ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 674 of 726
« First < 174574624664670671672673674 675676677678684724 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
RustShack 04:41 PM 07-24-2022
“One of major issues right now is that ESPN offer is low and Oregon and Washington want unequal sharing. They want a certain percentage more. Numbers don’t make survival possible within the conference. Big fracture within the conference and other schools won’t budge.“
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:35 PM 07-24-2022
That sounds like typical UW arrogance.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:42 AM 07-26-2022
ESPN is offering 24 million per school per year. yeesh.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 07:47 AM 07-26-2022
I think the B12 gets 20m
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:15 AM 07-26-2022
John Canzano:
Spoiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
RustShack 10:22 AM 07-26-2022
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
I think the B12 gets 20m
50-60 is the projection.
[Reply]
ChiTown 10:24 AM 07-26-2022
This thread gets more reeruned by the day....
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:40 AM 07-26-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
John Canzano:
Spoiler!

So if the money in the PAC and BIG 12 are the same, there’s zero incentive for either to lose any schools. “The PAC is less stable tho!” Then that stands to reason they have a much better portfolio of schools, who could conceivably make a future move.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:45 AM 07-26-2022
#B1G commissioner Kevin Warren confirms USC and UCLA will receive full revenue shares when they enter the Big Ten.

Might not sit well at Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers, which did not receive full shares.

Big Ten commish Kevin Warren told me he has not spoken w/Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff since USC/UCLA announced they were leaving Pac-12, but said his office is scheduling a call sometime after Friday's Pac-12 media day

[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:58 AM 07-26-2022
Originally Posted by RustShack:
“One of major issues right now is that ESPN offer is low and Oregon and Washington want unequal sharing. They want a certain percentage more. Numbers don’t make survival possible within the conference. Big fracture within the conference and other schools won’t budge.“
https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzan...ide-the-big-12

Canzano: Delusion aside -- the Big 12 has nothing on the Pac-12

The numbers (and brands) don't lie.

John Canzano
Spoiler!

[Reply]
RustShack 04:36 PM 07-26-2022
Canzanu is an idiot and cherry-picking stats to fit his Pro PAC narrative.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:46 PM 07-26-2022
50-60 is the projection.
Are you sure those numbers? I don't think those are once Texas and OU leave?
[Reply]
Archie Bunker 04:50 PM 07-26-2022
Really don’t see anything that he’s wrong about. Academics, Ratings, everything but having Iowa State seems to favor the PAC 12. It’s a large hurdle
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:25 PM 07-26-2022
Canzanu is an idiot and cherry-picking stats to fit his Pro PAC narrative.

Doesn’t appear to be an idiot.

Originally Posted by :
In his career,[3] Canzano has worked at six daily newspapers including The San Jose Mercury News and The Fresno Bee.
He covered University of Notre Dame football and Indiana University basketball as the beat writer during the tenure of coach Bob Knight. He is a former national Major League Baseball writer and national NFL writer at the San Jose Mercury News as well.
He has also covered five Olympic Games.

Canzano was hired as lead sports columnist at The Oregonian in 2002.[4] He also appears on KGW-TV, where he offers commentary and analysis on sports. Canzano also hosts a radio show called "The Bald-Faced Truth" on Portland's 750 AM "The Game". The radio show airs weekdays from 3-6 p.m. in the Portland metro area. The show is also syndicated in Eugene, Ore. on Fox Sports Eugene (95.7-FM and 1050-AM) and in Klamath Falls, Ore. on KLAD (104.3-FM and 960-AM).

He worked as the NFL and Major League Baseball columnist at the San Jose Mercury News and is a member of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. He holds a Baseball Hall of Fame Vote and is a voter for the Heisman Trophy. Canzano's work has also appeared in GQ magazine and The Sporting News.

Canzano left The Oregonian in March 2022, after 20 years with the newspaper.[1]

[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:57 AM 07-27-2022
Canzano today:

GRANDSTANDING: Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren did a fair bit of grandstanding as part of the conference media day on Tuesday. He didn’t do a cartwheel on stage, but he came very close.

Warren spent a good portion of his time touting the Big Ten’s poaching of USC and UCLA. Pac-12 stakeholders weren’t happy about all the horn tooting. Said one conference employee: “The only people happy with the USC/UCLA move are those in the B1G, USC/UCLA and FOX.”

Warren also appeared to take a shot at the Pac-12 when he was asked about expansion and the health of college football.

Said Warren: “If a conference is allegedly on the brink, there are many more issues than members leaving. There are deeper issues. I’m not promoting conferences facing a crisis or going out of business, not at all. But I come out of the NFL for 21 years. In the NFL, either you succeed or you fail, and that's not only on the field. I’m talking about in business, operationally. Either you have your fan base or you don’t.”

The Pac-12’s biggest problem is its media rights deal. The conference has advantageous geography in the Pacific Time Zone. It has good history, strong brands, and it wants very much to matter. But let’s face it — losing USC and UCLA was a gut punch from Warren’s conference. That blow equated to the loss of 5.2 million television households.

How do you replace that if you’re the Pac-12?

I’ve long wondered about San Diego State as a Pac-12 expansion candidate. It would add back 1.1 million TV homes in the Southern California footprint. I also wonder about UNLV as a possible addition.

The Las Vegas television market is only in the top-40 right now, but the region is growing rapidly. There’s a pile of untapped sponsorship money buried in Vegas and commissioner George Kliavkoff lives there and is deeply connected. I’ll bet he rarely pays for a meal.

UNLV might not command a full share of media rights distributions out of the gate. It also plays home football games in the NFL stadium in Las Vegas. It would be a speculative play, for sure, but doubling down on Vegas makes sense.

[Reply]
Page 674 of 726
« First < 174574624664670671672673674 675676677678684724 > Last »
Up