This isn't a situation where this is a highly sought after superstar who's market will remain robust if he sits out a year. He's gotta know this.

WHich brings me to the 2nd possibility - OBJ's agent has a retarded client. Maybe Brown DOESN'T know this. Maybe he WILL still out rather than play on the tag. In which case, he's an absolute idiot.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:17 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Once again , and I've stated this before, many times, but I just don't get why these players have to be so greedy. I mean, what can you do with 23 million that you can't do with 19 million. Help the team out to win championships.

I'm so glad Leveon Bell got ****ed trying this shit!
I don't think you guys understand what is driving this.

It isn't a million here or there.

It's about being the highest paid. Whatever that number is.

Hill was fine with a much lower number until Adams reset the market. It wasn't like Hill's material needs suddenly changed.

But in order to be the highest paid, it sure did.

It appears Brown wants to be recognized as an elite LT more than he wants to take a 'team friendly' deal that he probably thinks under values him.

His prerogative.

But not one that I particularly like to see the team hitch its wagon to.
[Reply]
Kiimo 03:20 PM 07-14-2022
A lot of people leaving it up to the agent to tell Orlando the smart thing to do.

He was literally hired because he doesn't know what the smart thing to do IS

edit:

There's a chance all four franchise tagged players don't get deals by Friday deadline:

*Dalton Schultz, Mike Gesicki deals unlikely, per @AdamSchefter

*Sources haven't been optimistic on Jessie Bates/Cincy

*Orlando Brown/Chiefs: It's not looking good but sides talking.

— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) July 14, 2022

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:26 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Seems his greatest leverage (only leverage, really) is simply that the organization doesn't want to head into the season with a question mark protecting the $500m asset's blind spot and he's banking on that.
So his approach is to hope that the organization that he's trying to convince should give him 'top of the market money' will also think he's stupid enough to sit out a season rather than play for $16 milion?

"I'm very very stupid and so self-absorbed that I'd risk your franchise QB over getting paid a 'paltry' $16 million....so give me $25"

Does he not see the cognitive dissonance here? If the Chiefs think he's worth even $22 million, they won't bite on that bluff for a second. They won't believe he's truly that stupid. And if they think he IS that stupid, they won't bite on that bluff either because they don't want to give a stupid, selfish person that kind of money.

He's working against himself biggly here, IMO.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:26 PM 07-14-2022
Yea, well Brown may well be getting bad advise from an idiot agent who thinks KC will fold.

Or Brown may not be listening to the advice he is getting.

Or maybe at the last minute he signs a reasonable deal, but I'm not convinced of that just yet. Although you can't rule it out either.
[Reply]
DRM08 03:27 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I don't think you guys understand what is driving this.

It isn't a million here or there.

It's about being the highest paid. Whatever that number is.

Hill was fine with a much lower number until Adams reset the market. It wasn't like Hill's material needs suddenly changed.

But in order to be the highest paid, it sure did.

It appears Brown wants to be recognized as an elite LT more than he wants to take a 'team friendly' deal that he probably thinks under values him.

His prerogative.

But not one that I particularly like to see the team hitch its wagon to.

Everyone wants to be paid top dollar, even if they are not truly the best at the job. I am curious to see if Brown will refuse to sign the franchise tag.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:33 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Everyone wants to be paid top dollar, even if they are not truly the best at the job. I am curious to see if Brown will refuse to sign the franchise tag.
I'd think it's a safe bet we wouldn't see him until we're closing in on week 1 and it's time to play. Damn shame as he's one of the last guys I'd want left to his own devices during the period of time players are preparing for the season.
[Reply]
Holladay 03:35 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by :
Him showing up week 2 of the regular season fat and out of shape is a legitimate concern
If he does, then we have our answer. Same if he holds out.

I never got why players pout, unless a legit reason. They are only hurting themselves. Each play, game, season is an audition for the same time for additional money or for another team.
[Reply]
Coogs 03:42 PM 07-14-2022
At least they are talking. That's a start.
[Reply]
DRM08 03:42 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I'd think it's a safe bet we wouldn't see him until we're closing in on week 1 and it's time to play. Damn shame as he's one of the last guys I'd want left to his own devices during the period of time players are preparing for the season.
He can wait until Week 10 to sign the franchise tag and still get paid a pretty good chunk of change. He'll be pretty worthless on the field of course, given that we know he's unlikely to stay in decent shape while isolated from the team.
[Reply]
Kiimo 03:44 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Yea, well Brown may well be getting bad advise from an idiot agent who thinks KC will fold.

Or Brown may not be listening to the advice he is getting.

Or maybe at the last minute he signs a reasonable deal, but I'm not convinced of that just yet. Although you can't rule it out either.

Or he hired a non-agent to be his agent because he would give OBJ the advice he wanted to hear.

Listen listen listen, you should be paid the most money a left tackle has ever made in the history of the NFL! Why? Because you deserve it! What are they going to do, NOT protect Mahomes???

Orlando: I'm listening! Go on!
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:45 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
There's just no reason to negotiate if he wants that when you have him on the tag.

He's not an unrestricted FA. They have him tagged. I don't understand his agents logic. They have him for 2 36 mil.

Show us you're an elite LT this year, we'll pay you that way. Makes sense. I hate having to do this whole dance, I'd prefer locking guys down early vs late, but it makes sens.e
I don't think it is his agent, it is him and his dad deciding this.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:46 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Here's where he's really given the Chiefs zero reason to be accomodating.

Typically the franchise tag and the guaranteed money over the first 2 years isn't THAT far off of what a team might pay on a LTC, it's just broken out over a signing bonus, etc... that makes the cap hit a little easier to stomach.

But over, say, 5 years - the AAVs come out pretty normal if you tag/tag/extend.

Well that's just not the case here at all. The Chiefs have Brown at roughly $37 million over the next 2 years.

Now lets set the "$30 million/season" stuff aside because I've seen nothing credible to suggest that's what he's going for. Lets instead just say he's looking to get 6/$150 - that's what it would take to 'reset' the LT market.

Well if the Chiefs have him at 2/$37, that's 4/$113 thereafter. That's over $28 million/season on the 'non-controlled' years that come after they have him on the tag for 2 years.

There's ZERO reason to climb into bed with that. 2 years from now that won't be the 'new normal' for LTs and if it is, you find a new plan.

Rather than the old 'home team discount' - he's effectively looking to ignore the fact that he's tagged altogether, act as though he's a UFA and then apply a home-team tax.

He's just overplayed his hand SO badly here.

This was just remarkably easy and he's ****ed it up. Start with Stanley's deal, tack on 10%, call it a day. That's roughly 5/$108. Ideally you have that extension start AFTER this year's tag season so its effectively 6/$124 It's steep. It's maybe even more than is smart. But it's tolerable.

But this shit he's pulling gives the Chiefs no incentive to come to the table at all. Tag, tag, let him walk and take the comp pick. There's literally zero upside in agreeing to the terms he's said to be seeking over just having him play on the tag.
And all that said... it's still what could get done.

If placing odds, I'd say most likely right now is playing the season on the tag. Second is a deal like the 6/150M one you mentioned getting done.

I think that deal gets done IF he's happy/OK with the last year being an obvious fluff year that inflates the AAV to "reset the AAV market" without actually ever going to happen (see the Hill and Adams deals).

If the 4/113 is broken into 3-4-5/70 and 6/43 amounts (throw a guaranteed/void year amount in there if you want), I think that's a "Yes" for KC 100 percent.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:48 PM 07-14-2022
Originally Posted by Coogs:
At least they are talking. That's a start.
Yep. As long as they keep talking there's a chance.
[Reply]
Page 95 of 343
« First < 45859192939495 96979899105145195 > Last »
Up