ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
MTG#10 01:02 PM 01-22-2022
Just did this right after Christmas. Stayed with the same company, but stepped down from a management position to just being a grunt. So far the paycut has been well worth the reduced stress/hours.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 01:38 PM 01-22-2022
The biggest mistake you can make is staying at a job you hate. Just not worth it.
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:39 PM 01-22-2022
Far too many variables. How close you are to retirement, what your plan is once you get there, the priority placed on earlier retirement, what kind d of pay cut you're talking about, how many hours constitutes burnout versus realistic expectations of the next job, options and how you can improve your current situation right now versus finding something else.....

And I know you're just looking for general experiences, but there are a lot of considerations that may or may not be relevant. I'm personally not one to think someone should sacrifice years and years of work they don't enjoy or that takes over their life for a retirement that may never even happen.... yet, depends on age, it could be something to tolerate for the future. :-)
[Reply]
bdj23 01:52 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Far too many variables. How close you are to retirement, what your plan is once you get there, the priority placed on earlier retirement, what kind d of pay cut you're talking about, how many hours constitutes burnout versus realistic expectations of the next job, options and how you can improve your current situation right now versus finding something else.....

And I know you're just looking for general experiences, but there are a lot of considerations that may or may not be relevant. I'm personally not one to think someone should sacrifice years and years of work they don't enjoy or that takes over their life for a retirement that may never even happen.... yet, depends on age, it could be something to tolerate for the future. :-)
I'm in my late 30s so decades away from retirement, and with the mental stress, the drinking (I don't drink a lot, but when I do drink, I'll put down an entire bottle of bourbon on a Saturday) and the general just grinding my body into dust, I'll be suprised if I make it to retirement.
[Reply]
Eureka 01:48 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Is not having the extra money worth being happy?

Promotions keep coming up for the large tech company I work for and I decline or don't throw my hat in for said promotion. My boss's and co-workers ask me why I don't move up and I simply state I am happy with where I'm at.

My current gig is super chill/No stress
It pays my bills
When I leave work it doesn't come home with me
No deadlines or stressful work

Used to have that busy stressful job making bigger $ and I find peace of mind/happiness is worth more then that extra money. If you can manage it then I would recommend OP make a move somehow.
[Reply]
TribalElder 01:51 PM 01-22-2022
you should leave

it's an employees market

a paycut is worth it for a better overall life
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 02:01 PM 01-22-2022
Schlitz gives the runniest poos
[Reply]
carlos3652 02:05 PM 01-22-2022
The market is so hot right now paying way more than what they were paying last year for the same positions.

Happiness and Culture is what it’s about now a days. Don’t take the pay cut if you are selling yourself short and just taking the first opportunity- but if this is something that you want to do, then go for it.

I turned down a job that would have paid me 50% more than what it pays right now for a director role, but I worked with the VP and CEO in the past and I turned it down knowing it would be toxic in the end, and while I would be set up financially for the next 2-3 years, it would have not been worth it.

If you can withstand it - I would search for different companies to work for and don’t settle on the first one that comes your way. But leave when you find the one you want (regardless of income, as long as you can make ends meet)
[Reply]
Sorce 02:20 PM 01-22-2022
If it is better for your mental health and you can meet obligations then do it. But keep looking for something better. If you can be in a better mindset to find something better don't feel loyalty to a company.
[Reply]
trndobrd 02:27 PM 01-22-2022
Been there. Get out while you have time to develop a plan and find a good place to land. If you keep pushing off the inevitable decision to leave until you physically/emotionally implode, you will have fewer options and potentially worse options.

Make your decision now, decide on a date that you want to working at your new job, then take the necessary steps to make the move. You will be suprised how much better you feel once you set the plan in motion.
[Reply]
arrwheader 02:40 PM 01-22-2022
I did this and then the next place I went to was horrid. It ended up showing me I didn't have it so bad and have me a renewed appreciation for what I had. Thankfully I got hired back to my old job and I am extremely happy.

However, I know guys that make a lot of money but never get any free time. Constantly working and sacrifice family and any leisure time and I think that is sad and stupid. Just selling out for money that will make your life easier perhaps but makes you a slave and miss out on life as they work it away.

If I had to take a pay cut to get more out of life then it would be worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-F711U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BWillie 02:46 PM 01-22-2022
The point of money is not to buy things, although you can do that along the way. The goal to money is freedom, of time and desire.
[Reply]
bdj23 02:54 PM 01-22-2022
Thank you for all the input fellas.

I love this place
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:42 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
I worked a ton of shitty jobs. Mean ass and or stupid bosses. Very unhappy. I developed a plan to chose where I worked so I’d never be in that situation again.

To your question, I stuck it out to reach the end goal of never being in that situation again. Don’t focus on the short term. Plan with your wife to get out that situation but still provide for the family and be a happier person at home.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 06:55 PM 01-22-2022
I took a job paying $25k less than what I was making before... (or a 20% pay cut) since the job was bullocks. Two years later, love my job and I am actually making $40k MORE than I was before.

I am in IT.. not sure what profession you are in... this may not translate to your job.

BUT, even before I started making more money at this job, I knew it was better, was learning more, enjoying life more, feeling less like a criminal since my last boss was sleezy, etc..
[Reply]
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up