View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 80 of 343
« First < 30707677787980 8182838490130180 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
O.city 09:21 AM 07-13-2022
In today's NFL, you just aren't going to keep a group together that long. If you keep this current OL together for 3 years, you've done a great job. COnsider that a win and look to replace.

Teams turnover entire rosters in 2/3 years.
[Reply]
Hoover 09:23 AM 07-13-2022
Calm down guys, Bart Veach is about to bend this dude over. This deal will be considered a steal once the next LT does a deal.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:25 AM 07-13-2022
Just pay him & move on.

He has Bart Vagich by the balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BossChief 09:31 AM 07-13-2022
One could argue that LTs are more important than WRs and Edge Rushers due to their scarcity.

Top WRs are getting 28-30m aav
Top Edge guys are getting 27-28m aav

If we can ink Orlando for 24-25m aav that’s a good deal and we’re just lucky for the timing that the position is still that affordable at the top.
[Reply]
Balto 09:47 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
One could argue that LTs are more important than WRs and Edge Rushers due to their scarcity.

Top WRs are getting 28-30m aav
Top Edge guys are getting 27-28m aav

If we can ink Orlando for 24-25m aav that’s a good deal and we’re just lucky for the timing that the position is still that affordable at the top.

I'd argue that LT is NOT as important as it once was and with a guy like Mahomes, OG and OC are way more important than elite tackles.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:48 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Counterpoint that I'm not convinced of: QB1 is locked in so you have a fixed point there. If LT is the position you consider the 2nd most important position on the team (I think I do), then that's exactly the position where you SHOULD be allocating large chunks of that cap increase.

My concern isn't resetting the market. I think that's appropriate for a player of that caliber. My concern is that I don't see Brown as being of that caliber. I think he's a very good, very valuable player and worth top 5 T money and a kicker over what Stanley got given the rise in the cap. But I don't think he's the kind of player that should re-set the cap.

This kind of insanity absolutely wrecked the QB market. If you'll recall, for about a decade, there just was no QB middle class. Just about everyone who signed a new deal was out to set the market. And that's just not tenable, IMO.

Somebody's gonna have to hold their ground here and it would seem the Chiefs are the first team with a chance to do so.
Yep if he was Willie Roaf good that is one thing but he isn't.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:50 AM 07-13-2022
It still all comes down to structure. Nothing this week has changed that.

If he wants an AAV of $30M per year, that makes completing an extension harder.

But, again, maybe he's fine with a 6-year deal that includes payments at the top of the current AAV market (22M/year) for the first 4-5 years of the deal, with a couple of obvious "balloon" years at the end that are funny money. (6/160, with 90M paid over the first four years in actual dollars, but around 85 in cap dollars, and a year 5 that has a 30M value and a year 6 that has a 40M value).

If 6/145 is still the mark Brown is shooting for, I think that remains really do-able, even if less of the money is made-up/funny money on Year 6.

My take remains to keep the top 10 LT unless he's really looking for $30M AAV in real money. That doesn't seem in line with the way the market is working right now, but he does have a first-time agent.

So we'll see what happens. I suspect it still will, and still be pretty reasonable in the long view. This smells to me like his agent/people driving some stories in the media right as they begin negotiating the contact extension in earnest. But we'll see!

If Brown ends up playing this year on the tag, justifying the payday that was deemed too high this year or even warranting a bigger payday, and the Chiefs move on, KC still extracted a ton of value from the picks they traded to get him (getting the pick that became Nick Bolton back as well as the two reasonable cost controlled years plus whatever they would get in the tag and trade situation next year). Some will use that as a reason to say it was a bad trade. But they'd still be off.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:53 AM 07-13-2022
Where’s the 30m aav stuff coming from?
[Reply]
-King- 10:09 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
That's what everyone that screams "the cap is going up" seems to miss. So are players salary.

It's not liek the cap is going up and up and players are gonna make what they did in 2018. It's not the way it works.
Yeah that's what I don't get. It's not like it's just going to be OBJ gets a raise and all other players salaries stay flat. It's all going to even out.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 10:22 AM 07-13-2022
Extend him. Easy call for a future a HOF-er.

If not, who gives a fuck? He sucks anyway.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 10:23 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Extend him. Easy call for a future a HOF-er.

If not, who gives a ****? He sucks anyway.
Lol.

You just summed up the majority of CP with 2 sentences.

Well done. :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:24 AM 07-13-2022
Pressures allowed

Trent Williams - 16

Rashawn Slater - 26

Orlando Brown Jr. - 37
[Reply]
O.city 10:24 AM 07-13-2022
You've got positional importance and all in his favor, but say you overpay OBJ.

In a year or two someone is walking that you'd like to keep. Be it Humphrey or whoever.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:32 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
You've got positional importance and all in his favor, but say you overpay OBJ.

In a year or two someone is walking that you'd like to keep. Be it Humphrey or whoever.
I remember being most irritated about the Clark deal because it would cost us Jones. But I think ultimately Veach has shown that he can keep any ONE player he truly wants to keep. It's not that hard to structure stuff as needed.

But the Clark deal eventually likely cost us Tyreek Hill because of the avalanche it created. It required that we 'borrow' ahead on a lot of other deals in ways that structured massive hits into last season, this season and next season. And as we've hit the big numbers in some of those deals and haven't had any cap rollover to deal with them, we've just run out of runway.

Every contract that's upside down in surplus value is creating an opportunity cost. Maybe that bill doesn't come due immediately, but it absolutely does come due. And every time you kick the can, the noose gets tighter (how's THAT for mixing metaphors...)
[Reply]
RunKC 10:44 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I remember being most irritated about the Clark deal because it would cost us Jones. But I think ultimately Veach has shown that he can keep any ONE player he truly wants to keep. It's not that hard to structure stuff as needed.

But the Clark deal eventually likely cost us Tyreek Hill because of the avalanche it created. It required that we 'borrow' ahead on a lot of other deals in ways that structured massive hits into last season, this season and next season. And as we've hit the big numbers in some of those deals and haven't had any cap rollover to deal with them, we've just run out of runway.

Every contract that's upside down in surplus value is creating an opportunity cost. Maybe that bill doesn't come due immediately, but it absolutely does come due. And every time you kick the can, the noose gets tighter (how's THAT for mixing metaphors...)
The Frank Clark debacle wasn’t money that killed us. We could have kept Tyreek Hill even at his current rate.

The problem was we had 1 first rd draft pick in the 4 years after we drafted Patrick and we used it on a RB. Trading Tyreek was about numbers as much as anything. What good would keeping Tyreek do? Teams figured us out and our defense was comprised of declining old once good players (Clark, Hitchens, Matheiu, Sorenson), a player whose prime will be over in a year or two (Jones) and garbage.

Seriously this team had pitiful garbage like Hughes, Neimann, Sorenson, Clark, Hitchens and Matheiu. It was bad. It was so bad that they brought back Okafor before the season and were damn lucky Ingram was even available.

The defense needed an injection of youth and talent. It’s completely understandable that Veach loaded up on picks in a year that the draft was loaded due to players have stay longer due to Covid.
[Reply]
Page 80 of 343
« First < 30707677787980 8182838490130180 > Last »
Up