ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 69 of 270
« First < 19596566676869 7071727379119169 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do we want DeHop?
ROYC75 01:21 PM 03-01-2023
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...9536dcd3&ei=21

Story by Andrew Gould

The Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl without a star wide receiver, but they could reportedly make an elite offense even scarier by acquiring DeAndre Hopkins.

NFL insider Benjamin Albright told PHNX Cardinals that Kansas City is the "primary suitor" for Hopkins. He doesn't know the draft compensation the Cardinals would receive, but he said it's more likely they get a second-round pick than a first.

After the 2022 season, theScore's Jordan Schultz reported that the Cardinals plan to trade Hopkins this offseason.

Arizona hired a new general manager and head coach after a disappointing four-win season, and Hopkins is set to make $19.45 million (with a $30.75 million cap hit) in 2023. The Cardinals could seek a clean slate by moving the three-time All-Pro wideout, who turns 31 in June.

Hopkins began his Cardinals career by tallying 1,407 yards and six touchdowns in 2020. However, multiple lower body injuries limited him to 10 games in 2021, and he served a six-game suspension to start the 2022 season for violating the NFL's PED policy.

Yet he remains an impact player when on the field. Hopkins totaled 474 receiving yards in six full games with quarterback Kyler Murray last season.

Now imagine what he can accomplish when catching passes from Patrick Mahomes.

The Chiefs flourished without a star replacement for Tyreek Hill, but they could still benefit by solidifying the position this offseason. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a free agent after garnering 78 catches for 933 yards on a one-year deal. The depth chart features several talented question marks in Mecole Hardman, Kadarius Toney, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Adding Hopkins could be great news for Kansas City, but terrible for all opposing defenses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we want a high priced prima donna?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:52 PM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Lolz, hey I was just reporting what I saw. Question: is there a solid reason you think he's lying? Does he have a history of BS/lying about his condition? You have an inside scoop on him or something?

I mean, if we're going down that road, then I guess we can't believe any player. Which means we should be doubly wary of JJSS and his knee issues. Kelce might be lying as well I suppose. I mean, he's had ten surgeries, so I guess we can doubt that he's really healthy enough to play at a high level in 2023, right?

If we're just going to assume they're all lying then I don't know what there is to debate.
No, I have no idea. But if the guys trying to improve his position and NOT healthy, why would he say so?

I'm more poking fun at the reality that any numbskull who tweets something gets taken as an 'insider' and that 'there's just too much smoke here to be a rumor' and next thing you know, everyone's all in a frenzy.

A few weeks ago, half of CP wanted Kliff ****ing Kingsbury as OC, for ****'s sake.

KC has literally been linked to every single known name in FA, and it's silly.

Hopkins is the exact opposite of every single thing we've done for three years now. But yeah, okay, let's just run with it. He's too old, he's not finished a season since 2020, and he's expensive. So, I'm sure Veach is in talks to send a 2nd and back up a truck of money.

A cheap Thielen deal or taking a flier on Parris Campbell and figuring Andy can figure out how to utilize that 4.3 speed is much more likely.

You guys are cracking me up.

Who's the last big money guy over 30 that Veach has signed? I'll wait.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 04:58 PM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
No, I have no idea. But if the guys trying to improve his position and NOT healthy, why would he say so?

I'm more poking fun at the reality that any numbskull who tweets something gets taken as an 'insider' and that 'there's just too much smoke here to be a rumor' and next thing you know, everyone's all in a frenzy.

A few weeks ago, half of CP wanted Kliff ****ing Kingsbury as OC, for ****'s sake.

Hopkins is the exact opposite of every single thing we've done for three years now. But yeah, okay, let's just run with it. He's too old, he's not finished a season since 2020, and he's expensive. So, I'm sure Veach is in talks to send a 2nd and back up a truck of money.

A cheap Thielen deal or taking a flier on Parris Campbell and figuring Andy can figure out how to utilize that 4.3 speed is much more likely.

You can not like Hopkins because he's old and that's fair.

But relative to what he can do he ain't expensive.

19 and 14 million cap hits next 2 years when guys like Hardman will get 10+ or Kirk, etc
[Reply]
ToxSocks 04:59 PM 03-14-2023

Veach has had the hots for OBJ, what, 2 seasons running now? It's not like this was pulled from thin air. So while correct, this isn't a typical Veach move, it doesn't mean it's not on his radar and he's shown enough interest to where you can't just hand wave it off like it's something he'll never do.

I agree with some of your points here, though. Yeah, we're linked to every big name reclamation F/A out there and always will be because we're the new Patriots.

If the Chiefs sign Chark, Theilen or Campbell, ok...cool. I think all 3 of those guys can add to the room.

What i have a problem with is this mindset that you just repeated. "Sign a cheap guy and let Reid figure it out".

Lol. How about sign a special player and THEN let Reid figure it out?
[Reply]
ToxSocks 05:00 PM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:

19 and 14 million cap hits next 2 years when guys like Hardman will get 10+ or Kirk, etc
Yup.

Calling him expensive while JAGS like Lazard fetch 11M AAV is kinda silly. Is Hopkins worth $5-7M more than Lazard? Abso-fucking-lutely.

And then in a season or two we can be done with him and on to the next.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 05:02 PM 03-14-2023
Hey guys, i like reclamation projects too!

I just happen to like the really fucking talented ones while ya'll want to salvage mediocre players.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:05 PM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Hey guys, i like reclamation projects too!

I just happen to like the really ****ing talented ones while ya'll want to salvage mediocre players.
Kelce dragged a bunch of jags last year but expecting that over and over is dumb.

Give him one more weapon to take the heat off and all the other guys look even better.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:05 PM 03-14-2023

It wasn't a tweet. It was on Pat's show. It was a live video interview between McAfee, his co-host (another former player who's name presently eludes me) and Deandre. it's about 12 minutes long, iirc.

And I'm on the record several times now saying that I doubt we get DHop, because we simply can't offer ARI enough over any other suitors.

But I am totally on board with upgrading significantly over the likes of JJSS or Thielen. Let's stop renting Camrys and drive a Corvette off the lot. With the Taylor signing and Niang finally healthy, It's time.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:06 PM 03-14-2023
Yup.

Calling him expensive while JAGS like Lazard fetch 11M AAV is kinda silly. Is Hopkins worth $5-7M more than Lazard? Abso-fucking-lutely.

And then in a season or two we can be done with him and on to the next.
He's worth $10M more.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 05:11 PM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:

But I am totally on board with upgrading significantly over the likes of JJSS or Thielen. Let's stop renting Camrys and drive a Corvette off the lot. With the Taylor signing and Niang finally healthy, It's time.
Yes sir. And the defense is loaded with young talent. So aside from a vet DE and DT, the defense just needs more time to mature into what it can be.

And we now have our LT. And there's enough young, competent talent to compete for starting RT duties, whether that be Kinnard, Prince Tengo-Whatever or Niang.

It reminds me of the '20 offseason where the only glaring hole was at RB, so they drafted CEH.

Well there's really only two position groups right now that are glaring. WR and DE.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:34 PM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:

See, here's the thing.

It's not even about how I feel about Hopkins. Hopkins has been a fine player and had himself a nice career. Really good player.

But how I feel about it is absolutely irrelevant.

I don't look at all this stuff through the lens of "What do I want", I look at it and try to figure out what Veach might do.

And the reality is, Veach has NEVER signed a free agent at large to a big money deal that included a high pick that was over 30. Never.

And everything they've done has ALWAYS been to get younger and faster, since 2018. And since 2020, knowing Patrick's money was going to kick in-they've gone for max value as much as possible.

Veach has directly SAID this is what they'll need to do going forward. Andy has SAID that Toney and Skyy will player bigger roles.

But in CP land, some dude nobody's heard of tweets that The Chiefs are in on Hopkins and away we go.

The only way this is true is if Andy really is planning to retire in two years, and I figure that's about a zero percent chance.

I have nothing against Hopkins, but we have real holes on this team that need filling, and we need some cap space to do that. We can fill three problem areas with what we'd pay Hopkins, and have no money and less picks to do it with.

So it's bad value. And it's against everything the actual leaders of the team have shown and told us.

It's not happening. This is silly.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:39 PM 03-14-2023
Veach has had the hots for OBJ, what, 2 seasons running now? It's not like this was pulled from thin air. So while correct, this isn't a typical Veach move, it doesn't mean it's not on his radar and he's shown enough interest to where you can't just hand wave it off like it's something he'll never do.

I agree with some of your points here, though. Yeah, we're linked to every big name reclamation F/A out there and always will be because we're the new Patriots.

If the Chiefs sign Chark, Theilen or Campbell, ok...cool. I think all 3 of those guys can add to the room.

What i have a problem with is this mindset that you just repeated. "Sign a cheap guy and let Reid figure it out".

I'm sure Veach inquires about each and every possible way to improve the team. That doesn't mean he 'has the hots for OBJ'. I'm sure he's made inquiries. Why wouldn't he? Doesn't mean he's seriously going to shell out $20m for a guy who's over 30 and hasn't finished a season in multiple years now. That goes for OBJ AND Hopkins, frankly.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:42 PM 03-14-2023

We're going to have to draft and develop our special players while our QB is 23% of our cap, dude. It's just reality.

Finding under-valued talents in free agency and the scrap-heap to augment the team is the smart play, and it's literally what Veach has told us, in more than one interview, since letting Hill go.

But you guys go ahead and dream.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 05:48 PM 03-14-2023

And everything they've done has ALWAYS been to get younger and faster, since 2018.
Well that's not really true. MVS is 28. That's not younger. JuJu isn't really an example of younger either, certainly not faster.

What they are were....cheap.

Veach has directly SAID this is what they'll need to do going forward. Andy has SAID that Toney and Skyy will player bigger roles.
Considering both had extremely limited roles, this kinda goes w/o saying. And quite frankly, can mean a lot of things.

The only way this is true is if Andy really is planning to retire in two years, and I figure that's about a zero percent chance.
I don't think that's correct at all. I think they're going all the way in every year, so long as it works financially. Nor do i believe they'd mortgage the future because of Reid retiring. It's not like Veach and Mahomes and co won't still be there. Typically people don't sell all their assets and leave nothing for the children just because they got cancer.

I have nothing against Hopkins, but we have real holes on this team that need filling,
And which holes are those? How many of them are bigger than WR?

So it's bad value. And it's against everything the actual leaders of the team have shown and told us.
Hopkins' contract isn't bad value. And we don't know what the draft compensation would actually be. Brett Kollman is convinced a 4th will do it. Maybe. Idk.

A guy like OBJ on a 1-year, $10-15M deal IS a value signing.

It's not happening. This is silly.
If i were a betting man i'd say it's probably not happening. I largely agree that it's not a traditional, "plan for the future" move. But lets not pretend Veach is above 1-2 year rentals.

And again, either Hopkins or OBJ WOULD make this team better. That is not debateable.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:49 PM 03-14-2023
Well that's not really true. MVS is 28. That's not younger. JuJu isn't really an example of younger either, certainly not faster.

What they are were....cheap.

Considering both had extremely limited roles, this kinda goes w/o saying. And quite frankly, can mean a lot of things.

I don't think that's correct at all. I think they're going all the way in every year, so long as it works financially. Nor do i believe they'd mortgage the future because of Reid retiring. It's not like Veach and Mahomes and co won't still be there. Typically people don't sell all their assets and leave nothing for the children just because they got cancer.

And which holes are those? How many of them are bigger than WR?

Hopkins' contract isn't bad value. And we don't know what the draft compensation would actually be. Brett Kollman is convinced a 4th will do it. Maybe. Idk.

A guy like OBJ on a 1-year, $10-15M deal IS a value signing.

If i were a betting man i'd say it's probably not happening. I largely agree that it's not a traditional, "plan for the future" move. But lets not pretend Veach is above 1-2 year rentals.

And again, either Hopkins or OBJ WOULD make this team better. That is not debateable.
You guys are thinking emotionally and not logically.

This is a fantasy.

It's not gonna happen.

Enjoy your dream. This discussion is pointless.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 05:52 PM 03-14-2023
We're going to have to draft and develop our special players while our QB is 23% of our cap, dude. It's just reality.

Finding under-valued talents in free agency and the scrap-heap to augment the team is the smart play, and it's literally what Veach has told us, in more than one interview, since letting Hill go.

But you guys go ahead and dream.
We just signed a guy to a $60M guaranteed deal. You can't tell me the Chiefs aren't willing to spend on F/A's. That's the most guaranteed money to go to an OL so far this free agency. Before that signing, NOBODY was making the argument that JaWaan Taylor for $80M, $60M GDT is a VALUE signing.

By your logic, the Chiefs were supposed to just draft his replacement.

I agree man, we have to draft and develop special players. And they have. They've also plugged holes with 1-2 year rental vets too.

I think the error in your logic is assuming it's "This one way, and this one way only".

No, i don't think the Chiefs and Veach operate so linear.
[Reply]
Page 69 of 270
« First < 19596566676869 7071727379119169 > Last »
Up