ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 546 of 726
« First < 46446496536542543544545546 547548549550556596646 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Pants 12:59 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by doomy3:
That's a pretty dumb argument. I live on the Missouri fan and am a KU fan. Don't really see why that matters.
Do you talk incessant shit on the state of MO? I don't think you were following the conversation too closely. I never stipulated anything of the sort you seem to be implying.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:01 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
Saul Good was the one who brought up the records in KC. Kansas has played two games in KC: one was against MU at Arrowhead and the other was against Davidson at the Sprint Center. Last I checked, they don't play football inside the Sprint Center.
So citing K-States attendance since OBz arrived isn't flipping sports?

(WTF doe they call him OBz for anyway?)

This argument is just asinine. You folks have been trying to make it in about 10 different ways since the start of the football season when it was apparent that there were no legitimate arguments to make.

It was patently ridiculous when you were trying to do it then and it's nearly as stupid now.

Fansmack is just pretty much the last resort of schools that haven't won a conference game in 24 months and just got done losing to Davidson. It's also best left in the hands of useful idiots like Stewie and Wickedson.

But again - you guys forgot all about MU already, right?
[Reply]
Pants 01:01 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
When I think of "resolve" I think of the unwaivering support of KU football fans.
You don't think that thousands showing up to a game they know will be a blow out is a sign of unwavering support?
[Reply]
doomy3 01:01 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
Do you talk incessant shit on the state of MO? I don't think you were following the conversation too closely. I never stipulated anything of the sort you seem to be implying.
No, I admittedly am not following the conversation closely at all. Just read that post, and thought it sounded weird. Carry on.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 01:02 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

This argument is just asinine. You folks have been trying to make it in about 10 different ways since the start of the football season when it was apparent that there were no legitimate arguments to make.

It was patently ridiculous when you were trying to do it then and it's nearly as stupid now.

Fansmack is just pretty much the last resort of schools that haven't won a conference game in 24 months and just got done losing to Davidson. It's also best left in the hands of useful idiots like Stewie and Wickedson.

OBz= OLD BALLZ
[Reply]
teedubya 01:03 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
OBz= OLD BALLZ
:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:06 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
It's an excuse, but a real one. Nobody wants to pay to see a shitty product. I wouldn't pay to see a shitty movie, I won't pay to see a shitty football team....and you can tell I'm not alone by looking at Arrowhead on your tv on Sundays.
You're aware that watching MU roll a cupcake by 45 points is a shitty product, right?

I've been to 3 games, all of them massacres. By the end of the game, you're just sitting around eating stale nachos and waiting for the Antlers to start their scoreboard chant.

Ass-kickings are dull. Hell, close games against lousy opponents are bad too because it usually means your guys spent 40 minutes kicking the ball around.

Expectations from the fanbase going into the season were as low as I can remember since the first year of Anderson's tenure. That drove the early-season attendance woes. Then the early-season patsies had a lot of people not believing in the team when the CBE started and they beat some quality opponents.

Since then, it's just been another run of crappy teams they've played (though the attendance at MSG was actually pretty solid for Mizzou).

Playing crappy teams is a shitty product. I'll be far more concerned with the attendance if folks are still staying away during conference season. Over the last several years, that hasn't been the case. We didn't have the longest home winning streak in the conference for no reason; Mizzou fans are historically very good fans.

We'll see if the trend holds out or if it's something we should be concerned about in a few weeks.
[Reply]
Pants 01:07 PM 12-21-2011

Old Ballz

And yeah, I'm not really discussing sports here, I'm discussing fanbases. MU fanbase = not good.

Originally Posted by DJ's Left Nut:

So MU fans have never started with fansmack? I'm pretty sure you guys have and I'm pretty sure you guys have won a conference game in the last 24 months and had not at the time just got done losing to Davidson.

And we will never really need a last resort, we can hang our hats on that big ass trophy case that's pretty much full. :-)
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 01:13 PM 12-21-2011
You're aware that watching MU roll a cupcake by 45 points is a shitty product, right?

I've been to 3 games, all of them massacres. By the end of the game, you're just sitting around eating stale nachos and waiting for the Antlers to start their scoreboard chant.

Ass-kickings are dull. Hell, close games against lousy opponents are bad too because it usually means your guys spent 40 minutes kicking the ball around.

Expectations from the fanbase going into the season were as low as I can remember since the first year of Anderson's tenure. That drove the early-season attendance woes. Then the early-season patsies had a lot of people not believing in the team when the CBE started and they beat some quality opponents.

Since then, it's just been another run of crappy teams they've played (though the attendance at MSG was actually pretty solid for Mizzou).

Playing crappy teams is a shitty product. I'll be far more concerned with the attendance if folks are still staying away during conference season. Over the last several years, that hasn't been the case. We didn't have the longest home winning streak in the conference for no reason; Mizzou fans are historically very good fans.

We'll see if the trend holds out or if it's something we should be concerned about in a few weeks.

So, it's not ok for KU fans to not want to watch that football game, but it is ok for MU fans to not want to watch any of the basketball games....gotcha.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:14 PM 12-21-2011
KU fans prior to 2011: Hey Mizzou fans, your basketball attendance sucks.

MU fans prior to 2011: Basketball is a secondary sport that is mainly a way to bridge the gap between the end of one football season and the beginning of the next.

KU fans prior to 2011: Bullshit. You're just saying that because your team isn't as good as ours. If your team was better, you'd care.

~~~Mizzou goes 11-0 to start the season and is ranked in the top 10 while KU is 7-3 and ranked behind Mizzou~~~

Kansas fans: Your basketball attendance sucks even though your team is better than ours.

MU fans: Basketball is a secondary sport that is mainly a way to bridge the gap between the end of one football season and the beginning of the next.

Anyone with a brain: I guess Mizzou fans meant what they said prior to 2011 and. Kansas fans were wrong. Why do they keep talking shit?
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:14 PM 12-21-2011

MU fans prior to 2011: Basketball is a secondary sport that is mainly a way to bridge the gap between the end of one football season and the beginning of the next.

KU fans prior to 2011: Bullshit. You're just saying that because your team isn't as good as ours. If your team was better, you'd care.

~~~Mizzou goes 11-0 to start the season and is ranked in the top 10 while KU is 7-3 and ranked behind Mizzou~~~

Kansas fans: Your basketball attendance sucks even though your team is better than ours.

MU fans: Basketball is a secondary sport that is mainly a way to bridge the gap between the end of one football season and the beginning of the next.

Anyone with a brain: I guess Mizzou fans meant what they said prior to 2011 and. Kansas fans were wrong. Why do they keep talking shit?
[Reply]
Bambi 01:16 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:

You should probably get a better football team then if it's that important to you.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:17 PM 12-21-2011
Marcus Denmon, Michael Dixon, and Steve Moore are great examples of what Kansas City means to Mizzou and vice versa.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:20 PM 12-21-2011
So, it's not ok for KU fans to not want to watch that football game, but it is ok for MU fans to not want to watch any of the basketball games....gotcha.
So now you're comparing non-conference basketball games against Northeast Cupcake Polytech to conference football games against your biggest rival?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:20 PM 12-21-2011
I have said repeatedly that most MU fans, myself included, are disappointed in the attendance thus far.

It's not my fault you're unable to grapple with a working definition of the work 'excuse'.

I'm not attempting to excuse the MU attendance, I'm attempting to explain it.

And again - I'm not the one running fansmack here.
[Reply]
Page 546 of 726
« First < 46446496536542543544545546 547548549550556596646 > Last »
Up