ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 477 of 488
« First < 377427467473474475476477 478479480481487 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2022 Free Agency Megathread****
The Franchise 10:55 AM 03-13-2022
Legal tampering period begins tomorrow, March 14th. Throw all of your rumors and moves in here.

Obviously, for the people who hate mega threads, feel free to create a new thread for larger moves and anything Chiefs.

DANIEL SORENSEN IS NO LONGER ON THIS TEAM!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:23 PM 06-11-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I think you can include Chenal in that, he's going to be a guy who you simply can't leave on the bench in my opinion. He's a play waiting to happen.
Sure. I just am not sure how much they'll be in 3-LB sets, or that he'll earn PT in front of Bolton or Gay in any of the sets.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:28 PM 06-11-2022
Seems like Chenal would have to really lay an egg to not be the starting Sam in the base.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:55 AM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Seems like Chenal would have to really lay an egg to not be the starting Sam in the base.

Oh, I agree. Just not sure how many snaps they’ll actually be in a 3-LB set.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:09 AM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
And this has nothing to do with the coaching staff.
We’ve seen the overall defense have growing pains before as it meshes, so I absolutely default to that expectation this season given that it’s not just a number of new defensive players but young ones as well. And I’ll definitely put some of that on the Spags’ defense.

I’d be thrilled if they came out balling but I don’t expect it.
[Reply]
O.city 07:32 AM 06-12-2022
Teams have new staff come in every year and don’t take so long to “gel”

I don’t know why the chiefs defense always does but I’m thinking it’s more talent than scheme
[Reply]
Bowser 07:50 AM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:

I don’t know why the chiefs defense always does but I’m thinking it’s more talent than scheme
I've been checking out highlights from last year's games lately. The lack of pass rush without blitzing is stark, as was watching Ben Niemann and Dan Sorensen get pushed around the field. Our secondary seemed to play pretty well in spite of a lack of serious and constant pressure from our d-line (minus Mike Hughes and to a lesser degree Tyann Mathieu), so yeah, it was absolutely lack of talent at key positions where other offenses knew to attack.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:25 AM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:

Last year Spags was a fucking moron who valued the gritty slow whiffed tackling of Daniel Sorensen over literally anything else that had a remote chance of not sucking so much.

There’s your “gel time” last year
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:56 AM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Last year Spags was a ****ing moron who valued the gritty slow whiffed tackling of Daniel Sorensen over literally anything else that had a remote chance of not sucking so much.

There’s your “gel time” last year
Who else was he supposed to play?
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:11 AM 06-12-2022
The pass rush will get better if the secondary gets better.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:29 AM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Who else was he supposed to play?

You can shit on Thornhill all you want, but he wasn’t Sorensen level bad
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:37 AM 06-12-2022
it was my understanding that Thornhill didn't play a lot of the Sorenson roles in certain packages?
[Reply]
-King- 12:00 PM 06-12-2022
The pass rush will get better if the secondary gets better.

That's....the exact opposite of how it works.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:07 PM 06-12-2022
Not really in our case.

I would explain it to you but I doubt you'd listen
[Reply]
-King- 12:21 PM 06-12-2022
Not really in our case.

I would explain it to you but I doubt you'd listen
So you think we're the exception to this rule? We're going to master getting coverage sacks somehow? Please explain to me.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:35 PM 06-12-2022
Here is a post that summarizes it.

Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
So,

I stumbled on an interesting statistic- 2021 NFL pass rush win rate.

KC was 7th in the league, at 44%. Criteria being that the rusher beat his block within 2.5 seconds.

However, they were what, 29th in sacks? So clearly, not getting home.

We know that Veach had said that defensive line was a priority, and indeed, we added Karlaftis in the first round, but that so far appears to be the only addition. Reason for panic? OR...

Is it the opinion of the coaching staff and front office that a main reason for the lack of pass rush FINISH (meaning sack, batted pass, busted play incompletions, etc) is POOR coverage and poor athleticism in the back 7?

Kind of looks like it, doesn't it?

Mathieu (definitely a down year), Sorenson (good lord, how bad did the guy have to be), Watts, all gone. Ward (not bad, but a mismatch against #1's), Hughes (just too short) gone.

Add McDuffie (get a load of the kid's stats in college!), Williams at CB (excellent size and athletic ability) , bring back Baker, add Lonnie Johnson-and you're still got Sneed and Fenton. This should be considerably better.

Add Reid (bigger, faster, younger Mathieu), Cook (bigger, faster, younger Sorensen) This should be considerably better.

And with Gay in year 3, Bolton taking over at MLB in year two-we added Chenal, who looks to be a really great fit at SAM, with some pass rush juice to boot. And thank the gods, no more ****ing Niemann.

It seems to me that The Chiefs think the primary problem was poor coverage.

Either that, or they know something about Kaindoh and Herring that we don't.

The Chiefs looked at their pressure rate and realized they were seventh in the league. But it wasn't equating to sacks. Instead of fixing the pass rush, they are trying to improve the secondary.

Forcing QBs to take a full second longer to throw the ball would theoretically skyrocket our sack rate to the top ten in the league. They seem determined to do so, which is why they drafted five defensive backs, traded for a safety and brought in a dozen or so more guys to camp. They seem determined to fix the pass rush by fixing the secondary.
[Reply]
Page 477 of 488
« First < 377427467473474475476477 478479480481487 > Last »
Up