ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 68 of 163
« First < 18586465666768 6970717278118 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
Iowanian 11:10 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Is it a cut or did you have surgery? If you got something mean like a rotator cuff repair, shoot him with a rifle and stick an arrow in him before you skin him.
nothing like a rotator cuff, just had to get something cut out that didn't need to be there and needed several stitches to fill it up. Doesn't really hurt or anything, just afraid I'd bust them.

I think they know it was a waste of breath, as did brideowanian....I bought my tag today. I have a shooting block and my bow with me at work, but probably won't practice as much as I need to this week. May take a couple of shots later in the week, but I'm only shooting a big buck at this point. I can smash does anytime. Trying to get the boss while still in feeding pattern.

Usually whoever gets the first buck will cut out the tarsel glands. I've used them on a drag line, or hung them over a scrape near a stand before.

Some guys like decoys, they've done me far more harm than good. I think specific setups certain times of the year are key.
[Reply]
tooge 11:22 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Bump to see if the day crowd has any preferences/opinions on using a decoy.
I've had success hunting over a decoy. When the antlers were on it, nothing ever came by. In fact, it seemed to repel them. When they were off, I've had curious does come right up to it. I only used it out in a field, never in close quarters in the woods. I don't hunt over one anymore because I couldn't really see any increase in the number of deer that come in.

I have'nt been up in a stand hunting yet. Too warm. I can't stand those little dog pecker gnats buzzing around my face and ears the whole time. NEED FROST!
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:57 AM 10-12-2011
How's everyone doing archery deer hunting? Since getting 3 does in the first 5 days, two of which were double lung heart shots, i haven't gotten anything else. No shooter bucks in my zones yet, although i've seen some very nice bucks. Gonna push hard the next couple weeks for sure.

Duck hunting has been really good. Found out one of my old spots is "back". So i've gone out there a couple times and done really good. Mostly Mallards, Teal, LOTS of Gadwalls, some wigeons.

Can't wait for the Northerners to come through though.
[Reply]
Otter 09:02 AM 10-12-2011
How's everyone doing archery deer hunting? Since getting 3 does in the first 5 days, two of which were double lung heart shots, i haven't gotten anything else. No shooter bucks in my zones yet, although i've seen some very nice bucks. Gonna push hard the next couple weeks for sure.

Duck hunting has been really good. Found out one of my old spots is "back". So i've gone out there a couple times and done really good. Mostly Mallards, Teal, LOTS of Gadwalls, some wigeons.

Giving crossbow hunting a try for the first time this year. Neat stuff.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:03 AM 10-12-2011
October Lull here. I'm too busy anyway.

Expecting a big temp drop next week, Tuesday I think, and I'll be sitting in a tree near acorns then.

I've never duck hunted.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 09:08 AM 10-12-2011

Got a doe opening day. Haven't been out since.
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:59 AM 10-12-2011
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
October Lull here. I'm too busy anyway.

Expecting a big temp drop next week, Tuesday I think, and I'll be sitting in a tree near acorns then.

I've never duck hunted.
No kidding. Every year I have more time in October than i do any other time, and it's always fucking slow. I have seen some good rubs and even a few scrapes in my area though.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 10:21 AM 10-12-2011
Doin' my thing in November. Never have known many to have much luck in October, and since I have to hunt public land, I pretty much don't have a prayer till November firearm. Still haven't ventured into bow hunting. I'll have to wait till the kids are all gone from the house to have that kind of time...or money...
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:23 PM 10-14-2011
Got a coon tonight. That was pretty funny. Shot it with the bow. Could barely see my sights but he was only like 12 yards away from the bottom of my stand. I could see well enough to place one right through his shoulder. Only went about ten feet.

heard him coming through some freshly cut corn. He was walking out of range and wasn't gonna come close to me. I tried a few lip squeaks, and sure enough, he got curious and walked my way. Went up the wrong damn tree the first time, called him again and he came right back down, then did it again with another tree. Called again, and here he came. Blamo! Master Hunter.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:05 PM 10-14-2011
Got a coon tonight. That was pretty funny. Shot it with the bow. Could barely see my sights but he was only like 12 yards away from the bottom of my stand. I could see well enough to place one right through his shoulder. Only went about ten feet.

heard him coming through some freshly cut corn. He was walking out of range and wasn't gonna come close to me. I tried a few lip squeaks, and sure enough, he got curious and walked my way. Went up the wrong damn tree the first time, called him again and he came right back down, then did it again with another tree. Called again, and here he came. Blamo! Master Hunter.
This spring when my mom had her pool painted, a family of coons got in the bottom of the pool and couldn't get out because the newly painted plaster was slick. Well, if I had to get them out, they were dying. So Dad and I got our .22s and a 20' 2X12 and let them crawl up the 2X12 and plugged them as they came up. A little hickish, but dead coon is a good coon so all was right with the world again.
[Reply]
btlook1 09:49 PM 10-14-2011
Just put my kids camera out last week seeing nothing but does and 1 little buck. Funny thing is his girlfriends dad had borrowed it in August....nice buck on it....figured you guys might like the pic. We have several pics of this boy...he would look nice above the fireplace.
Attached: deer cam 410.jpg (225.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:04 PM 10-14-2011
Holy crap. That deer is all rack. That is opposite here. The critters here are corn fed and FAT. It is ridiculous to see little bitty racks on giant ass bucks.
[Reply]
btlook1 10:13 PM 10-14-2011
Here's another shot of him up close....
Attached: deer cam 391.jpg (191.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:31 AM 10-17-2011
The face looks weird on that Buck. Must just be the different areas of the country, even though we're not too far away.

EDIT: nice rack though.
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:32 AM 10-17-2011
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
This spring when my mom had her pool painted, a family of coons got in the bottom of the pool and couldn't get out because the newly painted plaster was slick. Well, if I had to get them out, they were dying. So Dad and I got our .22s and a 20' 2X12 and let them crawl up the 2X12 and plugged them as they came up. A little hickish, but dead coon is a good coon so all was right with the world again.
Coulda got 2 more coons this weekend out of a different stand but to be honest i'm getting tired of cleaning and replacing blades for stupid shit. :-)
[Reply]
Page 68 of 163
« First < 18586465666768 6970717278118 > Last »
Up