View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 79 of 343
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389129179 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:37 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
And why would Veach trade a 1st round pick for Orlando Brown and then give up on him after a year to re-sign the guy who he traded a 1st round pick to replace?
Well, the logic there is we needed OBJ because we had no clue when and if Fisher would be available post-injury and couldn't afford to go into the next season with a patchwork LT.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:39 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Let him reset the market. LT is the 2nd most important position on this team because he's protecting The Legend.

It's not my money, salary cap isn't real, and if it was it's about to go to the moon. In 2 years it'll look like a steal.
We just traded away one of the most dangerous deep threats in league history because of that same salary cap. Yes, the Cap is most assuredly real.

And no, if he's a guy who as a top 5-10 LT is looking to re-set the market (which means getting beyond Trent Williams deal) there's no way that deal looks like a 'steal' in two years.

There's a reasonable number to sign him at and even that's a number many would find unpalatable. But that number ISN'T 're-set the market for LTs' money.

Then again, I just don't know that I buy it. I don't think a guy hires an agent who's never negotiated an NFL deal if he's looking to break the market. That just doesn't make any sense.
[Reply]
O.city 08:40 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
We just traded away one of the most dangerous deep threats in league history because of that same salary cap. Yes, the Cap is most assuredly real.

And no, if he's a guy who as a top 5-10 LT is looking to re-set the market (which means getting beyond Trent Williams deal) there's no way that deal looks like a 'steal' in two years.

There's a reasonable number to sign him at and even that's a number many would find unpalatable. But that number ISN'T 're-set the market for LTs' money.

Then again, I just don't know that I buy it. I don't think a guy hires an agent who's never negotiated an NFL deal if he's looking to break the market. That just doesn't make any sense.
Thinking it thru....

Maybe none of the agents in the business wanted to take him on knowing what he was gonna want because they didn't think it was reasonable or that he could get it?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:40 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Call his bluff. If he wants to Leveon Bell his career. That is on him. Would hate it, but if they have to sign Eric Fisher for a farewell year. Then I'm mildly okay with him and Thuney on that side. I'm sure their will be plenty of teams who want to pay top dollar for a OT who has sat on his blubbery ass developing even bigger bitch tits.
I'd be floored if he sat out. And man that would be a bad decision for him.

Like you said - he's a guy who's going to struggle to stay in football shape. Taking a year off will not do him any favors in the market.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:49 AM 07-13-2022
I've been brought into situations where the incubenants aren't getting the job done. I'm supposed to get whatever needs to be done that the incubenants couldn't get done. Maybe like reset the LT market, maybe most top tier agents' said that's impossible?

Business's regularly bring in outside help. Maybe that's what he was thinking? But, who knows?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:52 AM 07-13-2022
I'd be floored if he sat out. And man that would be a bad decision for him.

Like you said - he's a guy who's going to struggle to stay in football shape. Taking a year off will not do him any favors in the market.
I don't see any upside for him sitting out a year. How does he benefit?
[Reply]
O.city 08:53 AM 07-13-2022
He's also not made a bunch of cash yet, so giving up on a year on the tag woudln't be ideal.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:54 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
Bet if we had a new poll, many of those who voted to pay OBJ, have now changed their minds...

Gonna have to pay him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:57 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by PHOG:
Oof! That's a big wiff there, Alicia.
This is why anytime someone wants to argue with me that some idiot with a blog said a thing, I immediately ignore them.

A byline doesn't mean you're NOT a moron.

That person is a moron.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:03 AM 07-13-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
That's what everyone that screams "the cap is going up" seems to miss. So are players salary.

It's not liek the cap is going up and up and players are gonna make what they did in 2018. It's not the way it works.
Counterpoint that I'm not convinced of: QB1 is locked in so you have a fixed point there. If LT is the position you consider the 2nd most important position on the team (I think I do), then that's exactly the position where you SHOULD be allocating large chunks of that cap increase.

My concern isn't resetting the market. I think that's appropriate for a player of that caliber. My concern is that I don't see Brown as being of that caliber. I think he's a very good, very valuable player and worth top 5 T money and a kicker over what Stanley got given the rise in the cap. But I don't think he's the kind of player that should re-set the cap.

This kind of insanity absolutely wrecked the QB market. If you'll recall, for about a decade, there just was no QB middle class. Just about everyone who signed a new deal was out to set the market. And that's just not tenable, IMO.

Somebody's gonna have to hold their ground here and it would seem the Chiefs are the first team with a chance to do so.
[Reply]
O.city 09:06 AM 07-13-2022
Counterpoint that I'm not convinced of: QB1 is locked in so you have a fixed point there. If LT is the position you consider the 2nd most important position on the team (I think I do), then that's exactly the position where you SHOULD be allocating large chunks of that cap increase.

My concern isn't resetting the market. I think that's appropriate for a player of that caliber. My concern is that I don't see Brown as being of that caliber. I think he's a very good, very valuable player and worth top 5 T money and a kicker over what Stanley got given the rise in the cap. But I don't think he's the kind of player that should re-set the cap.

This kind of insanity absolutely wrecked the QB market. If you'll recall, for about a decade, there just was no QB middle class. Just about everyone who signed a new deal was out to set the market. And that's just not tenable, IMO.

Somebody's gonna have to hold their ground here and it would seem the Chiefs are the first team with a chance to do so.
I think that's probably right. The issue is, with LT being so important, what do you do? You can't just run some backup LT out there for the season, you'd end up with your billion dollar QB hurt.

Again, I think the whole "he doesn't have an agent" saga for so long was crap. At some point, you need to know what you're doing before the draft so you can adjust course if need be. Now maybe Brown knew this and played his hand, I don't know.

But fuck we seem to continue to get into these spots. Maybe it's a league wide thing and I just don't pay enough attention, but it seems like we always have guys that want to be "the highest paid player at their position".
[Reply]
BossChief 09:13 AM 07-13-2022
That's what everyone that screams "the cap is going up" seems to miss. So are players salary.

It's not liek the cap is going up and up and players are gonna make what they did in 2018. It's not the way it works.
it is if you get him on a 6 year deal. 24-25m aav isn’t gonna look bad once structure is out.

Also, Veach said the cap will likely skyrocket starting in 2024.

There are 4-6 high quality LTs that will want big money extensions the next 2 offseasons.

I think the smart move here is to give Orlando a deal averaging a little more than a silverback (who, in retrospect we should have kept bidding for) on a 6 year deal and lock down the position.

Thinking it thru....

Maybe none of the agents in the business wanted to take him on knowing what he was gonna want because they didn't think it was reasonable or that he could get it?
Very possible.

Also, before he hired his agent, he tried to negotiate his own deal with Veach, unsuccessfully.
[Reply]
O.city 09:17 AM 07-13-2022
You make a top 10 LT the highest paid LT in the league, you end up with a Matt Ryan situation.

No thanks.
[Reply]
Balto 09:19 AM 07-13-2022
I think in these NFL times that LT is not as important as say the "entire" OL as a group. You are seeing more and more stunts and switches where rushers come up the middle instead of challenging the tackles.

I'm sure Veach knows he hit the Lotto with Humphrey and Smith, BUT also understands if they both keep on the path they are on BOTH will demand and should get top 5 position contracts. Whats the plan then?

Do you pay a mid level LT market changing money and in a couple of years let Creed or Smith walk?

Seems like Veach is willing to pay Brown around $20M which even at that amount is over paying IMO.

I'd like to see this OL stay together for years but giving Brown the highest LT contract and resetting the market will make that hard to do.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:21 AM 07-13-2022
I'm not stressed about it, but this is why I'm not a big fan of trading for a player on an expiring (or soon-to-be expiring) contract.

Laremy Tunsil showed us that they have you by the balls in these situations.
[Reply]
Page 79 of 343
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389129179 > Last »
Up