ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 43 of 48
« First < 333940414243 44454647 > Last »
Media Center>Time again for a new phone
Dartgod 08:28 PM 07-14-2013
So I'm eligible to upgrade my cell phone again August 1st. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2 through Sprint and was ready to get the S4. Now I see that LG is set to release their Optimus G2 sometime in August.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/09/lg-optimus-g2-leak/

I've never considered LG, but I'm intrigued by what I've read.

Has anyone else looked at this and is it worth waiting another month or so for the LG?

Also, does anyone in the KC area have any experience with Sprint's LTE 4G? Is coverage still spotty?
[Reply]
Bwana 09:21 PM 11-17-2014
Scored an Apple 6 plus today, so far so good. I also ordered a Pelican case for that pig. The last thing I need is it going tits up after a drop. I tend to abuse phones a bit.
[Reply]
kepp 09:26 AM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja:
i need to check my nexus 10 to see if i get the update.

nope, no updates
I got an update notice yesterday afternoon for my Nexus 5. So far I like it, but nothing earth-shattering as far as I can tell.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:30 AM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by kepp:
I got an update notice yesterday afternoon for my Nexus 5. So far I like it, but nothing earth-shattering as far as I can tell.
The only thing I give a damn about with Android L is the supposed 30% increase in battery life.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:55 AM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by jd1020:
The only thing I give a damn about with Android L is the supposed 30% increase in battery life.
If it's there, I haven't noticed on my N5. The only tangible improvement that I've seen is that it's got a battery saving mode that you can have automatically kick in at X% (I've got mine set at 5%) that will kill everything that drains your battery quickly in order to give you as much life toward the end as possible. That's pretty cool.

Aside from that, though, it seems about the same to me.
[Reply]
jd1020 01:33 PM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If it's there, I haven't noticed on my N5. The only tangible improvement that I've seen is that it's got a battery saving mode that you can have automatically kick in at X% (I've got mine set at 5%) that will kill everything that drains your battery quickly in order to give you as much life toward the end as possible. That's pretty cool.

Aside from that, though, it seems about the same to me.
I'd be surprised if my phone got the update anyways. I have an LG G2 and I end the day with around 40% battery with 3 hours of SoT, so I'm not too worried about it.

Beyond the battery, though, I just dont see much appealing about the new version with its animations that appear to come from somewhere... Meh...
[Reply]
DaveNull 01:37 PM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Scored an Apple 6 plus today, so far so good. I also ordered a Pelican case for that pig. The last thing I need is it going tits up after a drop. I tend to abuse phones a bit.
Apple Care+ is my case.
[Reply]
kcxiv 06:36 PM 11-18-2014
Just got the update for my nexus 10. Installing 5 right now.

edit-

Seems as if 5.0 runs ALOT smoother. Other then the splash screen cant see much of a differents in looks. Im sure alot of whats under the hood has changed though.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:02 PM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja:
Just got the update for my nexus 10. Installing 5 right now.

edit-

Seems as if 5.0 runs ALOT smoother. Other then the splash screen cant see much of a differents in looks. Im sure alot of whats under the hood has changed though.
After using it for a week or so, I'd say the most noteworthy changes are:
Aside from those, there are a ton of minor things scattered throughout that you didn't have before. It gives you predictions on how much time you have left on your battery and how much time it will be until you're charged. It's got a redesigned "recent apps" menu that goes back forever (even after reboot). As I mentioned above, it has a battery saver mode that kicks in when you're low. You can use your phone as a flashlight under the drop down menu in quick settings (another third-party feature).

Android OS versions aren't usually completely crazy revisions - they've built so much stuff into apps instead of the OS these days that changes to those are pretty incremental. But Lollipop has a lot of new features that are pretty handy, and I think the look and feel of it is great.
[Reply]
kcxiv 10:22 PM 11-18-2014
ooh i like the PIN apps. Keep folks away from my "pictures folder" haha
[Reply]
MTG#10 04:42 PM 11-19-2014
  • Guest account. If you are gonna give someone your tablet to play with for a while, but don't want them messing up your settings, viewing your bookmarks, etc., you can switch them to a guest account. I don't have much of a need for this, but I can see it as being useful to let someone look stuff up on your tablet or something like that.
This isn't new, I have it on my G3 running 4.4.2
[Reply]
Mojo Rising 05:50 PM 11-19-2014
I just received the OTA. It seems pretty snappy/smooth so far. I had to find a new Gallery app as the new one requires Google+ to be active.

I used to use SMS8 until a couple of months ago when they started running ads. I switched to Hangouts and was using it to see if it would be better with Lollipop. I still don't like it and will donate $3 to SMS8 for the add free version.

Can you change the hotbuttons on the lockscreen? Touchwiz allowed this on my SG3. I would rather have texting be a hotbutton than the phone.

Do I still need Notifyme with the new notifications? What about Lighton for LED notifications?

I read that the powersaving won't be evident until the apps are updated so that they can take advantage of the new powersaving protocols in Lollipop.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 09:25 PM 11-19-2014
After using it for a week or so, I'd say the most noteworthy changes are:
  • Design. I'll mention it since it's the most discussed feature. Apps are all being designed with a consistent set of guidelines for how they look and feel, how animations look, etc. It's all meant to feel very tactical. This is probably underappreciated by the average consumer, but makes a big difference in how easy it is to pick up a new app and figure out what to do.
  • Notifications on the lock screen. You can see and dismiss notifications without having to open your phone and swipe down the top bar to see what they are. You can interact with them just like you can under the top pulldown. This one is REALLY handy.
  • Trusted devices and locations. You can set it so that your PIN (or whatever) isn't required when you're (for example) connected to bluetooth in your car or at home/work.
  • Guest account. If you are gonna give someone your tablet to play with for a while, but don't want them messing up your settings, viewing your bookmarks, etc., you can switch them to a guest account. I don't have much of a need for this, but I can see it as being useful to let someone look stuff up on your tablet or something like that.
  • Pinning apps. Similar purpose to the above, you can "pin" an open app so that it can't be closed without entering your PIN (or whatever). If I had a kid who liked playing Angry Birds, this would be a godsend.
  • Quiet hours. They don't call it this (they call it interruptions), but you can set certain hours of the day when only certain sounds can get through. Honestly, this one is confusing and I hope they improve it, but it serves a function for not wanting to get sounds at night. (Again, this has been around through third-parties for a while now.)
Aside from those, there are a ton of minor things scattered throughout that you didn't have before. It gives you predictions on how much time you have left on your battery and how much time it will be until you're charged. It's got a redesigned "recent apps" menu that goes back forever (even after reboot). As I mentioned above, it has a battery saver mode that kicks in when you're low. You can use your phone as a flashlight under the drop down menu in quick settings (another third-party feature).

Android OS versions aren't usually completely crazy revisions - they've built so much stuff into apps instead of the OS these days that changes to those are pretty incremental. But Lollipop has a lot of new features that are pretty handy, and I think the look and feel of it is great.
All that is available already except a more complete use of material design.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:09 PM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
This isn't new, I have it on my G3 running 4.4.2
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
All that is available already except a more complete use of material design.
Not in stock. Google basically lets the other manufacturers test stuff out. When it gets to be good enough, they integrate it into stock so that everyone has it no matter what manufacturer.
[Reply]
MTG#10 11:17 AM 11-20-2014
Not in stock. Google basically lets the other manufacturers test stuff out. When it gets to be good enough, they integrate it into stock so that everyone has it no matter what manufacturer.
My G3 is stock 4.4.2, never been rooted and I have the guest account option.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:54 AM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
My G3 is stock 4.4.2, never been rooted and I have the guest account option.
That's not stock - that's LG's version. Stock Android is only available on Nexus devices. Everyone else builds theirs on top of that, adding other features they think will differentiate them from the competition.
[Reply]
Page 43 of 48
« First < 333940414243 44454647 > Last »
Up