ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 455 of 726
« First < 355405445451452453454455 456457458459465505555 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 10:51 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
Yeah, just sucks that they're so far away. :-)
Instantly the most scenic area of the Big XII after Colorado left.
[Reply]
Saul Good 10:52 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Does this mean that MU started the whole conference realignment 15 years ago with it's initial flirting with the Big 10?

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

Deseret News, The (Salt Lake City, UT) - January 16, 1993

MISSOURI INTERESTED IN JUMPING TO THE BIG TEN

When University of Missouri officials talk about the Tigers' athletic future as it relates to the Big Eight, they use words like ``content'' and ``satisfied.'' They bring out the superlatives when that future is related to the Big Ten.``The Big Ten is uniformly high-quality public research universities,'' Chancellor Charles Kiesler said. ``That's what we think we are. When we...

Purchase Complete Article, of 466 words
I believe that both Kansas and Missouri were trying to join together.
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 10:54 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Why would adding another team force anyone to drop a non-con?

If they stick to 4 non-con games and play 6 'divisional' games, they have their 'rival' game against the other division and an additional non-rival game across the division (crosses fingers; hopes for Ole Miss...).

Sooner or later they'll likely switch to 9 conference games and 3 non-con, but absolutely nothing that happens over the next couple of weeks would mandate that.

Yeah, it probably is just a simple process of 'insert Missouri here'; especially since it would actually make conference scheduling much easier on balance. They could have it knocked out in a matter of hours, really. A computer algorithm would spit out a bunch of alternatives, they'd probably be able to boot several of them out immediately and have a schedule voted on and finalized by the end of the day.

It wouldn't be that difficult at all.
OK, but that is predicated on "ifs". I remeber reading that the conference schedule finalizations were coming up, which I believe what prompted Neinas to say he didn't think MU would be able to leave for next year, to which Alden said they still could. Also, the official word out of the conferences so far is that they haven't made a 14 team schedule (although I highly doubt that). Without knowing the structure of that schedule, there could indeed be deadlines, but they could be internal deadlines like, "If they join by this date, we'll do this, this date, we'll do this, and then by this date, they'll just have to wait until next year".

My point is, the SEC wants to get things finalized as well and I'm sure they are working with MU in determining when they would like this business finished up, to which, I'm sure MU is trying to comply. The Big XII isn't going to do anything to appear as though they are pushing them out, so most of the time constraints are on MU.
[Reply]
Saul Good 10:55 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Awesome upgrade here!
Big time upgrade. Wonder why both the ACC and SEC rejected them since they're such an upgrade.

I guess the conference didn't suffer any damages since they were able to upgrade. Everybody wins.
[Reply]
HolyHandgernade 10:57 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Big time upgrade. Wonder why both the ACC and SEC rejected them since they're such an upgrade.

I guess the conference didn't suffer any damages since they were able to upgrade. Everybody wins.
A win/win!
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 11:00 AM 10-25-2011
PLEASE GOD BE TRUE
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:02 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
Instantly the most scenic area of the Big XII after Colorado left.
And until BYU is persuaded to join.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 11:03 AM 10-25-2011
And until BYU is persuaded to join.
I want BYU for its media outlets...
[Reply]
Saul Good 11:05 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
I want BYU for its media outlets...
That's like wanting Texas for the LHN.
[Reply]
notorious 11:07 AM 10-25-2011
I am good with the move as long as they don't have a "We think we are important" attitude.

That shit gets old real fast.
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 11:07 AM 10-25-2011
Awesome upgrade here!
If WVU was an upgrade then the SEC would want them. The SEC doesn't.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 11:08 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
That's like wanting Texas for the LHN.
Yeah pretty much that but not even close...

BYU has a channel on DTV on the Sports Teir and a radio network on siriusxm.
[Reply]
Pants 11:09 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
The program is most definitely an upgrade. I'm not sure about the TV sets, though.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 11:10 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
The ACC took Pitt.

:-)

Performance on the field means very little.
[Reply]
Saul Good 11:11 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
Yeah pretty much that but not even close...

BYU has a channel on DTV on the Sports Teir and a radio network on siriusxm.
How does that help the rest of the conference?
[Reply]
Page 455 of 726
« First < 355405445451452453454455 456457458459465505555 > Last »
Up