ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 646 of 726
« First < 146546596636642643644645646 647648649650656696 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 04:55 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
You gotta be the worst person in this thread

A raider fan and a beaker

:-)
Sorry the truth hurts so much. But then you are used to pain being a MU fan.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 05:10 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
BYU, done, Boise State is next!

IMHO, cutural fit has nothing to do with it anymore, it's all about $$$

Very well could be true, but I also said, " I knew/know ND will not do it," . So stop trying to make yourself look better by thinking you just staged yourself, 1 up ! I already covered that statement. But enjoy your belly laugh that you somehow showed up a comment when I mentioned it was merely attempting to be aggresive!

Please don't give me the cultural BS when $$$ is driving the bus here. Colorado could jump back if they think they could get relevant on competing again, more money than the dormant PAC 12, additional schools in their area, BYU,Boise State, maybe Wyoming, Damn, who knows, maybe Co State too.
I already mentioned Memphis as basketball only, their football is almost on KU's level, not there, but almost. All KU has to do is start winning again, it will take care of itself, I know, tall order.
I'll give you a Coastal Carolina, but again, see the argument with USF,UCF, WV,

Why USF? Miami, another east coast school to go with UCF, WV ? Goes without saying that it's the TV markets driving this thing!

Not on your opinion of laughter " Oh shit, now that's funny "!
Cultural fit, while not the paramount attribute, still places a large factor in decisions. Athletic conferences are country clubs. Presidents prefer to hang out with similar minded members. Colorado fits the west coast culture. That is why they left even when the rest of the supposedly departing Big 12 members stayed. BYU should have been in years ago. It took the departure of Texas/Oklahoma for the rest of the BIG 12 presidents to put away their disdain for Mormonism and say, "We need BYU." Decisions are fueled by culture and money until desperation comes.

You said it is all about money. Fine, then why would Colorado leave a financially stable PAC 12 for a BIG 12 whose new deal is still speculation? They wouldn't. They left and they aren't coming back. Reminder, they left a Big 12 that had Texas and Oklahoma anchoring it. But somehow they are going to want to return to a BIG 12 without its two premium brands?

Colorado doesn't care about BYU, Boise, Wyoming, or their supposed rival CSU. They certainly aren't dumping the academic cache of the PAC 12 to play old time MWC/WAC members. They don't even want to really keep the CU-CSU rivalry going.

Again, P5 conferences don't take basketball only members. That is bush league in their eyes. And Memphis football currently is way above Kansas' level.

"All KU has to do is start winning again." Well, not to be cruel (I am an Army fan so I know how long the drought of defeat can last) but that is easier said than done for sure and Kansas has a long barren history. The last conference title was in the 1960s, I believe. Yes, the Orange Bowl was awesome but Kansas that year didn't have to play Texas/Oklahoma. That is where the return of divisions might assist Kansas.

USF is located in Tampa not Miami. FIU is in Miami.

TV markets play a role but so does fan support. All four additions have strong fan bases. USF is struggling in that department right now. I do think if USF kept their Big East momentum they would be in the Big 12 but UCF seized the chance.
[Reply]
ROYC75 05:45 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Cultural fit, while not the paramount attribute, still places a large factor in decisions. Athletic conferences are country clubs. Presidents prefer to hang out with similar minded members. Colorado fits the west coast culture. That is why they left even when the rest of the supposedly departing Big 12 members stayed. BYU should have been in years ago. It took the departure of Texas/Oklahoma for the rest of the BIG 12 presidents to put away their disdain for Mormonism and say, "We need BYU." Decisions are fueled by culture and money until desperation comes.

You said it is all about money. Fine, then why would Colorado leave a financially stable PAC 12 for a BIG 12 whose new deal is still speculation? They wouldn't. They left and they aren't coming back. Reminder, they left a Big 12 that had Texas and Oklahoma anchoring it. But somehow they are going to want to return to a BIG 12 without its two premium brands?

Colorado doesn't care about BYU, Boise, Wyoming, or their supposed rival CSU. They certainly aren't dumping the academic cache of the PAC 12 to play old time MWC/WAC members. They don't even want to really keep the CU-CSU rivalry going.

Again, P5 conferences don't take basketball only members. That is bush league in their eyes. And Memphis football currently is way above Kansas' level.

"All KU has to do is start winning again." Well, not to be cruel (I am an Army fan so I know how long the drought of defeat can last) but that is easier said than done for sure and Kansas has a long barren history. The last conference title was in the 1960s, I believe. Yes, the Orange Bowl was awesome but Kansas that year didn't have to play Texas/Oklahoma. That is where the return of divisions might assist Kansas.

USF is located in Tampa not Miami. FIU is in Miami.

TV markets play a role but so does fan support. All four additions have strong fan bases. USF is struggling in that department right now. I do think if USF kept their Big East momentum they would be in the Big 12 but UCF seized the chance.
KU will become a .500 football team soon, in the next 5 yrs, it will become a solid draw to basically any conference it chooses then. However, KU is not joining the Big 10, ACC, any other con. as long as they are part of the B12, 16, whatever they call themselves. They have it all too well in basketball and that is enough for them, however KU does & will always be in a Power % conf. for that reason if their football becomes a trace of the Mangino days.

Now for putting words into what I said, I never said USF was in Miami, but it does have a large TV market in Miami. This is all about driven TV markets. UCF does has a lot of Central Florida covered, even a large part of Miami too. To put it bluntly, U of Miami has a lot of the TV market in Miami with alumni, as well as Florida. Likewise, so too does UCF and USF in the Miami area. I was referring USF to help corner a larger Miami market. Same for Colorado and CSU with Denver, TV markets is the ticket, viewership is what is going to attract TV contracts for the league. If the B12 wants to attract a bigger TV contract, it has to be able to sell viewership's to the Networks.

Plus any larger metro area is going to also give you 1 up on recruiting, rather it's football or basketball!

For some reason you want to add to what I keep hitting on here. You are a smart guy, sol let's make this simple ....

1. Exposure
a. Viewership for networks
b. Recruiting
c. All of the Above.

2. Conference Stability
a. Exposure
b. High level of viewership
c. Recruiting
d. All of the Above

As I said, you are a smart guy, you can see the correct answers!

It boils down to doing a great job of salesmanship, if you are not taking steps now in the B12 to attain stability and keep this shit from happening again, you are setting yourself up for failure! Reason I say the B12 needs to go ahead and become a the B16, branch out now, get what you can before the others move to it. I do not see the Pac12 or B10 moving to a 16 team conference anytime soon. If the B12 don't take steps now to secure themselves, they will be left behind.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 06:04 PM 09-10-2021
It’s a small/one week sample size… but the new/future Big 12 has more teams ranked in the top 10 (Iowa State and Cincinnati) than the ACC and Pac 12 and the same # of top 10 teams as the B1G.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:07 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Looks more like the AAC than a “power 5” conference now

Another moron who brings no evidence or facts as he belches out a baseless opinion. The TV deals are the same as two existing P5 leagues.

“The top 3 brands leapt at the chance to leave the AAC prolly because the B3.0 looks just like the AAC. Or some shit, durr. Durr”
[Reply]
RustShack 06:17 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Looks more like the AAC than a “power 5” conference now
Thank you for letting us know how clueless you are, and to know your thoughts don’t matter.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:28 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
South Florida brings the I-4 rivalry.
A “rivalry” that no one cares about.
[Reply]
TribalElder 10:45 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
KU will become a .500 football team soon
Yep, they did that tonight when they lost to coastal carolina
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 07:35 AM 09-11-2021
Power 5 is dead. Power 2 plus some littles
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:34 AM 09-11-2021
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
There’s no such thing as a “power league” - only power programs, at least as it relates to CFB. There’s Bammy, then a drop off to mild contenders like Ohio St and Clemson. Then another drop to OU, Georgia, etc

Then there’s everybody else. 90% of your “power league” will never even win its *own* league.
[Reply]
lcarus 10:48 AM 09-11-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Really? WITF would any serious conference want WSU? KU is pathetic at football, but at least we have football.

Tulsa has zero pull due to proximity of OSU.

UCF and BYU both bring many more eyes for TV than Memphis.

Do you not understand TV economics?
I didn't say it would happen or that it should happen. It'd just be fun to have more regional rivalries.

I hate losing Oklahoma and Texas. I hated losing Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, and to a lesser degree...Texas A&M. I enjoyed having all of the big schools around here in the conference. Oh well. Now we're gonna have 40 teams in the stupid ass SEC and the Big 12 will continue cobbling together whoever the frick is a big enough TV draw to keep the conference alive. Yay.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:09 AM 09-11-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
There’s no such thing as a “power league” - only power programs, at least as it relates to CFB. There’s Bammy, then a drop off to mild contenders like Ohio St and Clemson. Then another drop to OU, Georgia, etc

Then there’s everybody else. 90% of your “power league” will never even win its *own* league.
Basically same as it ever was. Teams at the top will rotate here and there when coaches retire.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:11 AM 09-11-2021
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:

Pretty much.

Big 12 should add Tulsa to replace Oklahoma & SMU to replace Texas. I think adding Creighton to replace Nebraska & Missouri State to replace Mizzou.

I’m sure the Big 12 will survive much like the MVC has survived.

The hilarious part of that is…KU would still have the worst football program in the conference.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:24 AM 09-11-2021
Creighton?

[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:25 AM 09-11-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Creighton?

I’m sure they could field a team right?

[Reply]
Page 646 of 726
« First < 146546596636642643644645646 647648649650656696 > Last »
Up