ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 49 of 54
« First < 394546474849 50515253 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
BigRedChief 08:22 AM 05-23-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Plumeria just growing like weeds there while I have to work super hard to get them to thrive and hopefully not die. :-)

That's a beautiful bouquet of pink plumeria flowers. Simply awesome. Do those ones smell?
Oh yeah. You can smell them from a distance.
[Reply]
kay_may 12:40 AM 05-22-2023
These flowers look beautiful. I also have them in my garden. I love spending time in my garden, so I decided to buy some pieces of furniture to put there. What can you recommend me?
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:22 AM 05-23-2023
I've been on a rampage building raised gardens and mound garden spots based on hugelkultur.

I've build the boxes, and I tried a design with plastic barrels split in half. The premise is that I have stumps and logs underneath the mounds and as filler in the raised beds.

I'm also trying potato box method of raising potatoes using my old bee hive boxes.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:41 AM 05-23-2023
Had to cut down my Ash tree yesterday.

Fuck you, emerald ash borers.

Guess I'll put in a pin oak to get a decent, hardy, fast growing shade tree back there. I really liked that Ash tree, though. Crap on a stick.
[Reply]
Graystoke 02:55 PM 05-23-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Guess I'll put in a pin oak to get a decent, hardy, fast growing shade tree back there. I really liked that Ash tree, though. Crap on a stick.
Its a bloody shame about Ash Trees. I lost 5 in my yard.
My replacement trees so far:
I needed to be very selective as my area can flood the yard.
Kentucky Coffee Tree
Swamp Oak
Honey Locust
Blaze Maple
River Birch

The Honey Locust are really struggling. I don't think the soil conditions are correct for it because I had one already fail and replaced under warranty.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:22 PM 05-23-2023

My small golf course took down almost 40 over the winter.....They are not finished.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:50 PM 05-27-2023

Our climates and soil types are remarkably different, but I put in a shamrock linden and I was amazed at how Hardy it was and surprised by how quick it grew.

Might look into some form of Linden tree.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:11 AM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Our climates and soil types are remarkably different, but I put in a shamrock linden and I was amazed at how Hardy it was and surprised by how quick it grew.

I have a couple of Linden trees. Those Japanese Beetles love them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:11 AM 05-13-2024
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
Its a bloody shame about Ash Trees. I lost 5 in my yard.
My replacement trees so far:
I needed to be very selective as my area can flood the yard.
Kentucky Coffee Tree
Swamp Oak
Honey Locust
Blaze Maple
River Birch

The Honey Locust are really struggling. I don't think the soil conditions are correct for it because I had one already fail and replaced under warranty.
People plant Honey Locusts? God almighty - the number of those I've cut down at the farm is just beyond count. The things go wild out there. As fun as those giant ass thorns are, they gots to go. They will simply crowd out the stuff I want to live out there.

I do like Lindens. Didn't want to deal with the pods but i really like that compact shape and smaller leaves. Most of them make that oval shape as well. You see them in parks around here and they do pretty well out here.

If I ever decide to take my maple out (because Maples just bore the hell out of me) I'll probably replace it with a Linden in the side yard out front.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:24 AM 05-13-2024
People plant Honey Locusts? God almighty - the number of those I've cut down at the farm is just beyond count. The things go wild out there. As fun as those giant ass thorns are, they gots to go. They will simply crowd out the stuff I want to live out there.

I do like Lindens. Didn't want to deal with the pods but i really like that compact shape and smaller leaves. Most of them make that oval shape as well. You see them in parks around here and they do pretty well out here.

If I ever decide to take my maple out (because Maples just bore the hell out of me) I'll probably replace it with a Linden in the side yard out front.
I'm jealous maples won't run out here because we have high pH. The calcium carbonate ties up iron and they get chlorotic really bad. And yet motherfuckers still chose to plant them. One in my GD yard. I want to cunt punt whomever did that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:31 PM 05-13-2024
I'm jealous maples won't run out here because we have high pH. The calcium carbonate ties up iron and they get chlorotic really bad. And yet motherfuckers still chose to plant them. One in my GD yard. I want to cunt punt whomever did that.
That's because you live in a barren wasteland where no humanity should exist.

Just turn that shit over to the Buffalo...
[Reply]
srvy 11:25 PM 05-27-2023

I hate freaking Pin Oaks. If a branch breaks near the end of the limb the whole branch dies to the trunk. Then you are constantly picking up dead branches that blow down in a storm or any high wind. They also go through cycles of heavy acorns that those grey tree rats love. Fox Squirrels can't digest them if you have those Red squirrels kiss them goodbye. The greys breed like rabbits and Fox squirrels hate them and move on. Greys dig little holes in your lawn digging up the billions of pin oak nuts they will drop. Then any auto left out at night grays love to chew the insulation off wiring. Thats a nice bill to track down the electric short.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 05:15 AM 06-09-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
I hate freaking Pin Oaks. If a branch breaks near the end of the limb the whole branch dies to the trunk. Then you are constantly picking up dead branches that blow down in a storm or any high wind. They also go through cycles of heavy acorns that those grey tree rats love. Fox Squirrels can't digest them if you have those Red squirrels kiss them goodbye. The greys breed like rabbits and Fox squirrels hate them and move on. Greys dig little holes in your lawn digging up the billions of pin oak nuts they will drop. Then any auto left out at night grays love to chew the insulation off wiring. Thats a nice bill to track down the electric short.
100% correct.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:05 AM 05-13-2024

Went with a Prairie Stature oak.

I'm just a fan of white oaks; always have been. Acorns looked cool, really pretty leaves with those rounded white oak lobes. And an oak that gets red coloration in the leaves in the fall is pretty slick.
[Reply]
Iowanian 12:15 PM 05-23-2023
I have about 25 Ash trees, several are really big that have to come down.
[Reply]
Page 49 of 54
« First < 394546474849 50515253 > Last »
Up