View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 46 of 343
« First < 364243444546 474849505696146 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Nickhead 06:01 AM 06-17-2022
if they make a stipulation he stays under 315 lbs,

they lock him in for 6 years, 138,000,000 million, 69,000,000 guaranteed.

for reference:

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:26 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
if they make a stipulation he stays under 315 lbs,

they lock him in for 6 years, 138,000,000 million, 69,000,000 guaranteed.

for reference:

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle
he will never be under 315 pounds. Ever. And he shouldn't be. He's a much more massive man than that.
[Reply]
TEX 07:01 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Tell us where to go to get a cheaper replacement LT who is as good if not better than Brown, and I’ll be right with you on the “Don’t pay him!!!” train
Don't know. But perhaps they could get by with one who is not quite as "good" and pay him relative to his play? I don't think finding one in the top half of the league would be too difficult. I mean right now, we're using Top 12 as defining criteria. It's not like we're saying he's Top 3 or 5. I could go for a deal in that range, but not #1.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:14 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
Don't know. But perhaps they could get by with one who is not quite as "good" and pay him relative to his play? I don't think finding one in the top half of the league would be too difficult. I mean right now, we're using Top 12 as defining criteria. It's not like we're saying he's Top 3 or 5. I could go for a deal in that range, but not #1.
Several LT's get drafted in the top half of the first round EVERY YEAR. What does that tell you?

It should tell you that it's a LOT more difficult than you are imagining.
[Reply]
TEX 07:33 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Several LT's get drafted in the top half of the first round EVERY YEAR. What does that tell you?

True . But then a guy like Slater comes along at #13. So it can be done.
[Reply]
Hoover 08:13 AM 06-17-2022
I love how we bitched about Eric Fisher for years, and now people are basically clamoring for a LT like Fisher.

I can't wait to see what Brown does in year two with the Chiefs. I think this kid will only keep getting better
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:23 AM 06-17-2022
Armstead, & Bakhtiari cone to mind
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:27 AM 06-17-2022
A lot of people really hung up on the principle of the matter when paying Orlando Brown. It isn't your money and you shouldn't care unless it hamstrings us in regards to the cap.

Well that's easy, put together a contract that sounds flashy with a big signing bonus that has a ton of clauses and get out of jail back doors in it. It's not like his "agent" will be familiar with those.

You can sign him and not have it be a Frank Clark contract which is what people are really worried about.
[Reply]
O.city 08:36 AM 06-17-2022
Trade up into the top 10 ish for a LT? Nah fam.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:39 AM 06-17-2022
Well, a Mahomes can be found at #10. Or a Trubisky at #1.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:51 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
A lot of people really hung up on the principle of the matter when paying Orlando Brown. It isn't your money and you shouldn't care unless it hamstrings us in regards to the cap.

Well that's easy, put together a contract that sounds flashy with a big signing bonus that has a ton of clauses and get out of jail back doors in it. It's not like his "agent" will be familiar with those.

You can sign him and not have it be a Frank Clark contract which is what people are really worried about.
Playing it in the press saying " They won't want a backup LT blocking" comment is what is getting me.

Fuck him if he wants to hold the franchise hostage let OBJ play on the tag.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 09:10 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
His numbers were low because for whatever reason Reid and Mahomes couldn't figure out how to exploit defenses that were dead set on stopping Hill. That allowed defenses to keep 2 people on him no matter what and even with that he still had a great year.

When you have 1200 yards and 9 touchdowns against defenses that change how they play specifically for you, that's a great season.

His numbers weren't low, they were right on par with what he typically does. Aside from one 1400 yard year, Hill is a career 1200 yard guy.

Originally Posted by :
But this isn't about Hill. Do you guys really want to make Orlando the highest paid LT simply because he's holding us at gunpoint? You guys aren't even bringing up how good he is as a reason to give him that deal. It's all "well he has the leverage". It's like the Frank Clark situation where he had the leverage in negotiations because we had already traded for him and HAD to give him a big deal. It's just a bad way of doing business IMO.
No. But he's going to be overpaid, and that's that.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 09:12 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
This season? We're stuck at this point so either pay him or call his bluff. Next season all options are open. If you believe you have to be in the top 15 to get a good LT, we have ammo to move up. Or we can sign one or trade for one.

But does anyone really think he'll hold out through the season if we don't sign him to an elite tier contract? How would that help him?
I don't think he'll hold out, but the options next season aren't great.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:18 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

Shit, even when you have your pick of elite guys, it is difficult to find a LT who is even as good as Brown is right now.

Mekhi Becton, Andrew Thomas, Sewell... not to mention the fucking Wilson kid the Titans blew a 1st-round pick on around the Chiefs' normal draft slot.

Acquiring a good LT is expensive, and is not a guarantee to get it right even when you do have the right draft capital.

Considering that CAM FUCKING ROBINSON just got $18M AAV on the open market, the odds of being able to sign a guy as good as Brown to LESS than what Brown is asking for are miniscule.

COULD it work out to pinch pennies on Brown and decide not to pay him like one of the top guys at his position? Yes, it could. But there also is a HUGE amount of risk involved there...

Much more risk than trying to find elite pass catchers (which are located in random places all the time and can be SCHEMED into extreme effectiveness).
[Reply]
-King- 09:20 AM 06-17-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I don't think he'll hold out, but the options next season aren't great.
Cool. Then he gets to prove if he deserve the deal he wants. If he plays like a premier LT, then pay him like one. If not, then the chiefs saved themselves from making a big mistake.
[Reply]
Page 46 of 343
« First < 364243444546 474849505696146 > Last »
Up