ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 49 of 256
« First < 394546474849 505152535999149 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's Talk About Baltimore (AFC Championship)
SHOWTIME 08:41 PM 01-21-2024
Headed back to the AFC Championship Game!!!! Discuss.
[Reply]
Johnny8 01:32 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by mabbott:
I will start this by saying that Lamar is a unique talent. He brings a lot to the scheme that Baltimore plays with. Outside of that scheme, he would not be a good QB. That is why Baltimore built their offense around Lamar.

This MVP stuff is garbage. How can you seriously say someone has MVP stats as a QB with under 4,000 yards in 17 games??? When he won in 2019 he ran for 1200 yards! That was impressive. If he wins this year it cheapens the award. McCaffrey had a better season, Hill had a better season. At least be honest with yourselves. The RAVENS have had an MVP year, not Lamar. In 2019 Lamar had 36 TDs and this year he had 24 with an extra game!
Yeah, you don't watch a lot of football do you? 2019 MVP with an ENTIRELY different, almost triple option scheme and different OC. 2023 MVP with a new OC and entirely new scheme. But thanks for flagging one of the tired narratives I left out in a previous post - I omitted "scheme/system quarterback."

It's wild that I can come on here and admit Patrick Mahomes is great - he truly is, while also saying I think our soon-to-be 2-time MVP is, you know, maybe, ALSO GOOD. The level of hate Lamar gets from opposing fans is mind boggling.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:33 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by Johnny8:
It's just wild. Lamar is about to win his second MVP and yet every single opposing fan uses the same narrative. He can't throw outside the numbers, stop the run and force him to pass and they're f'd! It's wild the amount of disrespect he gets as a soon-to-be two time MVP while the same folks slobber all over people like Josh Allen (who is also good, but, you know, not a soon-to-be 2 time MVP). I wonder why!
I think you continue to see that because... well, when you watch him... he still doesn't consistently get zip or accuracy on throws outside the numbers in the short and intermediate areas. And when you make him move, his accuracy still gets inconsistent.

They've put much better weapons around him and a better scheme, and he has been even more effective.

He's really talented, so it's hard to slow him down and force him to do the things he's not as good at doing. You have to have the personnel and scheme and discipline to make it work.

Super, super hard to do with what they've put around him and the way Monken has set up the offense.
[Reply]
Johnny8 01:34 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Lamar is supposed to be a QB... so I look at his passing #'s... which were mediocre... as usual.
Wow what a great and original thought! Yes, just cover the other touchdowns and yards with your hand when you look at box scores that does make life simpler.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:35 PM 01-23-2024
Ravens season ticket holder here (fuck me, AIDS fire, etc.).

Totally nervous for the game, solely because of Patrick Mahomes. The KC defense is good, too, but a lot of teams have good defenses. PM is just a generational talent that plays his best football in the playoffs, as you well know.

Think it will be a good game, and likely within 4 points or so either way. I've seen some people talk about Andrews with mixed reactions, but one user pointed out that he thinks Andrews will actually mess with the chemistry (paraphrasing). I TOTALLY agree. I love Andrews, but likely has been fantastic, and we've been playing the best football since 2019 since Christmas, so I'm a bit nervous to mess with that.
Welcome and glad that you are here.

Genuinely curious as to your thoughts regarding how Baltimore will play KC. I personally think that they are so confident that they will line up and play the way the have all year without making adjustments for KC. Thoughts on that? Or do you think they try to mix it up some to throw KC off.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:36 PM 01-23-2024
The only time Mahomes has ever choker in the playoffs is vs the Bengals in 2022 in the 2nd half. He either had a concussion or Eric Bienemy yelled at him at halftime putting him into a downward spiral. Neither are an issue this year at this time.

If you ask me we won vs Brady in Mahomes first year. Yes Ford was offsides but I can show you about 90 times this year Chris Jones has been offsides and hes probably been called for it twice. It is such an unlikely call. Unlucky if you will. Almost like Tom Brady told the ref to call it in a pivotal point even though it had not be an issue the entire game up to it.

Mahomes is not losing this game. The only people that can fuck it up is Toney, Skyy or MVS.
[Reply]
DRM08 01:38 PM 01-23-2024
Yeah, you don't watch a lot of football do you? 2019 MVP with an ENTIRELY different, almost triple option scheme and different OC. 2023 MVP with a new OC and entirely new scheme. But thanks for flagging one of the tired narratives I left out in a previous post - I omitted "scheme/system quarterback."

It's wild that I can come on here and admit Patrick Mahomes is great - he truly is, while also saying I think our soon-to-be 2-time MVP is, you know, maybe, ALSO GOOD. The level of hate Lamar gets from opposing fans is mind boggling.
Lamar is great. You can’t really stop him, just hope to slow him down in some way. I did not like what I saw from KC’s defense in the first 3 quarters against Buffalo. They were getting killed in the run game. They will need to play a lot better in this Baltimore game if they hope to win.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:39 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Need ball security on offense. The Hardman goal line fumble cost them 7 points and they were fortunate to recover the other Hardman fumble which led to 3 points on a field goal.
Last week was the week to get 'em.

We've learned from our mistakes. Hardman won't get a chance to repeat that shit.
[Reply]
Johnny8 01:39 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Welcome and glad that you are here.

Genuinely curious as to your thoughts regarding how Baltimore will play KC. I personally think that they are so confident that they will line up and play the way the have all year without making adjustments for KC. Thoughts on that? Or do you think they try to mix it up some to throw KC off.
I think the whole team - but especially the defense - is incredibly confident right now. And honestly, they should be. They've played incredible football.

To your question, I'm honestly not sure, but I think generally the same. I think we'll continue not to blitz often - as that's where PM can really beat you. I think we try to get pressure with our DL as we have all year and double Kelce as much as makes sense. Although I do think we'll use Kyle Hamilton to match up with him.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 01:41 PM 01-23-2024
Wow what a great and original thought! Yes, just cover the other touchdowns and yards with your hand when you look at box scores that does make life simpler.
What do you call a mediocre (at best) passer and an elite runner?

A glorified RB.
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:43 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think you continue to see that because... well, when you watch him... he still doesn't consistently get zip or accuracy on throws outside the numbers in the short and intermediate areas. And when you make him move, his accuracy still gets inconsistent.

They've put much better weapons around him and a better scheme, and he has been even more effective.

He's really talented, so it's hard to slow him down and force him to do the things he's not as good at doing. You have to have the personnel and scheme and discipline to make it work.

Super, super hard to do with what they've put around him and the way Monken has set up the offense.
Yeah, I seriously doubt anyone denies he's a great playmaker and racks up yards... but to pretend he's a great passer or on par with the all around abilities of say Josh Allen is simply being dishonest.

And Allen needed Daboll and they've tried to fix the turnover issues.... and Jackson needs quite a bit more than that to hide the fact he's not at all a good passer.
[Reply]
stevegroganfan 01:50 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by RavensMania:
that's probably true. Mahomes is the new Brady with roughing penalties.
Of 71 qualifying QB's on NFL penalties website, Brady is 57th out of 71 in roughing the passer calls. He got 36 of them for his entire career.

Roughing calls per 100 passes
Brady .36.
Mahomes .55
L Jackson .572

So both Mahomes and Jackson have gotten a little over .50% more which seems reasonable when you adjust for Mahomes and Jackson not playing in earlier era where roughing the passer wasn't called as often. Brady really played in around 3 eras of football. The first was very similar to the 90's when QBs didn't get special treatment compared to today.

Payton Manning got the least but he retired before the NFL starting really protecting players even more. Even Manning started his career 5 years later and played as long as Brady, he would have gotten a lot more calls. And Colts usually invested in their offensive line more than the Patriots. Patriots invested in defense and just expected Brady to process quickly and make the best out of the situation.

The most per 100 passes was RG3 at more than 1.2 per 100 passes which is over 3 times as many per 100 plays as Brady. He had a bad offensive line during his short career and refs most of felt sorry for him but the NFL may have been trying to protect him when he was being beaten to death.
[Reply]
mabbott 01:58 PM 01-23-2024

Why is it that you cannot accept what/who your QB is. I acknowledged his talent. I am not going to lie to myself about how he ranks as a passer. As a runner he is at the top of the league for QBs. As a passer he is just middle of the pack at best. His QBR is inflated by (this will be a surprise to no one) his running!

No one is saying Lamar isn't good and what did I say that was hate? Facts?

I guess no one willing to give Lamar a ridiculous contract except the Ravens was just Lamar hate. How many teams would be offering Mahomes a contract if the Chiefs played the same contract game that the Ravens did with Lamar?
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:00 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Lamar is great. You can’t really stop him, just hope to slow him down in some way. I did not like what I saw from KC’s defense in the first 3 quarters against Buffalo. They were getting killed in the run game. They will need to play a lot better in this Baltimore game if they hope to win.
That offense is about as tough as it gets to defend... you always have to respect the passing game by not getting sucked into the run game, and they were using all 50 yards horizontally. At some point you're saying watch the flats, watch the quick passes over the middle of the field, but be ready for the run, and be ready for Allen to take off at any time, and be ready for Allen to play hero ball.... it's a lot.

And their biggest issue wasn't so much between the 20s as it was letting Allen loose on 3rd downs and the bend-don't-break breaking a fee times.

I assume this weekend, Spags will dare Lamar to beat them through the air... I think the game slows down for them some this week.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 02:00 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by stevegroganfan:
Of 71 qualifying QB's on NFL penalties website, Brady is 57th out of 71 in roughing the passer calls. He got 36 of them for his entire career.

Brady .36.
Mahomes .55
L Jackson .572

So both Mahomes and Jackson have gotten a little over .50% more which seems reasonable when you adjust for Mahomes and Jackson not playing in earlier era where roughing the passer wasn't called as often. Brady really played in around 3 eras of football. The first was very similar to the 90's when QBs didn't get special treatment compared to today.

Payton Manning got the least but he retired before the NFL starting really protecting players even more. Even Manning started his career 5 years later and played as long as Brady, he would have gotten a lot more calls. And Colts usually invested in their offensive line more than the Patriots. Patriots invested in defense and just expected Brady to process quickly and make the best out of the situation.

The most per 100 passes was RG3 at more than 1.2 per 100 passes which is over 3 times as many per 100 plays as Brady. He had a bad offensive line during his short career and refs most of felt sorry for him but the NFL may have been trying to protect him when he was being beaten to death.
The league has changed the last 10 years... Shoot a rule was changed when Brady got hit below the waist...
[Reply]
tredadda 02:01 PM 01-23-2024
Originally Posted by stevegroganfan:

Brady .36.
Mahomes .55
L Jackson .572

When he gets the calls matters, kinda like in the AFCCG when he got one when he was hit in the shoulder.
[Reply]
Page 49 of 256
« First < 394546474849 505152535999149 > Last »
Up