ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 545 of 726
« First < 45445495535541542543544545 546547548549555595645 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:45 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
Ahhh, but of course... we have better things to do excuse.
I don't see it as ringing any more hollow than the "our football team sucks so we don't go" excuse.

Same song, different verse.
[Reply]
Saul Good 12:47 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
Shreveport anyone?
I'll make a deal with you. If Mizzou only has 6,000 fans at the game and then launches an ad campaign claiming that Shreveport, LA is Mizzou country, you can have my signature line.
[Reply]
Pants 12:47 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
That's not true. Parts of Kansas are very close to Kansas City, Missouri which is pretty much the best part about Kansas.
This the guy who chooses to live in Kansas talking, BTW. How come you don't live on the MO side of the KC metro? I still don't get it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:48 PM 12-21-2011
We'll compare scoreboards after we play each other, I see no reason to compare anything at this point. And I wasn't taking about other schools, I was only talking about the shitty MU fans. KSU fasns have been good about supporting their school since OBZ first made his way over there.
Why do we keep swapping sports again?

Mizzou's football attendance ranks nationally every year. This year was no exception.

Our basketball attendance usually does as well and for reasons that folks in Columbia remain stumped about, isn't doing well this season.

It must be because we're all terrified by the Charlie Wies hire. I think that makes enough sense to fit into the logic that's been tossed around here this morning.
[Reply]
Pants 12:50 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't see it as ringing any more hollow than the "our football team sucks so we don't go" excuse.

No, not really. People get tired of watching their team get blown out by 5+ TDs over and over and over. The fact that tens of thousands still showed up to the Memorial Stadium is a testament to the KU fan's resolve.
[Reply]
Saul Good 12:51 PM 12-21-2011
Blah blah blah. KU had more fans in freaking Hawaii than MU did in Columbia. :-)
I'll bet they were pissed when they found out the gym only seated 2,500 people. If they wanted to travel in order to watch their team lose, they should have gone to the Davidson game or the game at Arrowhead.
[Reply]
Pants 12:51 PM 12-21-2011
Why do we keep swapping sports again?

Mizzou's football attendance ranks nationally every year. This year was no exception.

Our basketball attendance usually does as well and for reasons that folks in Columbia remain stumped about, isn't doing well this season.

It must be because we're all terrified by the Charlie Wies hire. I think that makes enough sense to fit into the logic that's been tossed around here this morning.
Saul Good was the one who brought up the records in KC. Kansas has played two games in KC: one was against MU at Arrowhead and the other was against Davidson at the Sprint Center. Last I checked, they don't play football inside the Sprint Center.
[Reply]
Dexter Manley 12:52 PM 12-21-2011
Question - who will win the SEC in sport XXXXXX?

Answer - "the Tigers"

a 3 in 14 shot with Auburn, LSU, and Mizzou
[Reply]
Dexter Manley 12:52 PM 12-21-2011
Question - who will win the SEC in sport XXXXXX?

Answer - "the Tigers"

a 3 in 14 shot with Auburn, LSU, and Mizzou
[Reply]
doomy3 12:53 PM 12-21-2011
This the guy who chooses to live in Kansas talking, BTW. How come you don't live on the MO side of the KC metro? I still don't get it.
That's a pretty dumb argument. I live on the Missouri fan and am a KU fan. Don't really see why that matters.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:54 PM 12-21-2011
No, not really. People get tired of watching their team get blown out by 5+ TDs over and over and over. The fact that tens of thousands still showed up to the Memorial Stadium is a testament to the KU fan's resolve.
Or the fact that college kids love getting drunk in the parking lot, stumbling into the stadium then leaving at half-time. Do you think you guys were at 20% capacity by the end of most of those games? Resolve my ass; they went to the parking lot at half, drank more and decided not to go back in. Die-hards indeed.

Give me a break.
[Reply]
Saul Good 12:55 PM 12-21-2011
When I think of "resolve" I think of the unwaivering support of KU football fans.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 12:55 PM 12-21-2011

It's an excuse, but a real one. Nobody wants to pay to see a shitty product. I wouldn't pay to see a shitty movie, I won't pay to see a shitty football team....and you can tell I'm not alone by looking at Arrowhead on your tv on Sundays.
[Reply]
Pants 12:57 PM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
I'll bet they were pissed when they found out the gym only seated 2,500 people. If they wanted to travel in order to watch their team lose, they should have gone to the Davidson game or the game at Arrowhead.
Sprint Center was sold out for the Davidson game and we did win a couple of games in Maui, champ.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:57 PM 12-21-2011
Or the fact that college kids love getting drunk in the parking lot, stumbling into the stadium then leaving at half-time. Do you think you guys were at 20% capacity by the end of most of those games? Resolve my ass; they went to the parking lot at half, drank more and decided not to go back in. Die-hards indeed.

Give me a break.
Americans just love football. Hell Missouri State for our shitty 2-9 I-AA team averaged around 12k for our football games.
[Reply]
Page 545 of 726
« First < 45445495535541542543544545 546547548549555595645 > Last »
Up