ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The Raiders are sticking with Pierce as their HC
staylor26 03:13 PM 01-19-2024

Raiders are working to finalize a deal to hire Antonio Pierce as their head coach, per sources.

Raiders made Pierce their interim HC on Halloween night and now are closing in on making it a full-time job. Players who campaigned for Pierce soon are expected to be happy. pic.twitter.com/OAJTur9ZJ0

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 19, 2024

[Reply]
BossChief 06:12 PM 01-19-2024
Damn. I was kinda hoping they would go with a retread.

At least they didn’t get Vrabel.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 06:18 PM 01-19-2024
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
Well that's the thing, he's proven he can win games with absolute dogshit at QB.

They'll get a decent one, and they'll be a threat.
Decent does not equal theat.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:19 PM 01-19-2024
Huge mistake. RIP Raiders
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:30 PM 01-19-2024
If I'm a Raider fan, this is the right move and I'm happy

Yeah it was uneven in 23, but they definitely seemed to respond to him... the effort was there
[Reply]
backinblack 06:34 PM 01-19-2024
Mark swung and missed hard with the last two hires, so I'm cool with him going for second base on this one. It's undeniable the team played better under him once we kicked McDipshit to the curb. Sure the team still has problems particularly on offense, but we also are going in the right direction and have decent draft capital and cap money, unlike Denver and the Chargers, who are both entering cap hell.

Next year should be fun
[Reply]
backinblack 06:36 PM 01-19-2024
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Ugh. I hate that fucker. He's a modern day Ben Davidson.
I'm glad opposing teams fans hate him, makes my recent purchase of one of his jerseys worth it :-)
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:04 PM 01-19-2024
Originally Posted by Kiimo:
You aren't wrong there.

It's like, sure you can rally your troops to turn around a season, but can you plan your own season? Can you adjust to when teams scheme against you with preparation?

It's kind of like the Shaka Smarts of the world who make a deep tournament run and then get a big contract and spend years disappointing after that.
Guys who go from position coach to head coach (while skipping the coordinator step) often have trouble with that sort of thing. And even most of the coordinators have difficulty figuring out how to operate, plan, and coach a team during the offseason as effectively as possible. You can't win a Super Bowl during the offseason but you sure can royally fuck up your chances during it.

Kind of funny that the most notable exception to this position coach rule is... Andy Reid.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:25 PM 01-19-2024
I bet they couldn't replace him because no one wanted to see him sobbing in a fetal position on the floor of Mark Davis' office. He really wanted that job.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 07:27 PM 01-19-2024
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers:
If I'm a Raider fan, this is the right move and I'm happy

Yeah it was uneven in 23, but they definitely seemed to respond to him... the effort was there
They beat the Giants, Jets, Chargers (with Easton Stick), Denver (with Stidham)… and a Chiefs team that played less than inspired football on Christmas Day.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:28 PM 01-19-2024
Originally Posted by backinblack:
I'm glad opposing teams fans hate him, makes my recent purchase of one of his jerseys worth it :-)
The two of you should get together and watch the Chiefs on TV in the playoffs. :-)
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 07:44 PM 01-19-2024
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Probably the right move. Get them a QB and they can cause some trouble.
I know that I may be crazy, but I thought O'Connell showed flashes, and seemed to get better every week.

Honestly, sure, if they can land a marquee QB, do it, but if I was Pierce, I would look for a good QB coach, and and a new OC who can help O'Connell keep improving.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 07:58 PM 01-19-2024

[Reply]
notorious 08:11 PM 01-19-2024
Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut:
Josh Dubow
@JoshDubowAP
Record of interim coaches since 2000 who kept job:
Jason Garrett 80-64, 3 playoffs
Mike Mularkey 18-14, 1 playoff
Doug Marrone 22-42, 1 playoff
Leslie Frazier 18-29-1, 1 playoff
Tom Cable 13-19
Mike Singletary 13-18
Dick LeBeau 8-24
Dave McGinnis 16-32
Romeo Crennel 2-14

Josh Dubow
@JoshDubowAP
Add Mike Tice 32-32, 1 playoff to this list

Yup. Mark got bullied by his players. It won't work.
:-)

Didn't Mike Singletary drop his pants in front of his team? :-)
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:15 PM 01-19-2024
Lost to Minnesota 3-0.

Lost to the Colts in a game with actual pressure to stay alive in the playoff race.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:15 PM 01-19-2024
Who were they going to hire if not him?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up