ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 83 of 97
« First < 33737980818283 8485868793 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>JuJu to Kansas City
Dante84 02:20 PM 03-18-2022

#ChiefsKingdom Let’s Go!

— JuJu Smith-Schuster (@TeamJuJu) March 18, 2022

JuJu Smith-Schuster is getting a one-year, $10.75M deal with the Chiefs, per source.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 18, 2022

[Reply]
Megatron96 03:09 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
Why are we going all in on a small gap when we have chances to win sbs for the next decade plus?
Not necessarily arguing, but that's pretty much the exact formula GB has followed since AR became the starter. Veach and Andy might seriously consider an alternate strategy other than "we'll just have Mahomes make everyone better and bear the vast majority of the load for the team's total success for the next 15 years."

IF there's a value FA WR out there at some point, he should be considered very seriously. Especially since w can't realistically expect Kelce to keep performing at his current level for that many more years. Like maybe 2? 3 on the outside?
[Reply]
RunKC 03:13 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
We won a SB 3 years ago.

We don't need to win shit now. And if making us 10% more likely to win one now makes us 5% each of the following 5, I ain't making that trade.

I don't want this to be a Seahawks/Packers situation where a decade later we look back and wonder what happened. And I think pushing too many chips in right now makes that more likely.
If we keep drafting the way we have the last 3 years we’ll be just fine (minus Clyde).
[Reply]
JPH83 03:13 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
See that's the thing. I mean, it's easy to argue that WE SHOULD GET HOPKINS OR METCALF!

but I mean, yeah, well, we have big holes in a lot of places that we won't be able to put quality players in if we do that. And for how much gain at WR? I mean, we had long stretches of the season where we were ineffective last year with Hill and Kelce. What makes anyone think inserting Hopkins or Metcalf makes that different?

And look, i think it's much more important this offseason to get the DLine to where we can effectively and consistently pressure with 4 than it is to have a slightly more number oneish offense than the number one offense we currently have. I mean, come on. I don't know why that's controversial. I think that and protecting Mahomes should be the priorities. But I guess that's just nuts.

Yeah, let's sign Metcalf or Hopkins and get Wylie back for minimum wage and do that again. Maybe we'll just plug him in at left tackle. AND have no legit answer at DE other than George.

For ****'s sake.
Dunno if this is agreeing or disagreeing with me! I've pretty much been a "keep the offence elite, screw the defence" guy so I guess disagreeing, to some extent. But even I will admit the DL is putrid, in need of an overhaul, and probably the single biggest flaw in this team. On offence we're worst at OT, specifically RT, so again I'm fine if we prioritise that. I just don't think it's insane to work back from building an elite WR group, and I think we can get adequate at RT and probably DT in FA, maybe better at DE as well.

Honestly though, I'm not that keen on trades that give up anything in the top 3 rounds. There's obvious exceptions but we've got enough positions we could use the picks. But if I'm not paying Hopkins $20m and giving up a late second, or whatever it would take, I'm also not that keen on giving up $20m on JJSS. Big money on so-so players leaves you with as many holes to fill.

My overall preference right now is probably not to trade for a WR getting up in years and losing a pick, I think we're just going to have to hit on one in the first 3RDs. But I'd be waaaay less frustrated if we used our first pick on a WR than most I think, if it was a hit.
[Reply]
JPH83 03:20 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I have a hard time seeing it at this point.

Smith-Schuster has been good for KC this year, but I don't think he has done anything that is irreplaceable (I sound like DJ now, don't I?).

What Skyy Moore has flashed when Smith-Schuster was unavailable makes me think that's probably the guy that fills Juju's role when he departs.

Hope he gets a huge deal, though. He will deserve it after helping KC win the Super Bowl.
I think this is EXACTLY how he'll be used and where we'll get value from him, with a little more usage in the same quick hits/YAC stuff we've got to him (on limited targets). Maybe JJSS is a little better against zone but he's not any better against man at this point, imo, than a lot of other guys.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:38 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Dunno if this is agreeing or disagreeing with me! I've pretty much been a "keep the offence elite, screw the defence" guy so I guess disagreeing, to some extent. But even I will admit the DL is putrid, in need of an overhaul, and probably the single biggest flaw in this team. On offence we're worst at OT, specifically RT, so again I'm fine if we prioritise that. I just don't think it's insane to work back from building an elite WR group, and I think we can get adequate at RT and probably DT in FA, maybe better at DE as well.

Honestly though, I'm not that keen on trades that give up anything in the top 3 rounds. There's obvious exceptions but we've got enough positions we could use the picks. But if I'm not paying Hopkins $20m and giving up a late second, or whatever it would take, I'm also not that keen on giving up $20m on JJSS. Big money on so-so players leaves you with as many holes to fill.

My overall preference right now is probably not to trade for a WR getting up in years and losing a pick, I think we're just going to have to hit on one in the first 3RDs. But I'd be waaaay less frustrated if we used our first pick on a WR than most I think, if it was a hit.
I'm not against drafting a WR in the first. Hell, I'm advocating for drafting and developing our WR corps so we don't have to pay top of the market FA's.

And let's be clear, Juju and that level of WR's are getting near $20m. So if you want to 'improve' to a clear '#1WR', then better be prepared to pay north of that and to NOT solve OT or DE this offseason, other than the draft-which we know is not likely to be an immediate impact drafting #30ish.

We have 33 people under contract for '23. THIRTY THREE.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:48 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Not necessarily arguing, but that's pretty much the exact formula GB has followed since AR became the starter. Veach and Andy might seriously consider an alternate strategy other than "we'll just have Mahomes make everyone better and bear the vast majority of the load for the team's total success for the next 15 years."

IF there's a value FA WR out there at some point, he should be considered very seriously. Especially since w can't realistically expect Kelce to keep performing at his current level for that many more years. Like maybe 2? 3 on the outside?
1)Green Bay largely drafted like shit, other than a few hits.
2)There isn't really such a thing as a 'value FA WR' anymore.
3)this WR corps wasn't a 'Mahomes will make everybody better' plan. If that was the plan, they'd have kept and elevated Pringle and Drob. This WR corps was a 'let's get some professional receivers with varied skillsets and run the offense' plan.
4) WR is, right now, the most overpaid position on the field. Everyone went nuts last offseason trying to keep up with Mahomes/Hill. It's kind of hilarious that we sent Hill packing and have the #1 offense in football while everyone else spent like a half a billion dollars trying to beat us.

There is no spending out way to a Super Bowl plan to be had anymore. We're paying the Patrick Price. Totally worth it. But it does mean we have to be thrifty in FA, and draft and develop our own talent.
[Reply]
Chief3188 03:48 PM 01-02-2023
I think if Juju would take a slightly higher MVS type deal then I would love for us to keep him. He fits the team and is a team first guy, not to mention he has reliable hands. If they gave him 3 for 40-45 I wouldn't hate it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:55 PM 01-02-2023
I'm not against drafting a WR in the first. Hell, I'm advocating for drafting and developing our WR corps so we don't have to pay top of the market FA's.

And let's be clear, Juju and that level of WR's are getting near $20m. So if you want to 'improve' to a clear '#1WR', then better be prepared to pay north of that and to NOT solve OT or DE this offseason, other than the draft-which we know is not likely to be an immediate impact drafting #30ish.

We have 33 people under contract for '23. THIRTY THREE.
Yeah - the 'we have plenty of cap for next season!' crowd hasn't really looked at our roster for next year.

It's awfully tight, fellas. That cap space is gonna dry up much faster than you think.

Gotta be smart. Every year.
[Reply]
DenverChief 03:57 PM 01-02-2023
I mean I wouldn't spend it on Barkley, but I 100% agree with your outlook on the Mahomes restructures.

Remember that every time we restructure him, it just moves money down the road. So you'd better have a damn good reason to do it.

I don't think JJSS qualifies. Especially not with it looking like that's probably the role that Moore will be most successful in anyway. And I still don't know that I see anything special in JJSS; he's just a guy who catches balls in traffic and gets hit. Lots of guys can do that.

You don't pay guys to be products of the offense; it's pissing away a market efficiency. You draft/develop those guys OR you find them on value contracts looking to re-establish their worth. Or get them on cheaper 3-year deals where they can outplay their pay.

But you don't pay retail for a guy like that, IMO.
Disagree about letting JJSS walk - Skyy really hasn't shown much to date. Either he is struggling with chemistry with Mahomes or he isn't grasping the offense.

His season stat line is:

297 Snaps 22 Rec on 33 Tgts for 250 yds, 7.6 YPT, 1 Drop and 0 TDs

Justin Watson sees the field more with even more dismal numbers

444 Snaps 14 Rec on 32 Tgts for 248 yds, 7.8 YPT, 5 drops and 2 TDs

MVS - 704 Snaps 39 Rec on 75 Tgts for 660 Yds, 8.8 YPT, 5 drops and 2 TDs

But JJSS isn't worth it. I don't think you realize how important he is to this offense. All he does is catch 1st downs. There is NO WAY Skyy or Watson or MVS could make up his production.

JJSS - 690 snaps 76 Rec on 99 Tgts for 898 Yds, 11.8 YPT, 4 drops 3 TDs
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:58 PM 01-02-2023
The Chiefs aren't keeping Hardman or likely JuJu, either. Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid now have a reputation for getting receivers paid.

They will pluck receivers from the trash bin and rehab their images.
[Reply]
DenverChief 04:00 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
The Chiefs aren't keeping Hardman or likely JuJu, either. Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid now have a reputation for getting receivers paid.

They will pluck receivers from the trash bin and rehab their images.
Hardman is gone - Toney is his replacement. No way they let JJSS walk.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:05 PM 01-02-2023
1)Green Bay largely drafted like shit, other than a few hits.
2)There isn't really such a thing as a 'value FA WR' anymore.
3)this WR corps wasn't a 'Mahomes will make everybody better' plan. If that was the plan, they'd have kept and elevated Pringle and Drob. This WR corps was a 'let's get some professional receivers with varied skillsets and run the offense' plan.
4) WR is, right now, the most overpaid position on the field. Everyone went nuts last offseason trying to keep up with Mahomes/Hill. It's kind of hilarious that we sent Hill packing and have the #1 offense in football while everyone else spent like a half a billion dollars trying to beat us.

There is no spending out way to a Super Bowl plan to be had anymore. We're paying the Patrick Price. Totally worth it. But it does mean we have to be thrifty in FA, and draft and develop our own talent.
I said before the season started that I was going to be fascinated by the Dolphins/Raiders/Eagles vs. the Chiefs/Packers/Titans approach.

It's gutted the Titans. Just absolutely killed them. Because they don't have a force multiplier under center and NOTHING to complement their running game.

It goosed the Eagles big time. AJ Brown has had a massive impact on their offense.

But it got the Raiders and Dolphins very little. It didn't hurt the Chiefs one whit and ultimately I think the mistake the Packers made was 1) to not ad ANY reliable veteran depth to replace Adams and 2) To act like Rodgers is still Rodgers.

The early returns say that paying a haul for a WR probably isn't a great idea, especially not if you trade a bucket of picks for the right to do so. If you have a great QB, he can make his WR corps if you have solid representative talent (The Chiefs). But you can't just expect your QB to work with scraps and rookies or you're gonna have a rough go of it for awhile (Packers).

On the flipside, If you have a bad QB, there's not much a great WR can do about it (i.e. The Raiders). So I guess your middle ground is that if you have a solid young QB, especially one on a rookie deal, you can probably benefit from adding a high-end WR to the team because it shouldn't preclude you from surrounding that duo with good complementary talent (Eagles). I mean even the Dophins won 8 straight games that Tua started/finished to begin the season. So they clearly benefited for awhile. I'm honestly not real sure why the wheels flew off in Miami.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:07 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by DenverChief:
Hardman is gone - Toney is his replacement. No way they let JJSS walk.
Have you seen the WR FA class for next year? It's terrible.

Not a deep WR draft class either.

JJSS is going to cash in big and we can't afford it.
[Reply]
-King- 04:10 PM 01-02-2023
I said before the season started that I was going to be fascinated by the Dolphins/Raiders/Eagles vs. the Chiefs/Packers/Titans approach.

It's gutted the Titans. Just absolutely killed them. Because they don't have a force multiplier under center and NOTHING to complement their running game.

It goosed the Eagles big time. AJ Brown has had a massive impact on their offense.

But it got the Raiders and Dolphins very little. It didn't hurt the Chiefs one whit and ultimately I think the mistake the Packers made was 1) to not ad ANY reliable veteran depth to replace Adams and 2) To act like Rodgers is still Rodgers.

The early returns say that paying a haul for a WR probably isn't a great idea, especially not if you trade a bucket of picks for the right to do so. If you have a great QB, he can make his WR corps if you have solid representative talent (The Chiefs). But you can't just expect your QB to work with scraps and rookies or you're gonna have a rough go of it for awhile (Packers).

On the flipside, If you have a bad QB, there's not much a great WR can do about it (i.e. The Raiders). So I guess your middle ground is that if you have a solid young QB, especially one on a rookie deal, you can probably benefit from adding a high-end WR to the team because it shouldn't preclude you from surrounding that duo with good complementary talent (Eagles). I mean even the Dophins won 8 straight games that Tua started/finished to begin the season. So they clearly benefited for awhile. I'm honestly not real sure why the wheels flew off in Miami.
Tua kept getting concussed and he's teams sit on his floating passes. If he had more zip to his passes it would still work. And there's no telling how much the concussions have fucked him up.
[Reply]
DenverChief 04:11 PM 01-02-2023
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Have you seen the WR FA class for next year? It's terrible.

Not a deep WR draft class either.

JJSS is going to cash in big and we can't afford it.
SO literally the answer is to let your best WR walk and pray someone gets better? Thats not a plan that's stupid. He will get a decent contract but we can afford it - Especially with Frank Clark getting his walking papers. We can't afford to not pay JJSS.
[Reply]
Page 83 of 97
« First < 33737980818283 8485868793 > Last »
Up