ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 73 of 95
« First < 23636970717273 7475767783 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>**** Official 2021-2022 NHL Thread ****
Bearcat 06:06 PM 07-21-2021

[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:43 PM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
But yeah, they looked freakin' dead in game 2... elevation is just as good of an explanation as any, because they were flat out bad.
yeah, they looked as bad in game 2 as that minor league hockey team we saw in Independence years ago. :-)

The Avs look like a great team. Fantastic speed. Those counting out the Bolts…… even my sparse knowledge of hockey I can see the Bolts can make this a great finals.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:46 PM 06-20-2022
Yeah, and people only talk about it when the local sports teams win... it's not like the Avalanche were awful for the past few seasons when they were losing at home in the playoffs (outside of the bubble).

And Cooper said TB had been in Denver for a week.

TB is just far more in sync tonight... their offense looks like the difference between 'just go out there and score' and actually executing a plan. And they're actually playing the full length of the ice instead of letting the Avalanche skate from their defensive zone through the neutral zone with very little resistance.
I was reading this elevation excuse in this thread and was getting ready to post… they were there for a week before the puck dropped. They looked like shit in NY for the first two games. No elevation there.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:50 PM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I was reading this elevation excuse in this thread and was getting ready to post… they were there for a week before the puck dropped. They looked like shit in NY for the first two games. No elevation there.
Saw one Bolts fan on reddit with some "gee, maybe the elevation matters" snark and I responded.... I mean, I guess the ice at MSG is on the 8th floor of the building. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:01 PM 06-20-2022
Saw one Bolts fan on reddit with some "gee, maybe the elevation matters" snark and I responded.... I mean, I guess the ice at MSG is on the 8th floor of the building. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 05:30 AM 06-21-2022
"First team in 100+ years to win a game after losing the previous game by 7"
:-)
I mean, okay, but that’s just data that doesn’t merit mention. Someone found it, sure, but there’s just no good reason to tell all of us about it. It tells us nothing about anything.

I hear more and more of this kind of thing in sports these days.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:14 AM 06-21-2022
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco:
I mean, okay, but that’s just data that doesn’t merit mention. Someone found it, sure, but there’s just no good reason to tell all of us about it. It tells us nothing about anything.

I hear more and more of this kind of thing in sports these days.
I think it's just the proliferation of data about every little bit if minutiae. Every time something mildly unique happens, someone out there says "I wonder if that's ever happened before?" And it only takes a few minutes to query a database to get the answer.

Every once in a while, there's something truly interesting. But yeah, a vast majority of the time it's not really all that notable.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:15 AM 06-21-2022
I don't want to just blame Kuemper - clearly the Bolts were getting far better shots in game 3 than they were in the first two. But...

[Reply]
Bearcat 08:57 AM 06-21-2022
Interesting... yeah, Kuemper made some huge saves early and it's another one of those games where you define want him to make a couple more saves, but there's blame to go around on the defensive end, too.

It just goes back to whether he can be great if they have to win only scoring a goal or two.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:14 AM 06-21-2022
Interesting... yeah, Kuemper made some huge saves early and it's another one of those games where you define want him to make a couple more saves, but there's blame to go around on the defensive end, too.

It just goes back to whether he can be great if they have to win only scoring a goal or two.
Yeah, and to be fair, it was a 50/50 "deserve to win" kind of game until the third period, where the Bolts just sat back and let Vasy do his thing. I think that's one of the weird things about this series - the team who gets up early has a HUGE advantage because it forces the other team off their game. Though Vasy hasn't looked unbeatable, I don't think we're gonna see a ton of comebacks for the Avs if they get down by 2+ goals.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 09:19 AM 06-21-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think it's just the proliferation of data about every little bit if minutiae. Every time something mildly unique happens, someone out there says "I wonder if that's ever happened before?" And it only takes a few minutes to query a database to get the answer.

Every once in a while, there's something truly interesting. But yeah, a vast majority of the time it's not really all that notable.
Makes sense that access to robust databases are driving a good bit of this. And I’m a data guy. Data visualization has been my specialty since before it was called data visualization. But the thing is, can I draw out the meaning behind the data and convey that clearly? If not, it’s a waste of everyone’s time and attention.

And attention is a precious commodity. If I ask people to pay me some of their limited attention, I’m not going to get a lot of chances if I keep serving up junk data in return. (And as an aside, there’s a DC lesson for me somewhere in there. I wonder if I’ll pay it any attention?)

I guess this is both one of the blessings and curses of living in the Information Age rather than the Meaning Age.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 12:46 PM 06-21-2022
Different game outside of that cheap pile high air huh?
[Reply]
DaFace 06:03 PM 06-21-2022
Makar wins the Norris. It seems like I should care more, but there are bigger goals now...
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:35 PM 06-21-2022
Makar wins the Norris. It seems like I should care more, but there are bigger goals now...
Darryl The Office Darryl Philbin GIFfrom Darryl The Office GIFs

[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:21 PM 06-21-2022
I was just happy with winning a playoff game in 20+ years. Then that wasn’t enough. I wanted a SB championship after that. I had to wait a few more years but it happened.

You’ll have to wait a few more years but it’ll happen for you in hockey too. :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:49 AM 06-22-2022
As uninteresting as the past two games have been (wouldn't necessarily say boring just because of the scores), it really sets up a game 4 where you really have no freakin clue what's going to happen.

Any other teams, I'd say it's likely a full reset to a game 1 style (not this series' game 1) defensive battle, but even when the Avalanche have really focused on helping out Francouz, they still scored 4 goals and had 30+ shots.

Strange how it's worked out... after game 1 I wanted 6 more OT games. But then after 7-0 and now wanting to rebound from 6-2, it puts a little pressure to "salvage" a 3 game to 1 lead tonight. And I don’t pay a ton of attention to the talking heads, but they were REALLY trying to make a goalie controversy during game 3, so it would be annoying to have to listen to the same old narratives given another loss.... but hey, at least altitude will be on their side for 2 out of 3 after tonight. :-)
[Reply]
Page 73 of 95
« First < 23636970717273 7475767783 > Last »
Up