ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 445 of 727
« First < 345395435441442443444445 446447448449455495545 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:46 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:
I'm going to be surprised if Franklin is behind center next season.
I haven't seen Berkstresser play much, but I have a hard time seeing him beat out Franklin. Mauk would have to enroll in January, learn the playbook, learn how to run the zone read (his HS is five-wide all game long) and adjust to the huge jump in competition.

I think Franklin's the guy again next year, unless Berk takes it from him.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:50 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
butthurt!
:-)

OK, man. If that's your definition of garbage-time TD - that any TD scored inside 10 minutes of a two-possession game is garbage time - then that's cool.

You're wrong about what garbage time is, but that's your right.

Good luck against OU.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:53 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
:-)

OK, man. If that's your definition of garbage-time TD - that any TD scored inside 10 minutes of a two-possession game is garbage time - then that's cool.

You're wrong about what garbage time is, but that's your right.

Good luck against OU.
I suppose it's a stretch to call it garbage time, but KSU basically started playing prevent defense (albeit somewhat poorly as evidenced by the TDs we gave up). If we continued the same defense we did the rest of the game, you never get back to within a score again.

To me, a score against a prevent D is garbage.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:54 PM 10-24-2011
He's a great kid, too. Really speedy. Eats up ground on DBs, kind of like Danario Alexander, even though it looks like he's jogging.

Offense will look much different next year. Lucas is probably the next guy at the H position (Egnew/Alexander/Maclin/Rucker). I think he'll be pretty explosive there.

I like Washington on the outside at the X. Moe still in the slot (Y). Eric Waters at the Z (Blocking heavy, short-routes. What Coffman played when on the field with Rucker/Tommy Saunders' poisition).

And hopefully Dorial Green-Beckham to take one of those positions away from whoever he wants. I know the kid has a friendship with and admiration of Danario Alexander, and I think their strategy is to recruit him to play the H position Danario beasted his senior year.

I'd be cool with that. DGB/Washington/Lucas/Moe would be a nice pairing with Franklin/Josey.
Washington is a guy I look at when I say I'm not worried about Pinkel's ability to re-build recruiting from the SEC.

Washington was probably our 'worst' recruit in 2009. He wasn't highly touted, wasn't highly sought after, just a tall fast kid from Louisiana that looked like an athlete.

3 years later he's looking like he could take the starting role next year from Sasser and Hunt, 2 highly touted members of (arguably) Mizzou's best ever recruiting class.

This staff simply doesn't go chasing Rivals guys. They look for athletes that fit their profile and they coach them to the offense. Guess what? There's a shitload of those athletes in SEC country. There's a bunch of *** guys out there that aren't getting offers from Florida or Georgia that this staff could do a ton with.

Now if they could just take some of those athletes and teach them to play DB.
[Reply]
SPchief 02:56 PM 10-24-2011
basketball!
[Reply]
O.city 02:57 PM 10-24-2011
He's a great kid, too. Really speedy. Eats up ground on DBs, kind of like Danario Alexander, even though it looks like he's jogging.

Offense will look much different next year. Lucas is probably the next guy at the H position (Egnew/Alexander/Maclin/Rucker). I think he'll be pretty explosive there.

I like Washington on the outside at the X. Moe still in the slot (Y). Eric Waters at the Z (Blocking heavy, short-routes. What Coffman played when on the field with Rucker/Tommy Saunders' poisition).

And hopefully Dorial Green-Beckham to take one of those positions away from whoever he wants. I know the kid has a friendship with and admiration of Danario Alexander, and I think their strategy is to recruit him to play the H position Danario beasted his senior year.

I'd be cool with that. DGB/Washington/Lucas/Moe would be a nice pairing with Franklin/Josey.
My wife's brother is really good friends with DGB. Sorry bro, but he isn't making his way to Columbia.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:58 PM 10-24-2011
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAcccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:09 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by O.city:
My wife's brother is really good friends with DGB. Sorry bro, but he isn't making his way to Columbia.
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard something like that since this kid's freshman year of HS, I'd be in pretty good shape...
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 03:09 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Bob Stoops has never lost consecutive regular season games.
That's not true by the way.
[Reply]
O.city 03:11 PM 10-24-2011
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard something like that since this kid's freshman year of HS, I'd be in pretty good shape...
I know I know.

He's going to Arkansas.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:13 PM 10-24-2011
I know I know.

He's going to Arkansas.
Yeah, that's what I keep reading.

I don't anticipate him coming to Columbia.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 03:14 PM 10-24-2011
KK has a new man crush.

Billiy Joe Tolliver - "We didn't even know Missouri played football"
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:15 PM 10-24-2011
I know I know.

He's going to Arkansas.
I'm taking the:

"Not expecting to get him but not believing anything until we hear it from the family/DGB himself" approach.

Losing him to Petrino would be difficult to stomach.
[Reply]
O.city 03:15 PM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, that's what I keep reading.

I don't anticipate him coming to Columbia.
He did make a trip to Columbia for homecoming, but it was then said that MIZ wasn't in his top 5.

The fact that Arkansas runs a prostyle offense and throws the ball all over the place and look at the receivers they will put in the NFL this year. It makes it pretty tough to see him not going to Fayettvile.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:25 PM 10-24-2011
He did make a trip to Columbia for homecoming, but it was then said that MIZ wasn't in his top 5.
The top 3 quote that didn't include Mizzou came out after the Arkie visit, and it was from another player, who he met on the recruiting trip to Arkansas for the very first time. I have a hard time seeing a kid as quiet and reserved as DGB talking to a guy he just met about something he won't talk about outside his family.

John Beckham then said it wasn't true, that a top 3 hadn't been named.

Then he visited Mizzou for homecoming.

Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas all offer quite a bit to a kid who wants to be in a passing offense. And I think Jeremy Maclin has had more NFL success than anybody Bobby Petrino has coached (unless I'm forgetting someone)...
[Reply]
Page 445 of 727
« First < 345395435441442443444445 446447448449455495545 > Last »
Up