Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Media Center>90's country music
Demonpenz 03:57 AM 06-06-2024
Watermelon crawl yall
[Reply]
notorious 09:01 PM 06-09-2024
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It was 97.3 and on a good day I could get 98.1. The AM stuff was 1030. I think sometimes I could get 1310, but it was touchy.
Epic old country on 1370 later in the day.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:07 PM 06-09-2024
Originally Posted by notorious:
Epic old country on 1370 later in the day.
Is that the one Bruce Williams was on in the evening? I had trouble finding that one.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:56 AM 06-10-2024
On Garth: There is a certain time period where every thing he did ranged from decent to really good. I could put on his Ropin' The Wind album and still enjoy the whole thing today. I don't care about his politics. I appreciate his influences. It's just enjoyable music that is fun to sing along to.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:03 AM 06-10-2024
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
What’s John Denver? Is that considered country? Specifically Country Roads or whatever that song is called.
Country music isn't just one thing. Music doesn't work like that. Country is folk and gospel and blues, just to name a few.
[Reply]
srvy 11:42 AM 06-10-2024
Originally Posted by Kman34:
61 Country?? It was really repetitive in the 80s and 90s.. ran those songs into the ground..
Paul Harvey at the lunch hour and Charles Grey the roving news fellow. Charles was amazing went to the crime and accident scenes in a car yet still beat the Flyboys to the scoop. I still think the KCPD and KCFD didn't talk to anyone til they spoke with Mr Grey.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:50 PM 06-10-2024
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
You aren't the only one...I have absolutely no use for Shania Twain ever ...or the Dixie Chicks...

Honestly...the more mainstream Garth got the less I enjoyed his music and never really got into Garth-mania.
His peak was INCREDIBLY short for a guy who's still relevant on the scene.

I mean, was Sevens his last truly good album? That means he was a real powerhouse from about 1989 to 1997.

A quarter century and he's still touring on those same 5-6 albums and that's about it.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:51 PM 06-10-2024
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I haven't ever looked into the history of it or a holistic view or anything, but I always blamed Shania Twain. Once she crossed over it all seemed to go to shit. Garth was at least country. Shania went all pop and then the copy cats did too. I can for sure see Garth influences in the sister****ers now that just puke out word salads with some combination of: truck, girl, beer. And those word salad songs definitely blow ass, but chasing pop audiences are the worst IMO.

That's obviously over simplified, and probably it's nobody's "fault". There are just a lot of people in the US that like and will pay for shit music.
Garth didn't ruin country music. His music provided several all-time classics to the canon. If Waylon sang, "Too Much Young (To Feel This Damn Old), people are calling it one of the best ever. Garth's music had some several influenced but he mostly kept it country.

Shania is where it derailed. She was pure pop and it sold well.

I honestly didn't see much of Garth in the Bro-Country singers. His music never dipped into checklist songs. Maybe, American Honky Bar Association, but that was a blue collar anthem.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:52 PM 06-10-2024
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
What’s John Denver? Is that considered country? Specifically Country Roads or whatever that song is called.
He was considered more folk in the 1979s. "Country Roads" has been astroturfed into the country genre.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:53 PM 06-10-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

I mean, was Sevens his last truly good album? That means he was a real powerhouse from about 1989 to 1997.

A quarter century and he's still touring on those same 5-6 albums and that's about it.
His new song, "Rodeo Man" with Ronnie Dunn is a fun jam.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:56 PM 06-10-2024
Originally Posted by Pablo:
I'm just thankful we're in a country renaissance where you can find red-dirt and outlaw and hillbilly type shit if you put in a little work.

Wife has the local pop country station on sometimes and it's ****ing Kane Brown and dude's named Bailey. And Morgan Wallen sucks a fat pair of nuts. **** that guy too.
Amen, brother.

Turnpike Troubadours, Jason Boland, etc. They should be the big stars of the genre.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 09:03 AM 06-11-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

You are right from the country perspective anyway.....he really didn't have the career that George Strait or Alan Jackson have had....guys who have always been at their peak with every album.

People like him so much because of his "aw shucks" personality and some of it his politics too....those same people would never admit that Garth had a meteoric rise and then pretty much leveled out and dipped a bit.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 11:55 AM 06-11-2024
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
You are right from the country perspective anyway.....he really didn't have the career that George Strait or Alan Jackson have had....guys who have always been at their peak with every album.

People like him so much because of his "aw shucks" personality and some of it his politics too....those same people would never admit that Garth had a meteoric rise and then pretty much leveled out and dipped a bit.
I think it tends to be lost on people due to the sheer volume of hits and semi-hits he had in that rather short time. I always find it silly when artists release a greatest hits album fairly early in their careers but man, that Double Live album showed he had the catalog of hits at that time to pull it off.

One has to wonder what would have happened if that Chris grained fiasco hadn’t gone off the rails and the film actually got made making the album make sense if his trajectory would be significantly different today. Maybe not, maybe even if everything went according to plan his fans would have still rejected it. A fun little game of what if anyway.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:33 PM 06-11-2024
Originally Posted by Raiderhater:
I think it tends to be lost on people due to the sheer volume of hits and semi-hits he had in that rather short time. I always find it silly when artists release a greatest hits album fairly early in their careers but man, that Double Live album showed he had the catalog of hits at that time to pull it off.

One has to wonder what would have happened if that Chris grained fiasco hadn’t gone off the rails and the film actually got made making the album make sense if his trajectory would be significantly different today. Maybe not, maybe even if everything went according to plan his fans would have still rejected it. A fun little game of what if anyway.
Crazy thing is, that album still sold two million copies.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 01:01 PM 06-11-2024
Originally Posted by Raiderhater:

I think the Chris fiasco probably hurt him in a couple of ways...

Traditional country fans saw.him trying to cross over into mainstream and pop and that never goes well for any artists.

Second...it was his first time of not having great success with something he put out. It did ok by every other artists standard but not by what his normal standards were.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 01:02 PM 06-11-2024
Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut:
Crazy thing is, that album still sold two million copies.
Compare that to what his normal album sales were.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up