ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 450 of 726
« First < 350400440446447448449450 451452453454460500550 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Pants 08:55 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Wickedson:
Plenty question the move. Remember there are only like 8 MU fans that consistently post in this thread on Chiefsplanet.

In real life there may be close to 800 MU fans out there.
:-)
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:21 PM 10-24-2011
Plenty question the move. Remember there are only like 8 MU fans that consistently post in this thread on Chiefsplanet.

In real life there may be close to 800 MU fans out there.
The most fun for me is watching people like you whine, bitch, moan and rant.

And just because we don't post it here doesn't mean we don't question whether a move is right for MU. We just find it more entertaining to play "kick the cat" with guys like you and pissing you off by screaming for a move to a real conference, not one where we have to kiss the a$$ of OU and Texas.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:25 PM 10-24-2011
Deaton may have let some info slip on KOMU tonight.
[Reply]
kcfan82 09:26 PM 10-24-2011
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I was holding out hope that if the conference apocalypse happened KU, MU, KSU (and another) would end up in the Big 10.

Lots of long time rivalries I don't want to lose.

Not to mention, KU, KSU, and MU would help the B1G not get embarrased in the ACC/B!G challenge.
[Reply]
Saul Good 09:27 PM 10-24-2011
Brady Deaton: "I think the Big XII is making moves that are best for the Big XII, and I wish them the best".
[Reply]
Bambi 09:31 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
The most fun for me is watching people like you whine, bitch, moan and rant.

And just because we don't post it here doesn't mean we don't question whether a move is right for MU. We just find it more entertaining to play "kick the cat" with guys like you and pissing you off by screaming for a move to a real conference, not one where we have to kiss the a$$ of OU and Texas.
Who's mad?

I'm confused.

I thought I was the happy one licking the Texas ballsack and MU fans were angry.

Can't have it both ways dude.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:34 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by kcfan82:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I was holding out hope that if the conference apocalypse happened KU, MU, KSU (and another) would end up in the Big 10.

Lots of long time rivalries I don't want to lose.

Not to mention, KU, KSU, and MU would help the B1G not get embarrased in the ACC/B!G challenge.
If you talk to people who are B1G fans they believe they don't need anyone else. They are waiting for Notre Dame to cave in and join them and then they will have their closed Fraternity. If they were generous they might let in someone like Rutgers, but have no need for it.

There's virtually no chance that MU, KU and KSU will be in the B1G together unless something drastic happens.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:36 PM 10-24-2011
Who's mad?

I'm confused.I thought I was the happy one licking the Texas ballsack and MU fans were angry.

Can't have it both ways dude.
The part that is most important to realize is the bolded part...you've been confused this whole thread.
[Reply]
Jerm 09:38 PM 10-24-2011
If you read the full KOMU article with Deaton's quotes...it's CLEAR Mizzou is leaving, just a matter of time.
[Reply]
kcfan82 09:41 PM 10-24-2011
If you talk to people who are B1G fans they believe they don't need anyone else. They are waiting for Notre Dame to cave in and join them and then they will have their closed Fraternity. If they were generous they might let in someone like Rutgers, but have no need for it.

There's virtually no chance that MU, KU and KSU will be in the B1G together unless something drastic happens.
From what I've heard, the B1G and Notre Dame have bad blood now and Notre Dame isn't welcome, (and vice versa) hence the Notre Dame to the ACC talk.

If the B1G is forced to keep up with the Joneses then KU, KSU, and MU are the best fit in my mind. F Rutgers, and the other northeastern schools that really don't give that much of a sh*t about college sports.

I'm just saying that those are the 3 schools I'd like to have if it goes tumbling down.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:49 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by kcfan82:
From what I've heard, the B1G and Notre Dame have bad blood now and Notre Dame isn't welcome, (and vice versa) hence the Notre Dame to the ACC talk.

If the B1G is forced to keep up with the Joneses then KU, KSU, and MU are the best fit in my mind. F Rutgers, and the other northeastern schools that really don't give that much of a sh*t about college sports.

I'm just saying that those are the 3 schools I'd like to have if it goes tumbling down.
Do you really think that if ND comes calling to the B1G that they won't welcome them with open arms?

There's too much money involved to not have them there. ND will decide where they want to go, (ACC or B1G) and whomever they pick will gladly accept them.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:50 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Jerm:
If you read the full KOMU article with Deaton's quotes...it's CLEAR Mizzou is leaving, just a matter of time.
You have a link to the article?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:53 PM 10-24-2011
Deaton's comments:
Originally Posted by :
Deaton wishes the Big 12 "the best, and all of that"

BY VAHE GREGORIAN • vgregorian@post-dispatch.com > 314-340-8199 |

Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 7:41 pm

COLUMBIA, MO. - On Friday, Missouri took further audacious steps to set up a departure from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference when the system Board of Curators authorized chancellor Brady Deaton to take action and negotiate contracts regarding conference alignment and Deaton leaped so far out on a limb as to acknowledge an exchange of information with the SEC.

With SEC-bound Texas A&M next up on MU's football schedule and a Big 12 Board of Directors meeting scheduled Monday in Dallas, the timing seemed right for the next logical step:

For Deaton to proclaim at least a conditional withdrawal from the Big 12.

But following the Big 12 meeting, there was only this statement from the Big 12:

"In a regularly-scheduled meeting today at an undisclosed Dallas area location, the Big 12 Conference Board of Directors reaffirmed previous action to execute institutional grants of Tier 1 (over-the-air) and Tier 2 (cable) television rights to the Conference.

"The Board also discussed a wide range of topics, including NCAA legislation, the Bowl Championship Series, and exploration of a conference-dedicated TV network. Additionally, a strong desire for the University of Missouri to maintain its Big 12 affiliation was expressed."

The desire for MU to stay didn't seem reciprocated, though.

At Columbia Regional Airport late Monday, Deaton told KOMU TV in Columbia that there are "no delays here at all. There are some very specific things that have to be addressed, and we are addressing those."

He declined to elaborate on specifics, but added, "It's the kind of thing you can't rush. I know fans get impatient. Let me say, I'm very sympathetic, but what I hope they will understand is that it's not a set of issue that one can press a button and be done with it."

He added that the Big 12 is "making some of the right moves, now, that are necessary for the Big 12 to do, and I wish them the best and all of that. So we'll see where that goes."

As for the content of the meeting, perhaps the most apt words came from Twitter sensation Fake Dan Beebe, as in the former Big 12 commissioner who recently resigned:

"THEY'RE DISCUSSING A BIG 12 NETWORK NOW????!?!?"

Perhaps, but apparently not one that would include all 10 schools currently remaining in the lineup, including Texas Christian in place of A&M next year. Texas is not going to give up its Longhorn Network, for starters.

But it's believed there was discussion of bundling the third-tier rights of most of the other schools for equal distribution.

It's not known how that point came about during the meeting, but a source familiar with the dynamics of the conference's last attempts to persuade A&M to stay believed it was likely the meeting included a similar basic question of MU.

What will it take for you to stay?

It's possible the discussion then turned in the direction of third-tier rights, which may or may not have constituted an entirely fresh look at the matter.

Whatever the case, it's highly unlikely that's a game-changer for MU, which by all appearances already has checked out.

Although Deaton said last week there would "continue to be no unnecessary or inappropriate delays" in the decision-making, he also has called the decision a "weighty" one and won't be hasty just to get it out of the way.

Uncertainty about the future of the Big 12 compelled MU to gird itself for the future by considering alternatives, and the SEC has given every indication behind the scenes that it would accept a Missouri application if all potential legal entanglements are removed.

It's not known whether such concerns would include a clash over the timing of MU's departure, which Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas has said won't be for next year.

That was likely a strategic negotiating stance since Big 12 television inventory would fall short of its contractual TV obligations for football if it is only able to field a nine-team conference in 2012.

While the Big 12 figures to restock to 10 and possibly move back to 12 if Mizzou leaves, its prime potential targets - West Virginia, Louisville and Cincinnati - are in the Big East, which is holding Pittsburgh and Syracuse to a 27-month departure time for their next conference, the Atlantic Coast.

So if MU wants to leave for next year but the Big 12 can't replenish itself in time, potential legal conflicts could surface.

Despite Neinas' contention, Deaton said Friday that if MU leaves it would seek to go in 2012.

Deaton stepped down as chairman of the board of the Big 12 earlier this month as he was authorized by the curators to explore options for conference alignment.

When asked Friday what the next step in the process would be, MU board chair Warren Erdman said, "The next step will be resolution of the question."

But perhaps just not as soon as many had expected.

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:55 PM 10-24-2011
You have a link to the article?
http://www.komu.com/news/exclusive-d...ig-12-meeting/
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:14 PM 10-24-2011
Mike DeArmond:
Originally Posted by :
By Mike DeArmond - Posted on 24 October 2011

COLUMBIA – Interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas has told The Star that Missouri did not submit a letter of conditional withdrawal nor did it notify the Big 12 Conference on Monday of its plans to leave.
“The conference encouraged Missouri to stay in the Big 12,” Neinas added, referring to a statement to be released by the league concerning the Big 12 Board of Directors meeting on Monday in Dallas.
When asked if following its release Neinas could be asked for further guidance, Neinas said: “You could, but I won’t give you any.”
But Monday night, in an interview with KOMU-TV, Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton added some perspective, including a statement that he wished the Big 12 “the best and all of that.”
“So we’ll see where that goes,” Deaton added.
The Big 12 release was at best noncommittal:
“In a regularly-scheduled meeting today at an undisclosed Dallas area location, the Big 12 Conference Board of Directors reaffirmed previous action to execute institutional grants of Tier 1 (over-the-air) and Tier 2 (cable) television rights to the Conference.
“The Board also discussed a wide range of topics including NCAA legislation, the Bowl Championship Series, and exploration of a Conference dedicated TV network.
“Additionally, a strong desire for the University of Missouri to maintain its Big 12 affiliation was expressed. All 10 member institutions and TCU participated in the meeting.”
Across Internet message boards poured frustration from Missouri fans anticipating the school would give the Big 12 formal notice of its withdrawal, if not announce its application for membership of the Southeastern Conference.
Some expressed skepticism that the Big 12’s statement was truly reflective of what transpired when Deaton met with his contemporaries at an undisclosed location in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
There was no evidence provided Monday that Missouri had made any move away from the Big 12, despite the Missouri Board of Curators having authorized Deaton last Friday in Kansas City to act as he best saw fit in exploring Mizzou’s options for conference affiliation.
But Deaton said, in the interview with KOMU at Columbia Regional Airport, that there were “no delays here at all.
“It’s the kind of thing you can’t rush. I know fans get impatient.
“Let me say, I’m very sympathetic, but what I hope they will understand is that it’s not a set of issues that one can press a button and be done with.”
Deaton indicated the Big 12 is “making some of the right moves, now, that are necessary for the Big 12 to do, and I wish them the best and all of that.”
If that sounds like the right moves are coming too late to deter Missouri from joining the SEC, well that is a widely-held belief among those who want Missouri to bolt the dysfunctional Big 12.
Meanwhile, in Columbia, a long-time Missouri supporter wondered over the choice Mizzou has still not publicly made between the
Big 12 and the SEC.
“Tiger John” Cleek, like his father before him, “Mizzou Mo” Cleek before him, has sold appliances and home furnishings to the folk living in Columbia and mid-Missouri for decades.
He has been a Missouri fan all his life.
“Truthfully, I had held out hope that the Big 12 could maintain its stability, just because I’ve been for 55 years a Missouri fan,” Cleek said. “That we could keep our traditional rivals.”
But Cleek expressed confidence in Deaton and Missouri athletic director Mike Alden making the decision that might be necessary to send Mizzou’s athletic ship of state into SEC waters.
“Financially we’ve got to make this thing work,” Cleek said. “They’re in position to have the information and the knowledge that those of us here don’t have.
“It’s going to be a very major decision, but when you’ve seen in the last 16 to 18 months where Oklahoma and Texas both just about left.
“My heart says I’d love to stay in the Big 12. But financially and in terms of long-term stability it looks like the SEC would be a real good opportunity for us.”
If Missouri did not immediately jump to cash in on that opportunity on Monday, Cleek seemed not troubled by yet another day going by without a monumental decision being announced.
“I think the chancellor is very much looking out for what is best at the University of Missouri.”
Over the weekend, many MU boosters said privately that a move to the SEC was a foregone conclusion, reflective of nearly a week of local and national media reports.
But what ultimately is decided to be the best for the University of Missouri, for now, remains in public limbo.

[Reply]
Page 450 of 726
« First < 350400440446447448449450 451452453454460500550 > Last »
Up