I don’t think it’s even debatable at this point
[Reply]
Red Dawg 10:24 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
His options if that's the case:

1. Get ****ed

2. Play like a Top 5 LT

The ball is in his court.
No chance. Slow feet will not change. He's a guard who want LT money.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:24 AM 10-26-2021
:-)

There is absolutely no way Thuney can play left tackle.
[Reply]
notorious 10:25 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
No chance. Slow feet will not change. He's a guard who want LT money.
Option 1, then.

If he's given a top 5 contract while playing like this, the team is done for a while.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:51 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Brown will be fine if Pat steps up in the pocket and quits drifting.
"He'll be okay if we stick to 5 step drops..." is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Some of those sacks were him just getting smoked. Drift or no drift, Mahomes was gonna get rocked.

Play out the season, draft a developmental T in the 2nd or 3rd round, tag him in 2022 and if he can't be an asset in pass protection and hold up against speed rushing at the end of the tag year, you let him walk.

The tag for OL is going to be okay. Not cheap, but not exorbitant (I believe 'OL' is the tag category, not just OTs). But we're seeing those athletic limitations that we all knew he had being exposed too much for a team built around a franchise (HoF) quarterback.

You can't go tailoring your offense to your LT. If he isn't the answer here, find someone that is. I think some of this again gets back to concerns I have regarding Veach's tendency towards over-correction and tunnel-vision. I think he recognized the struggles in the run game and just tilted the knob too far in that direction in his pursuit of these road-grader OL types.

We are not, and should not be, a team built around mauler tackles.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:59 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
"He'll be okay if we stick to 5 step drops..." is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Some of those sacks were him just getting smoked. Drift or no drift, Mahomes was gonna get rocked.

Play out the season, draft a developmental T in the 2nd or 3rd round, tag him in 2022 and if he can't be an asset in pass protection and hold up against speed rushing at the end of the tag year, you let him walk.

The tag for OL is going to be okay. Not cheap, but not exorbitant (I believe 'OL' is the tag category, not just OTs). But we're seeing those athletic limitations that we all knew he had being exposed too much for a team built around a franchise (HoF) quarterback.

You can't go tailoring your offense to your LT. If he isn't the answer here, find someone that is. I think some of this again gets back to concerns I have regarding Veach's tendency towards over-correction and tunnel-vision. I think he recognized the struggles in the run game and just tilted the knob too far in that direction in his pursuit of these road-grader OL types.

We are not, and should not be, a team built around mauler tackles.
I disagree here. Again I think this team got pigeon-holed into desperation for a LT. Once Fisher got hurt we knew 2021 would not be easy for him. A severe injury like that on a linemandoes not bode well for short term success. He’s probably not gonna be right until next season.

And I can’t blame these guys. They went balls in on Trent Williams and nearly got the motherfucker, however it isn’t their fault he chose to stay in SF.

There just were not options here. Brown Jr was the only available LT candidate. And hell none of these draft prospects are LT’s around our pick. None.

Only option I can tell was Darrisaw. Okay everyone knows we need a LT and we need to move up 9 spots. That’s gonna cost us quite a bit. Then people would bitch at Veach for giving up what was required to do that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:04 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I disagree here. Again I think this team got pigeon-holed into desperation for a LT. Once Fisher got hurt we knew 2021 would not be easy for him. A severe injury like that on a linemandoes not bode well for short term success. He’s probably not gonna be right until next season.

And I can’t blame these guys. They went balls in on Trent Williams and nearly got the motherfucker, however it isn’t their fault he chose to stay in SF.

There just were not options here. Brown Jr was the only available LT candidate. And hell none of these draft prospects are LT’s around our pick. None.

Only option I can tell was Darrisaw. Okay everyone knows we need a LT and we need to move up 9 spots. That’s gonna cost us quite a bit. Then people would bitch at Veach for giving up what was required to do that.
And that's a possibility as well. I've actually defended Veach in that regard. Brown was probably the best of bad options made necessary by an unforeseeable set of circumstances.

And ultimately I don't think the cost to acquire him was prohibitive at all.

Maybe you're right and they'll course correct. I just worry that we sure seemed to have target beef on the OL and in the process have sacrificed a fair amount of athleticism. We're seeing the consequences of that.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:13 AM 10-26-2021
And everyone on Trent Williams nuts…..he didn’t play this last week.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:33 PM 10-26-2021
I don't think anyone's really on Williams nuts, are they?

Veach shot his shot, at worst he price enforced the hell out of SF and he got out-bid. Shit happens.

Frankly, it's possible he finally learned something from the Watkins/Mathieu negotiations where he was just gonna keep hitting 'bid' until the auction closed.

If it took $1.5 million/game to Sammy Watkins to finally teach him when to pull the chute, it's money well spent (I guess...)
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:41 PM 10-26-2021
I don't think anyone's really on Williams nuts, are they?

Veach shot his shot, at worst he price enforced the hell out of SF and he got out-bid. Shit happens.

Frankly, it's possible he finally learned something from the Watkins/Mathieu negotiations where he was just gonna keep hitting 'bid' until the auction closed.

If it took $1.5 million/game to Sammy Watkins to finally teach him when to pull the chute, it's money well spent (I guess...)
There have always been people that consider Veach missing out on Williams as a knock on Veach. They’re usually the ones who complain when we don’t sign guys like Mercilus. Veach can’t close.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:17 PM 10-26-2021
And that's a possibility as well. I've actually defended Veach in that regard. Brown was probably the best of bad options made necessary by an unforeseeable set of circumstances.

And ultimately I don't think the cost to acquire him was prohibitive at all.

Maybe you're right and they'll course correct. I just worry that we sure seemed to have target beef on the OL and in the process have sacrificed a fair amount of athleticism. We're seeing the consequences of that.
I think this is it. Best case scenario is they surveyed the options, the possible targets at their draft pick etc. and decided Brown was the best out there - that may be right. He's been poor but possibly the best we could get.

The worst case scenario is they brought him and others in expecting them to be part of a unit that excels in the run game and opens that up. Given they brought in Thuney whose more in the technician/pass pro first mould I'd hope it's just the first scenario and they've not tried to be too clever.
[Reply]
notorious 02:22 PM 10-26-2021
Brokesilverdick.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:25 PM 10-26-2021
You all realize if because of speed rushers they have Mahomes stepping up on every pass teams will blitz the middle.

If you're LT can't win 1 on 1 in passing situations thats horrible.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 02:31 PM 10-26-2021
People act like Veach passed up a sure fire, Willie Roaf in his prime type LT last offseason… there was no one available like that.

OBJ was the realistic/best LT option available.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:32 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
You all realize if because of speed rushers they have Mahomes stepping up on every pass teams will blitz the middle.

And people act like dude got beat every pass play. He didn’t.
[Reply]
kcclone 02:35 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:

So far teams are not blitzing us much. They don’t need to. They’re getting tons of pressure with 4
[Reply]
Page 49 of 112
« First < 394546474849 505152535999 > Last »
Up