ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 77 of 270
« First < 27677374757677 7879808187127177 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do we want DeHop?
ROYC75 01:21 PM 03-01-2023
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...9536dcd3&ei=21

Story by Andrew Gould

The Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl without a star wide receiver, but they could reportedly make an elite offense even scarier by acquiring DeAndre Hopkins.

NFL insider Benjamin Albright told PHNX Cardinals that Kansas City is the "primary suitor" for Hopkins. He doesn't know the draft compensation the Cardinals would receive, but he said it's more likely they get a second-round pick than a first.

After the 2022 season, theScore's Jordan Schultz reported that the Cardinals plan to trade Hopkins this offseason.

Arizona hired a new general manager and head coach after a disappointing four-win season, and Hopkins is set to make $19.45 million (with a $30.75 million cap hit) in 2023. The Cardinals could seek a clean slate by moving the three-time All-Pro wideout, who turns 31 in June.

Hopkins began his Cardinals career by tallying 1,407 yards and six touchdowns in 2020. However, multiple lower body injuries limited him to 10 games in 2021, and he served a six-game suspension to start the 2022 season for violating the NFL's PED policy.

Yet he remains an impact player when on the field. Hopkins totaled 474 receiving yards in six full games with quarterback Kyler Murray last season.

Now imagine what he can accomplish when catching passes from Patrick Mahomes.

The Chiefs flourished without a star replacement for Tyreek Hill, but they could still benefit by solidifying the position this offseason. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a free agent after garnering 78 catches for 933 yards on a one-year deal. The depth chart features several talented question marks in Mecole Hardman, Kadarius Toney, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Adding Hopkins could be great news for Kansas City, but terrible for all opposing defenses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we want a high priced prima donna?
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 01:31 AM 03-17-2023
Does Veach want him? If yes, then I’m on board.

If BV and his crew say ‘nah, pass’, then I’m good with that.

I think Burt Vatch and his boys have earned our trust enough to know when to add the right player to fit our team (or subtract, if you will)

Trust in Veach and Co.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:04 AM 03-17-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Veach is not going to give up a 2nd day draft pick and he damn sure isnt paying him $19 mil this year and $15 mil the year after that. If he wasn't ok giving JJSS (27 years old in November) a 3 yr/$33 mil, then why in the **** does anyone think he's gonna give DHop (31 years old before TC) 2 yr $34 mil? Don't bring up how he was better than Juju 3 years ago either, because he's not that guy anymore.

Even if they thought DHop is a better player now than Juju it still wouldn't make sense. The Chiefs know Juju is a 1000 yd guy in this offense if he plays 17 games (933 in 15 games last year) and if they think Hopkins is a 1200 yd guy, then you really think they think Hopkins is worth $6 mil/yr more + draft pick(s)?

It just doesn't make any sense.
If Hopkins gets 1000+ yards and stays healthy (i get that healthy is an if) how is it even a question that this is better than juju? The offense opened up juju. The reason some are interested in a WR1 is we HAVE to give mahomes a bailout option. We can’t keep expecting him to do magic tricks in the pocket to get guys open.

Remember the days of “**** it, tyreek somewhere”? Mahomes deserves a bailout option who can actually make adjustments to the ball and catch anything remotely close to their body. We need a legit red zone option so we’re not running circus plays on short yardage or fields. And even though I love our efficient offense, it sure as hell would be nice to go deep again instead of relying exclusively on Mvs and holding your breath that he’ll adjust to the ball. If DHop is even somewhat close to what he once was, then less than $20m is an absolute steal

Really don’t think people process how much better this offense gets with a legit WR1. Despite our statistical production last year
[Reply]
In58men 07:17 AM 03-17-2023
He's been GM since 2017. I've got a pretty good read on what he wants to do with player acquisition. He doesn't sign or acquire old broke dicks. He wasn't comfortable giving Juju $11 mil, but he's gonna be comfortable giving Hopkins $17 mil a year? He's not an idiot.
Did you really just call Hopkins a broke dick? :-)

I ****ing love this place
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:22 AM 03-17-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
If Hopkins gets 1000+ yards and stays healthy (i get that healthy is an if) how is it even a question that this is better than juju? The offense opened up juju. The reason some are interested in a WR1 is we HAVE to give mahomes a bailout option. We can’t keep expecting him to do magic tricks in the pocket to get guys open.

Remember the days of “**** it, tyreek somewhere”? Mahomes deserves a bailout option who can actually make adjustments to the ball and catch anything remotely close to their body. We need a legit red zone option so we’re not running circus plays on short yardage or fields. And even though I love our efficient offense, it sure as hell would be nice to go deep again instead of relying exclusively on Mvs and holding your breath that he’ll adjust to the ball. If DHop is even somewhat close to what he once was, then less than $20m is an absolute steal

Really don’t think people process how much better this offense gets with a legit WR1. Despite our statistical production last year

A lot of its right now.

If Toney stays healthy.

If Kelce doesn't break down.

If Moore takes a step.

We're adding something before the draft.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:29 AM 03-17-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:

The days of '**** it, Tyreek down there somewhere' were paying diminishing returns. Defenses had, by 2021, turned Hill into a possession receiver, at 11.2 yards per catch. Juju, for example, had a higher YPC by almost a full yard.

And in '22, we had more 'explosive plays', more yards, scored more TD's and were much more efficient all around.

So, 'despite our statistical production last year' is really saying 'despite actual evidence to the contrary'.

It would be GREAT to have a star WR, but it's not a wise investment to go BUY one, because no, statistically speaking, and with a full season's worth of evidence, this offense is more efficient AND explosive when it spreads the ball around. If you go BUY an elite WR, then you have to justify that cap number and the offense becomes more predictable, like Hill in 2021.

I'm all for drafting WR's high. I'm hopeful that Toney can stay healthy, because if he can, then we have a top end WR right there.

But I'm not for paying over 30 WR's that haven't finished a season since 2020.

Now, if Veach goes for it, alright, but that doesn't fit anything he's done at all for the last four years. He hasn't shelled out big money for anyone over 30.
[Reply]
tredadda 07:35 AM 03-17-2023
He's been GM since 2017. I've got a pretty good read on what he wants to do with player acquisition. He doesn't sign or acquire old broke dicks. He wasn't comfortable giving Juju $11 mil, but he's gonna be comfortable giving Hopkins $17 mil a year? He's not an idiot.
Like McKinnon?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:36 AM 03-17-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Like McKinnon?
Big difference between a vet minimum deal and near $20m per.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 07:42 AM 03-17-2023
Other than Ealy, not familiar with the Chiefs and PEDs
[Reply]
tredadda 07:45 AM 03-17-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
The days of '**** it, Tyreek down there somewhere' were paying diminishing returns. Defenses had, by 2021, turned Hill into a possession receiver, at 11.2 yards per catch. Juju, for example, had a higher YPC by almost a full yard.

And in '22, we had more 'explosive plays', more yards, scored more TD's and were much more efficient all around.

So, 'despite our statistical production last year' is really saying 'despite actual evidence to the contrary'.

It would be GREAT to have a star WR, but it's not a wise investment to go BUY one, because no, statistically speaking, and with a full season's worth of evidence, this offense is more efficient AND explosive when it spreads the ball around. If you go BUY an elite WR, then you have to justify that cap number and the offense becomes more predictable, like Hill in 2021.

I'm all for drafting WR's high. I'm hopeful that Toney can stay healthy, because if he can, then we have a top end WR right there.

Now, if Veach goes for it, alright, but that doesn't fit anything he's done at all for the last four years. He hasn't shelled out big money for anyone over 30.
The biggest concern I have is that Kelce is so good still that he's our pseudo #1 WR. Take him out and who does Mahomes go to in must convert situations? KC will have to address this sooner or later. Not saying Hopkins is the solution, but it is something that will need addressing. Our offense was diverse last year, but look at Kelce's numbers. They went to him a lot and rightfully so despite the "diversity".
[Reply]
tredadda 07:46 AM 03-17-2023
Big difference between a vet minimum deal and near $20m per.
Fair enough.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:01 AM 03-17-2023
The biggest concern I have is that Kelce is so good still that he's our pseudo #1 WR. Take him out and who does Mahomes go to in must convert situations? KC will have to address this sooner or later. Not saying Hopkins is the solution, but it is something that will need addressing. Our offense was diverse last year, but look at Kelce's numbers. They went to him a lot and rightfully so despite the "diversity".
Sure. Kelce's age is a concern. I think his game will age well, because a lot of it is based on just knowing exactly where to sit down against zone, and a weird telepathy with Patrick.

As for what would happen should Kelce miss time, well, we don't really know. Is it entirely possible that Noah Gray steps up? Not that he would equal Kelce, but enough to keep the offense functional?

We haven't seen it in the game, because the situation hasn't happened. But we're not at every practice. We don't know. What Veach does the rest of the way and through the draft will tell us what the front office and coaching staff thinks.

There will be additions to the WR room, I'm sure. I don't see a reason for pessimism, though. This team isn't complete, and neither is any other. I mean, look at The Bills. Look at Cinci. Are they better RIGHT NOW than at the end of the year? Definitely not.

It's real early in the offseason, and I trust Veach.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:30 AM 03-17-2023
Originally Posted by In58men:
Did you really just call Hopkins a broke dick? :-)

I ****ing this place
Honestly people are pretty fucking retarded when it comes to Hopkins... Had someone argue that he isn't better than Derrick Mason...
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:38 AM 03-17-2023

I’m not saying we need to just chuck the ball up. But what mahomes doesn’t have is a WR with a catch radius. Whether you’re back shouldering it, high point, fades or even just wrestling for position… so mahomes’ option 9 times out of 10 is to throw a perfect ball to a WR who’s wide open. The most glaring example is Mvs who has been really bad at adjusting to the ball.

Part of efficiency is being able to get rid of the ball quickly. that also goes a long way to keeping mahomes on his feet and helping the OL out. Other teams can throw quick sideline routes knowing their WR will find a way to make the play. We don’t have that. And that’s a big miss. Just because mahomes is capable of doing magic tricks in the pocket doesn’t mean it’s ideal. And it’s not something you want to sustain into his 30s. At some point you have to give him some WRs who can help him out before the pass is thrown.

Again, you can talk statistical production til we’re blue in the face. We are better in a lot of ways but we still have gaps. Now, does that mean Hopkins is the answer? I have no idea. Depends on health and compensation. But the idea that the right fit, right comp $20m option isn’t a huge help to our offense is nonsense.
[Reply]
O.city 08:41 AM 03-17-2023
The Chiefs don't throw those balls though, they're more about separation.

So if you wanna trade for a WR and pay one, it should probably be more along the lines of a Brandon Aiyuk or a younger guy like that.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:43 AM 03-17-2023
Kelces role in this offense is criminally underplayed.

The chiefs would make do without him, but it is a big blow. We can mitigate that blow by simply having a WR1.

Furthermore, the way some teams like Tennessee and Jacksonville and New England brutalize kelce with mostly illegal contact… you can’t ask kelce to keep taking that role on at this stage in his career. We’ve got to also start asking him to do less to prolong his career.
[Reply]
Page 77 of 270
« First < 27677374757677 7879808187127177 > Last »
Up