ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 426 of 469
« First < 326376416422423424425426 427428429430436 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
louie aguiar 03:57 PM 10-06-2022
It doesn’t look like Sherman has any plans to spend big this off-season. I got the impression that they feel like they are a couple years out from contending. Picollo mentioned something like, “well we tried when we signed Santana and Minor and traded for Benintendi but it didn’t work out”

Picollo on if spending more would help the Royals... "There are a lot of teams with high payrolls that aren't going to be playing (in the post-season). I think making good decisions is just as important as spending money."

— Soren Petro (@SorenPetro) October 6, 2022

[Reply]
nychief 04:02 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
It doesn’t look like Sherman has any plans to spend big this off-season. I got the impression that they feel like they are a couple years out from contending. Picollo mentioned something like, “well we tried when we signed Santana and Minor and traded for Benintendi but it didn’t work out”

old boss same as the new boss. you know why those didn't work? They were broken down shitty baseball players that you got on the cheap, instead of competing with actual major league teams for actual major league baseball players. what a joke.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 04:18 PM 10-06-2022

Just depends on whether Picollo is more Dayton Moore or more Bret Veach. If he's paving a Bret Veach-like path, don't believe a word he says. "We won't spend...". (Meanwhile...the day after free agency begins - "Royals sign...insert this generation's Gil Meche signing).
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:19 PM 10-06-2022
I trust in BJ Cornholio
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:23 PM 10-06-2022
Right on cue, people bitching about the payroll already. We will never be a top spender in this league.
[Reply]
tk13 04:56 PM 10-06-2022
That's not even baseball these days, good teams develop their key players, even the Dodgers or Yankees have a mostly homegrown team.

If you want to go to the analytics route this team is going to be run like Cleveland and Tampa Bay. If you wanted something else we should have kept Dayton. He always acted like he was poor but he spent plenty of money on guys like Gil Meche, Kennedy, etc... most of them didn't work out compared to the budget signings like Kendrys Morales. But Dayton was the type of GM who put a lot value in the "emotional" boost of signing free agents and keeping players that fans loved. Given Sherman's comments I'm guessing this team is going to be run ruthlessly with absolutely no regard to what the fans want and more toward where the numbers say the value is.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:00 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by tk13:
That's not even baseball these days, good teams develop their key players, even the Dodgers or Yankees have a mostly homegrown team.

If you want to go to the analytics route this team is going to be run like Cleveland and Tampa Bay. If you wanted something else we should have kept Dayton. He always acted like he was poor but he spent plenty of money on guys like Gil Meche, Kennedy, etc... most of them didn't work out compared to the budget signings like Kendrys Morales. But Dayton was the type of GM who put a lot value in the "emotional" boost of signing free agents and keeping players that fans loved. Given Sherman's comments I'm guessing this team is going to be run ruthlessly with absolutely no regard to what the fans want and more toward where the numbers say the value is.
That's the way to do it and I tell ya what, Im here for it.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 05:01 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The issue the Royals may have is the White Sox and Rangers jobs are open, those teams spend more money and in the White Sox case have more talent.

Some of these guys may prefer those jobs.
Maybe. But both of those jobs have some interesting issues. Rangers will spend, but most of their spending happened last year. I doubt they're going all in this year with the payroll. They might want a manager to get more out of their current investments prior to any additional spending. The White Sox need their current crop to break out. While their talent is unquestionable, I've not liked the roster make-up of the south-siders since that first year that most of them started playing together. That roster screams classic-and-always underachievers. I would think that would be a hot mess for a prospective manager.
[Reply]
tk13 05:13 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
That's the way to do it and I tell ya what, Im here for it.
Maybe it won't be that brutal, but I think of Joe Maddon's comments a couple weeks ago. He's a guy who was considered one of the first managers to really go in on analytics, and now he's saying it's gone too far and some people are wondering if he's out of touch. That's how far it's come but that's baseball now. You do what the numbers say, don't spend money unless you're absolutely sure about a guy and you trade your good players for prospects to keep yourself afloat.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 05:26 PM 10-06-2022
Didn't know he was that good of a friend with Dale Earnhardt. Not much of a NASCAR fan but this came up in my Youtube feed.

[Reply]
cosmo20002 05:30 PM 10-06-2022

They're not going to spend big on a team that just lost 97 games. They won't do any meaningful spending until it's shown the team can actually contend.
[Reply]
poolboy 05:37 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
They're not going to spend big on a team that just lost 97 games. They won't do any meaningful spending until it's shown the team can actually contend.
How about making good decisions on spending money?
gotta spend to improve unless you want the same ol same ol
[Reply]
dlphg9 05:37 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Which is how it should be.

We should absolutely not sign any hitters, because the young guys need all the playing time they can.get.

So that leaves pitchers and if Picollo and Sherman think a revamped pitching development system will help, then all we need to do is get a relief pitcher or 2 and a starter.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 05:50 PM 10-06-2022
Originally Posted by poolboy:
How about making good decisions on spending money?
gotta spend to improve unless you want the same ol same ol
Just saying that's not how it works...teams, especially small market/low TV revenue teams, improve with drafts and the farm system.
No one is spending big money to get to .500. Get to .500+, then spend.
[Reply]
poolboy 06:02 PM 10-06-2022
so who is left in the system to get us to 500?
totally not talking about big money, just smart acquisitions
we got singer and bumpkus next season
[Reply]
Page 426 of 469
« First < 326376416422423424425426 427428429430436 > Last »
Up