ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 91 of 107
« First < 41818788899091 92939495101 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Shooting at the parade
Otter 01:53 PM 02-14-2024

Just like #ChiefsKingdom has always been there for me and my family, we want to be there for them.❤️

The @Chiefs have launched #KCStrong, an emergency response fund supporting victims and their families, violence prevention and mental health services, and first responders.… pic.twitter.com/sYMnPgCWL0

— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) February 16, 2024

Friendly mod reminder, this thread is about yesterday's shooting. Not about gun control, gun laws, politics, or anything of that nature. If you need everyone to know what's wrong in this world and how you'd fix it, grab your megaphone and soapbox and take it to DC, thanks.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:26 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by luv:
I thought these posts were in DC now?
I don't think it was overtly political, outside of the "bias confirmation" part. To me, it was a good study on the possible scenarios for someone legally carrying a firearm in this situation.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:28 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
There were two backpacks, each with what looked like a buffer tube sticking out...
I've seen this mentioned before, and I'm admittedly clueless. What is a buffer tube and what does it do?
[Reply]
Lzen 02:30 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by Perineum Ripper:
So I will take a little time to explain how this looks as someone who carries, and has a little bit of training and experience. This is a nightmare scenario for someone carrying, for law enforcement, for bodyguards, for security of any kind. Let’s look at it from a carry perspective.

You are there, most likely with family, and/or friends. Your number one priority is keeping them safe, and getting them out of the immediate vicinity of danger presents. With a million people crammed into a few block area, there is really no way to get out if things start happening close to you. In a heartbeat you need to figure out where the threat is, where you need to go to get away, grab your people up and go. Or do you make them leave and you try to stop the immediate threat.

Let’s say you go for the threat. You now have to battle against all the people who are running in every direction and in panic. Panicking people are not rational, they will knock you down, then you will be stomped by the crowd. You then need to realize, you have to open lane to engage the threat. No lane between the two of you, no clear lane around the target, nothing open behind the target. Innocent people running everywhere. You can’t engage, you are now running forward making yourself a bigger target with each step closer.

Let’s look at it from the point of leaving. You see the threat, you get your group going the opposite direction. You do everything you can to protect yourself and them. Any training you receive that is worth a dime, will teach you protect yourself and your family. Everyone else is on their own, sounds harsh, but it’s the best way to protect yourself. You have no obligation to protect others in these moments, odds will favor things getting worse if you intervene. If you are not the target, you get out.

So you leave, now people who are ignorant say, “Where is the good guy with a gun?” You don’t intervene in one of the most dangerous situations possible, it confirms their bias, you intervene and it goes bad, confirms their bias. Also can put you in prison, or you have to live with a terrible tragedy that you brought on. With the amount of things that can go wrong, the risk is not worth it. The odds of you making it way worse is so much higher than improving things.
Spot on! :-)
[Reply]
Lzen 02:31 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Just adding to this (with no gun debate happening).

If you pull your weapon....how many people in that crowd now think that you're the one shooting?
That's always a possibility, as well. It's also possible that the cops might see you and think you're the shooter. I think those of us that carry don't carry for this kind of situation. This is practically a no win situation.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 02:38 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I don't think it was overtly political, outside of the "bias confirmation" part. To me, it was a good study on the possible scenarios for someone legally carrying a firearm in this situation.
I thought about that part after I posted, I wasn’t trying to be political. If that part needs to be deleted, I get it. I can definitely see how that part can push it too much
[Reply]
bdj23 02:39 PM 02-16-2024
I've seen this mentioned before, and I'm admittedly clueless. What is a buffer tube and what does it do?
Housing for the recoil spring

Originally Posted by :
The buffer tube contains the spring that forces the bolt forward loading a new round after the gas action cycles the bolt back expelling the spent cartridge

[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 02:42 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by Papi:
I'm seeing charged as juveniles which is disappointing and soft af.
In Missouri, juveniles can’t be charged as adults until they are certified as adults in juvenile court. Once they are certified, then they can be charged as adults.

You won’t see ‘adult charges’ for a while . . . . .
[Reply]
Lzen 02:43 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Did you even read that story... Guy was a hero and saved some lives, the Cop mishandled that situation horribly.
Can you expand on this story? I clicked the link but it says the page is not there.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 02:46 PM 02-16-2024
On semi-automatic guns it extends off the back of the firing chamber and the bolt retracts into it, then a spring force it back forward to load another round. it can be fine-tuned to reduce recoil and smoothen out the action for specific types of ammo. It's usually hidden in the stock, or in some auto pistol type applications it sticks out the back of the gun can look like a boom microphone.

They can come in anodize flashy designs like this kids red one. But if it was sticking out of the backpack it would be easily recognizable by someone familiar with guns and gun parts.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-pu...harging-handle
[Reply]
DaFace 02:53 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Can you expand on this story? I clicked the link but it says the page is not there.
Not sure what happened to the original post or link, but I'm pretty sure this is what the link was supposed to be:

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...ed-by-officer/

TL;DR - A gunman in Arvada, CO in 2021 was on a mission to kill cops. He took out one officer and was waiting on more to show up, but a civilian snuck up on him and took him out. The cops showed up, saw a man with a gun, and killed the hero thinking he was the gunman they were looking for. It's a super sad story.

Here's a more recent article about the aftermath and settlement.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:54 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Not sure what happened to the original post or link, but I'm pretty sure this is what the link was supposed to be:

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...ed-by-officer/

TL;DR - A gunman in Arvada, CO in 2021 was on a mission to kill cops. He took out one officer and was waiting on more to show up, but a civilian snuck up on him and took him out. The cops showed up, saw a man with a gun, and killed the hero thinking he was the gunman they were looking for. It's a super sad story.
And the sole reason I posted it was to show that not every "good guy with a gun" scenario ends up working out.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:56 PM 02-16-2024
Maybe this good be in the OP

Just like #ChiefsKingdom has always been there for me and my family, we want to be there for them.❤️

The @Chiefs have launched #KCStrong, an emergency response fund supporting victims and their families, violence prevention and mental health services, and first responders.… pic.twitter.com/sYMnPgCWL0

— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) February 16, 2024

[Reply]
DaFace 02:56 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
And the sole reason I posted it was to show that not every "good guy with a gun" scenario ends up working out.
It's tough, though. I think it's safe to conclude that fewer people died that day as a result of Hurley's actions. It's just sad that he himself ended up being one who did.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:59 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Maybe this good be in the OP

I posted it as a separate thread earlier, but no harm in putting it in the OP here as well.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:02 PM 02-16-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I posted it as a separate thread earlier, but no harm in putting it in the OP here as well.
Sorry guess I should have looked down. my bad
[Reply]
Page 91 of 107
« First < 41818788899091 92939495101 > Last »
Up