ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 88 of 97
« First < 38788485868788 89909192 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>JuJu to Kansas City
Dante84 02:20 PM 03-18-2022

#ChiefsKingdom Let’s Go!

— JuJu Smith-Schuster (@TeamJuJu) March 18, 2022

JuJu Smith-Schuster is getting a one-year, $10.75M deal with the Chiefs, per source.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 18, 2022

[Reply]
RunKC 02:49 PM 01-03-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Not really a good excuse when the Chiefs were willing to pay $24M+ to Tyreek.

It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of finding the proper talent.

I still think Veach is willing to pay for a premiere WR, but in a perfect world he'd be home grown and won't have to pay him for another 4-5 years.

I don't believe that throwing B/C tier players at the position is a long term strategy, more just a short term solution for this season.

Someone in the draft thread mentioned trading for Hopkins. I think that's an interesting proposition.
I’d say Veach is trying to get top tier talent. Toney is a pretty solid example of that and I think that will show up even more next year.

I love Jalin Hyatt. If he’s anywhere near our pick I’d be eager to move up for him bc I would love his fit here. But we really need a RT and DE so it’s hard to juggle, especially with a lackluster FA class coming up
[Reply]
Hoover 02:52 PM 01-03-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Some WRs who could be interesting stopgaps… dj chark, Jarvis Landry. I’m sure more will become available. Guys you can plug in for a very short time but can quickly get rid of so they don’t destroy your long term cap.

Examples of WR2s you can pay to temporarily play WR1 are Darius slayton.

Examples of WR2s you can easily turn into WR1s are tee Higgins/Tyler Boyd (2024). Higgins may get paid though.

Some ways to improve the WR room without breaking the bank.
Guys like Chark and Landry have been available in the past and the Chiefs took a pass.

I think it clear, Chiefs are going to sign JJSS to a 2-3 year deal. See what they have in Moore and Tooney, and look to draft a WR1. No need to make this anymore complicated than that.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:57 PM 01-03-2023
Not really a good excuse when the Chiefs were willing to pay $24M+ to Tyreek.

It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of finding the proper talent.

I still think Veach is willing to pay for a premiere WR, but in a perfect world he'd be home grown and won't have to pay him for another 4-5 years.

I don't believe that throwing B/C tier players at the position is a long term strategy, more just a short term solution for this season.

Someone in the draft thread mentioned trading for Hopkins. I think that's an interesting proposition.
Yep, the 2 of us and chiefzilla I think may be alone in banging this drum. But then as I mentioned, I'm not sure what my approach is to find the blue chip WRs. Keep the offense elite, and just chip away trying to get an OK defense is my preference. If that really isn't possible, cool, wouldn't hate the chips going in to fix the DL.

If there's a trade that involves a guy not too old and not giving up a first round pick, I'd be open to it. In the absence of that, go cheap, draft WR in rhe first 2 rounds again, and hold out for next year? I still think a guy like Meyers can do everything Juju can do, and more, and might go for less

I just can't watch us pay someone like JuJu $20m because Mahomes resurrected him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:58 PM 01-03-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Option C is right up Veach's alley. He's always trying to find diamonds in the rough, so to speak.
Which is why I'm so surprised we weren't in on Laviska Shenault or even Jalen Reagor. That's not to say that either of those guys would've broken out here, but it's just right in Veach's wheelhouse. Denzel Mims would see to be another candidate.

Seems like Terrace Marshall has worked his way into a full-time role in Carolina but what about Dyami Brown? Jalen Tolbert hasn't gotten a sniff at all in Dallas this year - seems like there are some tools there that could be intriguing for a late round flyer if Dallas is ready to move on.

There are always 'change of scenery' candidates...
[Reply]
JPH83 03:00 PM 01-03-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I’d say Veach is trying to get top tier talent. Toney is a pretty solid example of that and I think that will show up even more next year.

I love Jalin Hyatt. If he’s anywhere near our pick I’d be eager to move up for him bc I would love his fit here. But we really need a RT and DE so it’s hard to juggle, especially with a lackluster FA class coming up
Can't decide on Hyatt. The speed is VERY enticing, but is he a lot more than that? He's probably not a guy I'm moving up for.
[Reply]
JPH83 03:01 PM 01-03-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Which is why I'm so surprised we weren't in on Laviska Shenault or even Jalen Reagor. That's not to say that either of those guys would've broken out here, but it's just right in Veach's wheelhouse. Denzel Mims would see to be another candidate.

Seems like Terrace Marshall has worked his way into a full-time role in Carolina but what about Dyami Brown? Jalen Tolbert hasn't gotten a sniff at all in Dallas this year - seems like there are some tools there that could be intriguing for a late round flyer if Dallas is ready to move on.

YES! Was kinda gutted to see Shenault getting a few decent games in as I had exactly the same thought.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:05 PM 01-03-2023
Hopkins has a $19+ million salary next season. I don't think that's completely out of line as I still think he's probably a top 15-20 WR. But there's not much surplus value there, if any. He's likely to be worth almost exactly what his salary is next season.

So if you're trading for him, it shouldn't be for much. And you really don't want to be giving him a new deal either because he's due that $19 million this year and about $14 million next. There may BE some value in 2024 but he'll be ages 31/32 over those two seasons and there's just not a lot of guys who have remained successful that late into their careers.

Additionally, I just don't think he's an ideal fit stylistically, but the Chiefs seemed to have some success with a younger, not as good version of him this season in JJSS.

I just don't see a reason to give much more than a 5th or 6th rounder for the privilege of paying him $19 million next season.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:07 PM 01-03-2023

No idea. My only guess is that there are other considerations for Veach/Andy that we're not privy to. Not necessarily 'secret' considerations, just things that they confer on that they don't talk about in pressers. Or maybe they're just holding what they have until the WR calms down a bit. Probably it's actually a combination of several things.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:14 PM 01-03-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
YES! Was kinda gutted to see Shenault getting a few decent games in as I had exactly the same thought.
In a thoroughly awful passing offense he's managed 26 receptions on 31 targets. He's run about 1/2 his routes from the slot, about 40% from wide (the remainder 'inline'). Averages nearly 3 yards per route run (elite) with outstanding YAC skills.

Now it's worth noting that he has all of 5 receptions this year past the LOS (on 9 targets). His been used very much in a niche capacity.

But he's a big, strong, fast kid with strong hands and some obvious skills. I think we definitely could've used him especially when you consider the creativity that Reid and Nagy bring to the table in the short passing game.

Might he have been redundant this year? Yeah, especially after the Toney trade. But Toney can be an X or even a Z long-term and at that point having Shenault to effectively replace the Hardman gadget role would be pretty nice.

But there must be something we don't know about. It happens. Just seemed like a really great fit.
[Reply]
O.city 03:14 PM 01-03-2023
They need to land on at least one blue chipper at WR.

****, even Rodgers had Adams.

Im watching Herbert throw prayer balls up at his WR's only to see them come down with one hand, toe tapping sideline catches.

Allen has Diggs.

Herbert has Williams and Allen.

Burrow has a ****ing trio.

Mahomes gets.....JJJSS? FML
I mean...come on man.

Mahomes has had 2 HOF'ers his whole career. Lets tap the breaks here.

Look at how those teams have gotten said WR"s. They've all done it while said QB is on his rookie contract.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:15 PM 01-03-2023
Hopkins has a $19+ million salary next season. I don't think that's completely out of line as I still think he's probably a top 15-20 WR. But there's not much surplus value there, if any. He's likely to be worth almost exactly what his salary is next season.

So if you're trading for him, it shouldn't be for much. And you really don't want to be giving him a new deal either because he's due that $19 million this year and about $14 million next. There may BE some value in 2024 but he'll be ages 31/32 over those two seasons and there's just not a lot of guys who have remained successful that late into their careers.

Additionally, I just don't think he's an ideal fit stylistically, but the Chiefs seemed to have some success with a younger, not as good version of him this season in JJSS.

I just don't see a reason to give much more than a 5th or 6th rounder for the privilege of paying him $19 million next season.
Just my dipstick opinion, but if DHop could be had for $19-$20M/yr and a 3rd-4th, I'd take it in a heartbeat. he'd allow Veach to let JJSS, MVS, and even Hardman go/be traded, and find yet another $10-$13M/yr 'diamond in the rough' type WR, plus whoever we draft. I have no idea what the cap implications of such a move would be, but if it's feasible, it solves the WR1 problem until we can draft one.

But like I said, it's just my opinion without looking into the actual details.
[Reply]
O.city 03:17 PM 01-03-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Some WRs who could be interesting stopgaps… dj chark, Jarvis Landry. I’m sure more will become available. Guys you can plug in for a very short time but can quickly get rid of so they don’t destroy your long term cap.

Examples of WR2s you can pay to temporarily play WR1 are Darius slayton.

Examples of WR2s you can easily turn into WR1s are tee Higgins/Tyler Boyd (2024). Higgins may get paid though.

Some ways to improve the WR room without breaking the bank.
Jarvis Landry....Darius Slayton....

Come on.
[Reply]
O.city 03:19 PM 01-03-2023
College football is flooding the NFL with good WR's every year.

This isn't hard guys. Keep swinging in at them there.
[Reply]
JPH83 03:20 PM 01-03-2023
Just my dipstick opinion, but if DHop could be had for $19-$20M/yr and a 3rd-4th, I'd take it in a heartbeat. he'd allow Veach to let JJSS, MVS, and even Hardman go/be traded, and find yet another $10-$13M/yr 'diamond in the rough' type WR, plus whoever we draft. I have no idea what the cap implications of such a move would be, but if it's feasible, it solves the WR1 problem until we can draft one.

The age is probably the biggest issue making me wary of a Hopkins trade. But if the option was Juju for $20m or Hopkins for the same minus a 4th, maaaybe a 3rd...yeah I'd be considering it. Imo he's significant.enough of an upgrade.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:22 PM 01-03-2023

Not good. At all.

Again, figure best case scenario we can reasonably expect to get to $60 million in cap space before we address LT. And that's with 20+ guys to add to the roster.

A $20 million cap charge for any single player probably takes a veteran LT out of the equation. And if it doesn't, it definitely means you're needing another MASSIVE rookie class contribution in addition to more fringe roster types on the squad at the league minimum.

Forget retaining Thornhill - you may struggle to hold on to someone like Saunders as that point.

We just cannot spend like sailors here. If you're paying $20 million for a WR, you'd better be REALLY sure he moves the needle. Enough that you're willing to get weaker at other spots on the roster to justify it.
[Reply]
Page 88 of 97
« First < 38788485868788 89909192 > Last »
Up