ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 446 of 726
« First < 346396436442443444445446 447448449450456496546 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
HemiEd 03:26 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
That's not true by the way.
1999, ND and Texas

He also lost consecutive post season games in 2003, K-State and LSU
[Reply]
eazyb81 03:28 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
The top 3 quote that didn't include Mizzou came out after the Arkie visit, and it was from another player, who he met on the recruiting trip to Arkansas for the very first time. I have a hard time seeing a kid as quiet and reserved as DGB talking to a guy he just met about something he won't talk about outside his family.

John Beckham then said it wasn't true, that a top 3 hadn't been named.

Then he visited Mizzou for homecoming.

Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas all offer quite a bit to a kid who wants to be in a passing offense. And I think Jeremy Maclin has had more NFL success than anybody Bobby Petrino has coached (unless I'm forgetting someone)...
You don't think DGB will be impressed by the career of future HOF Harry Douglas?
[Reply]
O.city 03:29 PM 10-24-2011
The top 3 quote that didn't include Mizzou came out after the Arkie visit, and it was from another player, who he met on the recruiting trip to Arkansas for the very first time. I have a hard time seeing a kid as quiet and reserved as DGB talking to a guy he just met about something he won't talk about outside his family.

John Beckham then said it wasn't true, that a top 3 hadn't been named.

Then he visited Mizzou for homecoming.

Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas all offer quite a bit to a kid who wants to be in a passing offense. And I think Jeremy Maclin has had more NFL success than anybody Bobby Petrino has coached (unless I'm forgetting someone)...
Have you watched Arkansas the past two seasons? They have receivers running all over the place and they throw it 50 times a game. Plus with Wilson coming back next year vs. Franklin?

I'm just saying if it was me and I was in his situation, Arkansas offers a better situation next year than Mizzou or Oklahoma.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:35 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by O.city:
Have you watched Arkansas the past two seasons? They have receivers running all over the place and they throw it 50 times a game. Plus with Wilson coming back next year vs. Franklin?

I'm just saying if it was me and I was in his situation, Arkansas offers a better situation next year than Mizzou or Oklahoma.
I'm not saying Arkansas doesn't offer anything, not at all. And I know they have several excellent receivers this season.

Just saying Jeremy Maclin has had a better career and was drafted higher than any of those guys are likely to be. He did OK at Mizzou.

DGB also has been talking quite a bit to Maty Mauk, the QB in Mizzou's class. Mauk has family in Springfield and set up a visit with DGB while he was there to hang out and throw the ball.

Wilson is good, but DGB would only have one year to play with him. And though Franklin has had some struggles this year, he also has put up big-time performances against OU and ASU on primetime, as well as when DGB was there to watch him.

Again, not saying I don't see any allure to Arkansas. Just that Missouri has some allure, too, and it has some advantages as well.
[Reply]
eazyb81 03:36 PM 10-24-2011

Why do you think the decision is being made solely on next year? Arkansas doesn't have anyone behind Tyler Wilson, so who will throw DGB the ball the other two/three years he will be in school?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:36 PM 10-24-2011

And he's probably only looking at a 3-yr college career, so that freshman season is going to be a big one for him.

MU had a lot of momentum in this thing going into the fall, all the way down to Mauk having been observed throwing with DGB a time or two. Too bad this season has been such a crap-fest.

I'd probably head to Arkansas as well, were I DGB. Jones is about to take off, so he may have another 'Franklin' in Oklahoma. And the original article hasn't shown that he has any ability at all to maximize a downfield WRs talents.

If you're only looking to play for 3 years at the collegiate level, Arkansas absolutely looks like the best situation to go into.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:41 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And he's probably only looking at a 3-yr college career, so that freshman season is going to be a big one for him.

MU had a lot of momentum in this thing going into the fall, all the way down to Mauk having been observed throwing with DGB a time or two. Too bad this season has been such a crap-fest.

I'd probably head to Arkansas as well, were I DGB. Jones is about to take off, so he may have another 'Franklin' in Oklahoma. And the original article hasn't shown that he has any ability at all to maximize a downfield WRs talents.

If you're only looking to play for 3 years at the collegiate level, Arkansas absolutely looks like the best situation to go into.
I would disagree a little that it's all about his freshman year... his sophomore and junior years will be very important for his draft position. Probably more important than his freshman year.

He seems pretty comfortable with Maty Mauk, who likely will be throwing him the ball at least his junior year and possibly his sophomore year, too (Hell, Mauk MIGHT be throwing him the ball all three years if he gets here in the spring).
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 03:43 PM 10-24-2011
Jealous, butthurt, ballsack.
[Reply]
O.city 03:44 PM 10-24-2011
I'm not saying Arkansas doesn't offer anything, not at all. And I know they have several excellent receivers this season.

Just saying Jeremy Maclin has had a better career and was drafted higher than any of those guys are likely to be. He did OK at Mizzou.

DGB also has been talking quite a bit to Maty Mauk, the QB in Mizzou's class. Mauk has family in Springfield and set up a visit with DGB while he was there to hang out and throw the ball.

Wilson is good, but DGB would only have one year to play with him. And though Franklin has had some struggles this year, he also has put up big-time performances against OU and ASU on primetime, as well as when DGB was there to watch him.

Again, not saying I don't see any allure to Arkansas. Just that Missouri has some allure, too, and it has some advantages as well.
Like Dj just stated, he's not gonna be anywhere for four years. The guy could probably make the jump after 1 or 2 years. No offense, I consider myself a Mizzou football fan, but looking at the style of offense Mizzou runs vs. Arkansas, I'm picking Arkansas.

Yah Mizzou has alot to offer as well, won't argue with you there. But Mauk may not start until year 3 of DGB. Prob. year 2 but who knows.

Franklin has also absolutely shit the bed against inferior teams this year. Door swings both ways.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:48 PM 10-24-2011
Like Dj just stated, he's not gonna be anywhere for four years. The guy could probably make the jump after 1 or 2 years. No offense, I consider myself a Mizzou football fan, but looking at the style of offense Mizzou runs vs. Arkansas, I'm picking Arkansas.

Yah Mizzou has alot to offer as well, won't argue with you there. But Mauk may not start until year 3 of DGB. Prob. year 2 but who knows.

Franklin has also absolutely shit the bed against inferior teams this year. Door swings both ways.
DGB can't make the jump after 1 or 2 years. He has to play three seasons where ever he goes.

His sophomore and junior seasons will be very, very important to him. Though to be honest, he's such a gifted specimen, it probably doesn't mattter how productive he is in college.
[Reply]
O.city 03:51 PM 10-24-2011
DGB can't make the jump after 1 or 2 years. He has to play three seasons where ever he goes.

His sophomore and junior seasons will be very, very important to him. Though to be honest, he's such a gifted specimen, it probably doesn't mattter how productive he is in college.
I wasn't saying he was gonna go after 1 or 2. Just that he would be ready to make the jump if he could.

I think you are overplaying the whole Mauk situation. It will make some difference, but if it's me I'm picking the best system for my talents. Not what qb could be playing with me 2 or 3 years down the road.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:52 PM 10-24-2011
I would disagree a little that it's all about his freshman year... his sophomore and junior years will be very important for his draft position. Probably more important than his freshman year.

He seems pretty comfortable with Maty Mauk, who likely will be throwing him the ball at least his junior year and possibly his sophomore year, too (Hell, Mauk MIGHT be throwing him the ball all three years if he gets here in the spring).
Pinkel should just offer to make Mauk the starter if DGB will sign on the dotted line...

I think he can springboard himself to a Megatron type draft position if he comes in and rocks the world as a freshman. Then he'll get some slack for his 'sophomore slump' under a new quarterback the following year, and he'll be primed for that big junior season w/ a quarterback in his 2nd year as a starter (throwing to a nice big target).

I understand that there are a lot of plusses for Mizzou as well (Mauk being the most apparent), but if I'm him, I look at the season Mizzou has had and wonder if they haven't peaked for the next few years, especially w/ the move to the SEC.
[Reply]
O.city 03:57 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Pinkel should just offer to make Mauk the starter if DGB will sign on the dotted line...

I think he can springboard himself to a Megatron type draft position if he comes in and rocks the world as a freshman. Then he'll get some slack for his 'sophomore slump' under a new quarterback the following year, and he'll be primed for that big junior season w/ a quarterback in his 2nd year as a starter (throwing to a nice big target).

I understand that there are a lot of plusses for Mizzou as well (Mauk being the most apparent), but if I'm him, I look at the season Mizzou has had and wonder if they haven't peaked for the next few years, especially w/ the move to the SEC.
This.

I think it will hurt MIz alot with the year they are having. Especially if LSU beats Alabama, then Arkansas runs the table and beats LSU on Thanksgiving weekend in Baton Rouge. They would prob go on to win the SEC and get a BCS bowl.

Which looks more impressive, a BCS bowl or the Holliday Bowl?

Not a knock on Mizzou, their last three qb's are in the NFL and MIzzou fans havnen't realized what they had.
[Reply]
Los Pollos Hermanos 04:02 PM 10-24-2011
Is there not a MIZZOU football thread where this boring conversation could be taking place?
[Reply]
HemiEd 04:05 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas:
Is there not a MIZZOU football thread where this boring conversation could be taking place?
Oh this thread has always been about Mizzou, didn't you know?
[Reply]
Page 446 of 726
« First < 346396436442443444445446 447448449450456496546 > Last »
Up