ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 394 of 726
« First < 294344384390391392393394 395396397398404444494 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:38 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Wickedson:
That Baylor coach Kim Mulkey is 100% correct.
Correct about a marriage, just a gushing vag when it comes to business decisions.

I don't give a shit if we never play again. KU needs the game more than Mizzou. We'll have to expand our stadium because 71,000 seats won't be enough. KU's most valuable game is the Border War at Arrowhead. There will be no compelling matchups on their schedule. Hell, they can't fill a 50,000 seat stadium when Oklahoma comes to town.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:41 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
Why do MU fans care whether KU fans care or not? If I was an MU fan I wouldn't really give a fuck whether KU fan was angry or whether he didn't care.

But maybe I'm just different from other people.
Have you read the thread?

We really don't. Or at least I don't. Just like I don't believe Nebraska fans gave a shit about the rest of the IIX fans when they left.

But I'm really damn tired of listening to KK trying to claim objectivity here and then hide behind that 'objectivity' to cloak himself in credibility and blast the University of Missouri. He's not objective, not at all. And if he'd just admit that when he's launching shot across MU's bow, I wouldn't care. But for him to try to claim to be an objective journalist and then absolutely blister Mizzou to a massive audience is completely unacceptable to me.

(And there he goes again "I have no dog in this race, blah blah blah")

And Wickedson, well he's just a yammering douche and it's appropriate to point out when he's being a yammering douche that can't keep his argument straight.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:42 PM 10-20-2011
Kietzman keeps talking about $X million per year lost because of the loss of the Big XII tournament. Last time I checked, it wasn't in KC every year to begin with.
[Reply]
eazyb81 01:43 PM 10-20-2011
Amazingly detailed interview with A&M President Loftin on the inner workings of realignment. It is impossible for anyone to come away from reading this and still think Mizzou started this.

A few interesting nuggets:

- Rumors of UT talking to PAC as early as Fall 2009
- UT was ready to bring it and five other Big 12 schools to the PAC
- Larry Scott actively called A&M on his own in April 2010 to sway them to come to the PAC
- Four Big 12 schools refused to say they were committed to the Big 12 in June 2010
- UT did not even tell the PAC they were starting their own network before Larry Scott had draft invitation letters for the schools

http://www.12thmanfoundation.com/mem...d-article.aspx
[Reply]
Los Pollos Hermanos 01:45 PM 10-20-2011
Why do you guys keep listening?
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:46 PM 10-20-2011
I love Kietzman's idea for the tournament in Wichita. Lots to do in that town. That sure beats P&L.
[Reply]
Pants 01:48 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Have you read the thread?
KK is a troll, who cares what he says? LOL

And yeah, I've read the thread, I see you and a bunch of other MU fans trying to prove how much the KU fans care about MU leaving (be it jealousy or bitterness or what have you).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:48 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Kietzman keeps talking about $X million per year lost because of the loss of the Big XII tournament. Last time I checked, it wasn't in KC every year to begin with.
$20 million/yr.

He is ignoring the massive amount of revenue that will come from the loads of SEC fans hauling themselves to Columbia off-setting part of that.

More critically, he's just ignoring economic reality. The economics of one-shot athletic events are notoriously sketchy. He's claiming that the $20 million that doesn't go into Missouri because of the loss of the IIX tournament will now be gone from Missouri altogether. He just completely ignores that sporting events are fungible luxury goods. Most of the people that would have come to that event were local (as he admitted when he said that 1/2 the crowd was an MU crowd that now won't come). Those same people will simply reallocate their entertainment dollars to the Royals or Chiefs, etc...

The panic over these kinds of losses has proven to be unfounded in the past by numerous economic studies. Most places that have lost events like this have felt it to some degree, but ultimately it's been off-set through other businesses. It may impact an individual business here and there, but the impact it will have on Kansas City is nominal (and the impact it has on Missouri is simply non-existent).

It's just Kietzman trying to drum up more irritability in the area. Grind grind grind that axe, Kevin.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:48 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas:
Why do you guys keep listening?
His tears taste like candy.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 01:48 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Correct about a marriage, just a gushing vag when it comes to business decisions.

I don't give a shit if we never play again. KU needs the game more than Mizzou. We'll have to expand our stadium because 71,000 seats won't be enough. KU's most valuable game is the Border War at Arrowhead. There will be no compelling matchups on their schedule. Hell, they can't fill a 50,000 seat stadium when Oklahoma comes to town.
how are tickets selling for Saturday?
[Reply]
Pants 01:50 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
$20 million/yr.

He is ignoring the massive amount of revenue that will come from the loads of SEC fans hauling themselves to Columbia off-setting part of that.

More critically, he's just ignoring economic reality. The economics of one-shot athletic events are notoriously sketchy. He's claiming that the $20 million that doesn't go into Missouri because of the loss of the IIX tournament will now be gone from Missouri altogether. He just completely ignores that sporting events are fungible luxury goods. Most of the people that would have come to that event were local (as he admitted when he said that 1/2 the crowd was an MU crowd that now won't come). Those same people will simply reallocate their entertainment dollars to the Royals or Chiefs, etc...

The panic over these kinds of losses has proven to be unfounded in the past by numerous economic studies. Most places that have lost events like this have felt it to some degree, but ultimately it's been off-set through other businesses. It may impact an individual business here and there, but the impact it will have on Kansas City is nominal (and the impact it has on Missouri is simply non-existent).

It's just Kietzman trying to drum up more irritability in the area. Grind grind grind that axe, Kevin.
Dude, it's not a question in anyone's mind (the rational ones, anyway) that it's a good move for MU at this point.

There's really no reason for you to justify the move to rival fans to begin with.
[Reply]
eazyb81 01:50 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
how are tickets selling for Saturday?
Expecting close to 70,000. When's the last time that many came to watch the fightin snyders?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:50 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
KK is a troll, who cares what he says? LOL

And yeah, I've read the thread, I see you and a bunch of other MU fans trying to prove how much the KU fans care about MU leaving (be it jealousy or bitterness or what have you).
Present it.

Where have I tried to 'prove' anything, except in response to you fellas making sure to take a shot at Mizzou?

I'm going to continue to defend Mizzou and their decision. And yeah, when you guys can't present a reasoned argument in response to anything, I'm going to point out that your carping comes from little more than sour grapes.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:52 PM 10-20-2011
I did a little digging, and it turns out that The University of Missouri was not established with the expressed purpose of enriching bar owners in Kansas City. I found that interesting.
[Reply]
eazyb81 01:54 PM 10-20-2011
I heard Mizzou going to the SEC caused the housing market to plummet.
[Reply]
Page 394 of 726
« First < 294344384390391392393394 395396397398404444494 > Last »
Up