ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Media Center>Cry Macho! A story of being lost and then found.
Mennonite 09:11 AM 09-19-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I love Unforgiven and think it's the best western ever made, but it does have one serious plot issue. Why did the whores put out a bounty on Davey, the second cowboy? It made no sense. He had nothing to do with the stabbing, obviously didn't know the stabbing was going to happen, was in the next room when the attack started, and tried, along with the other hookers, to subdue Quick Mike. Yet he got judged and ultimately killed for it as if he'd been a participant. You'd think at some point he'd stand up and say "hey, I didn't have shit to do with any of this." But he never did.

That was ****ed up.

That's a good point. It reminds me of something that I always wondered about Lonesome Dove - did Jake Spoon deserve to be hanged? Spoon wasn't a cold blooded killer and he didn't encourage or condone Dan and his buddies slaughtering the sodbusters, but he didn't do anything to stop it. Granted, despite his bluster he wasn't really a brave man and was genuinely convinced that he would be killed if he tried to stop the others. Was he morally obligated to do something even at the cost of his own life? Gus and Woodrow obviously thought so.

Compare that to Davey in Unforgiven. Now he might not have known that Quick Mike was a psycho when they went to the whorehouse, but he did by the time they left. And yet he was still willing to stick with him. Is there such a thing as guilt by association? Sometimes I think there is.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:36 AM 09-19-2021
Jake was a tough call, but I’d be inclined to let him live

Davey should’ve been off the hook when he gave Delilah his finest horse, without being ordered to by Little Bill
[Reply]
Mennonite 06:07 PM 09-18-2021
That makes sense.
[Reply]
srvy 10:53 AM 09-19-2021
When you're talking about all of Clint's other movies It speaks volumes about Cry Macho.

I think everyone was expecting a Gran Torino ending. Instead, we got a tired old cowboy just wanting to fade into the sunset.

I didn't hate it as I realize Clint at 91 wouldn't be believable in tough guy part, but a beat down old cowboy just wanting to do some good in his ending days he can do. Three out of five stars and I will fondly remember his prime.
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:14 PM 09-19-2021
Have to agree with Camaro... worst movie he has made. I fucking love Clint and hate it because I suspect this will be his last movie. I almost felt embarrassed watching some of those scenes. They were just bad.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:58 PM 09-19-2021
Remove the Eastwood nostalgia lens and Cry Macho is a belly laugher.

Doesn't alter his legend but as a stand alone movie, woof.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:27 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Remove the Eastwood nostalgia lens and Cry Macho is a belly laugher.

Doesn't alter his legend but as a stand alone movie, woof.

On a related note, Gran Torino is the worst movie I've ever paid to watch and I am constantly amazed at the number of people who like it. I can only chalk it up to the "Eastwood nostalgia lens" that you mention.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:19 AM 09-23-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
On a related note, Gran Torino is the worst movie I've ever paid to watch and I am constantly amazed at the number of people who like it. I can only chalk it up to the "Eastwood nostalgia lens" that you mention.
:-)
[Reply]
Frazod 10:51 AM 09-23-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Seriously? It wasn't on par with his earlier stuff, but I enjoyed it. Of course, the best part is the GET OFF MY LAWN memes and GIFs it produced. :-)

As for the new movie, the trailer generated exactly zero interest for me. No desire to see it whatsoever. If it is indeed his swan song, oh well. God knows I've seen plenty of his films.
[Reply]
poolboy 08:40 PM 09-22-2021
Clint didnt want to act in some of those but couldnt find anyone else
on another note... Dwight yoakum sucks in this one
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:17 AM 09-23-2021
Anybody here watch Rawhide? It's no Gunsmoke but there are some good episodes. I wasn't crazy about the lead actor but I (usually) enjoyed the Rowdy Yates (Clint Eastwood) episodes.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up