ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 70 of 469
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120170 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Scaga 07:21 AM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Vinnie should be up right now.
along with anybody else that may have a clue how to hit a baseball
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 07:38 AM 05-10-2022
You guys gotta remember there is a new rule this year. If you win rookie of the year, you get off the team 1 year earlier so you can go to the Dodgers. Thats why mid market teams are slowplaying their rookies so much. Juan Yepez just got called up and VP is better than him easily.
[Reply]
ChiTown 10:09 AM 05-10-2022
So, I didn't even get 45 days into the season before my optimism for the Royals hit the shitter. It's just a flat awful team.

Our lineup is shit: 13 HR's and 71 RBI = 2nd worst and worst in MLB. As for pitching, we are last in K's and 27th in WHIP - I realize we have played the fewest games in MLB, but those stats wouldn't change much with playing 3-4 more games.

I'm just sitting (im)patiently waiting for Matheny and Dayton Moore to GTFO of KC forever. A day that CAN NOT come soon enough for me.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:10 AM 05-10-2022

While we’re promising to stop talking about certain people, here’s another.

Ryan O’Hearn has literally been the worst player in Major League Baseball since 2019. There are 354 hitters with at least 500 PA since 2019. Ryan O’Hearn is dead last in fWAR with -2.5.

— Royals Farm Report (@RoyalsFarm) May 10, 2022

[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:44 AM 05-10-2022
Here's some damning stuff from Alec Lewis of The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3302115/2022...shared_article

Royals’ fan apathy is setting in again. What will it take to maintain interest this time?

Originally Posted by :
It’s difficult to view these situations and not harken back to last year. On the pitching side, Jakob Junis proved to be one of the Royals’ best pitchers through six outings. He had a 3.47 ERA. Then the Royals demoted him to the bullpen. He allowed five runs in his first outing. Neither pitching coach Cal Eldred nor bullpen coach Larry Carter seemed to help Junis gain his form.

This is relevant in that Junis is now pitching for the San Francisco Giants. In 15 innings (including one start), he has a 1.20 ERA. Dig deeper, and you’ll notice some interesting elements in his pitch mix. In 2019, Junis threw 33.7 percent four-seamers, 29.7 percent sliders and 17.3 percent sinkers. This season, he’s throwing 54.9 percent sliders, 22.1 percent sinkers and 6.9 percent four-seamers. His slider is his best pitch. His four-seam has long been one of his worst. Flip-flopping the usage has worked wonders. So has a changeup. The Royals wanted Junis to turn over the pitch rather than throw a splitter. Given his slot, that was not an easy task.

Interestingly, Junis is not the only pitcher to have moved on and succeeded. Brad Boxberger was averaging 90 mph on his four-seam fastball in 2019, and the pitch was dropping 20.1 inches on average. In 2021, after signing with the Milwaukee Brewers, Boxberger was averaging 93.5 mph on his fastball, and the pitch was dropping 14.1 inches on average, enhancing the rise effect and making it much harder to hit. In 2019 with the Royals, Wily Peralta was not throwing a splitter. Now with the Tigers, it’s the pitch he earns more whiffs on than any other. Jorge López is throwing nearly four mph faster with the Baltimore Orioles this season than he did with the Royals in 2019. Tampa Bay Rays reliever Jason Adam is one of the best in baseball this season. He’s throwing a changeup most often (he only threw the pitch 7.9 percent with the Royals in 2018) and utilizing a slider, which he did not throw with the Royals.

Notably, current Royals big leaguers are not ignorant of the strides others have made elsewhere.

On the hitting side, it’s much of the same. In 2021, Jorge Soler was struggling mightily. Matheny did not seem to have an answer. “It’s freakish what he can do,” Matheny said last June. “We just continue to look for keys to unlock it.” Hitting coach Terry Bradshaw had trouble finding them. Only when special assignment hitting coach Mike Tosar showed up did Soler transform into the type of hitter that went on to contribute to the Atlanta Braves’ World Series run.

[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 12:36 PM 05-10-2022
The family appeal of the franchise is attractive for players and staff. It's also opposed to necessary changes, because loyalty can keep people from making difficult choices.

But we're at the point where accountability would force some major moves, aren't we?

We're about to learn what kind of owner John Sherman is.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 12:46 PM 05-10-2022
The worst record in baseball since 2000 belongs to your boys in blue :-)
[Reply]
ChiTown 01:00 PM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief:
The family appeal of the franchise is attractive for players and staff. It's also opposed to necessary changes, because loyalty can keep people from making difficult choices.

But we're at the point where accountability would force some major moves, aren't we?

Amen to that.
[Reply]
PHOG 01:07 PM 05-10-2022
Great rid of them. :-)
[Reply]
OKchiefs 01:26 PM 05-10-2022
Not sure how anyone can remain a fan of that sack of shit Dayton Moore.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:43 PM 05-10-2022
The Lewis article is really interesting.

He generally stays very much in a positive framing of things. For him to jump into an article with no real bright side or hopes for optimism, and to call out the performance of position coaches, leads me to believe something might be coming there.

I don't expect a front office shakeup at this point, but we'll see.

I've been saying since the minute they were hired that Matheny and Eldred are (1) bad fits for modern baseball. Period. (2) Really awkward fits for a team that was going to consistently rely on young players, as neither has ever shown an affinity for working with young players.

I also think that if they go into next year with Matheny at the helm, it's Dayton Moore and J.J. Picollo putting their jobs on the line.
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 01:47 PM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Not sure how anyone can remain a fan of that sack of shit Dayton Moore.
I'll always appreciate the guy who put our WS teams together. But moving forward, there has to be accountability for the current staff.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:03 PM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
The worst record in baseball since 2000 belongs to your boys in blue :-)
Royals while having the worst record - have more playoff series wins than the A's, Twins, Indians. Actually the Royals have the same number as those 3 combined.

Royals have the same number of World Series wins as the Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves and Houston Astros.

Royals and Tigers both bottom 5 in winning percentage have 1/4 of the AL's World Series appearances.

Just something to think about how baseball is.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:05 PM 05-10-2022
JJ Picollo: Royals struggles 'not something we expected'
https://www.audacy.com/610sports/spo...ng-we-expected
Originally Posted by :
"Well I think clearly it's been a disappointing start to the season," he said. "And it's not something we expected or anticipated or predicated. We feel like we should be competing at a higher level, at a better level. There are some things we have to look at right now and try to right the ship and get this thing moving in the right direction.

"Like a lot of teams that are going through some struggles, it seems like when you score some runs, you have a let down on the pitching side, or vice versa ... it's a combination of things, but if you look at our offense right now, I think it's one thing if you're not swinging the bat well -- we didn't think we were going to be a team that was going to hit a bunch of home runs -- but we did expect to be a team that will execute at the right time. So when you're not swinging the bats well, but you manage to get some timely, get some two out hits, man on third, less than two outs, you scratch a couple runs across, you'll win more ballgames. But right now we're not swinging the bat well and we're not getting the timely hits or executing situationally."

[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:45 PM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief:

I think a downtown stadium might help for a season.
[Reply]
Page 70 of 469
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120170 > Last »
Up