ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 112
« First < 293536373839 404142434989 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign UDFA Justyn Ross
ShowtimeSBMVP 10:28 AM 05-02-2022

Clemson WR Justyn Ross is signing with the #Chiefs to their 90-man roster, per source.

Ross led the ACC in receiving as a freshman in 2018, ranked fifth nationally with 21.7 YPC and was second in receiving touchdowns. He also stands 6-3, 210 pounds. High quality addition for

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) May 2, 2022

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:56 AM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
And i think the on the field stuff is what caused him to go undrafted. Coupled with the injuries of course.

Even if you watch his Freshman year that really built the hype, there wasn't really a ton of NFL level, "Wow" catches. A lot of plays where he was simply running wide open, un covered.

I mean i hope im wrong. Totally hope i'm wrong. I'm just not sold.
Likewise.

If he'd have popped as an explosive threat on tape, even as a Freshman, and demonstrated that he was at/near those levels when he came back from the neck issue - he'd have been drafted. Hell, he'd have been drafted high. Just look at Jameson Williams.

Instead I think he's a guy who's stock would've fallen as more tape got out on him. He wasn't going to get MORE athletic than he was as a Freshman. And there'd have been more and more examples of him simply not showing burst on tape.

Had he not been injured at all and had a full college career, I think he'd have likely slid into the 3rd/4th rounds as teams started to recognize his athletic limitations more and more. Try as I might, I just cannot see the "this guy was a 1st round talent who we got as a UDFA!" hype that others are tossing out there.

And that's not to say the injuries didn't impact his draft stock - I think they did. But they didn't send him from the 1st round to being undrafted.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:02 AM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Likewise.

If he'd have popped as an explosive threat on tape, even as a Freshman, and demonstrated that he was at/near those levels when he came back from the neck issue - he'd have been drafted. Hell, he'd have been drafted high. Just look at Jameson Williams.

Instead I think he's a guy who's stock would've fallen as more tape got out on him. He wasn't going to get MORE athletic than he was as a Freshman. And there'd have been more and more examples of him simply not showing burst on tape.

Had he not been injured at all and had a full college career, I think he'd have likely slid into the 3rd/4th rounds as teams started to recognize his athletic limitations more and more. Try as I might, I just cannot see the "this guy was a 1st round talent who we got as a UDFA!" hype that others are tossing out there.

And that's not to say the injuries didn't impact his draft stock - I think they did. But they didn't send him from the 1st round to being undrafted.
Yeah, totally agree. Every time i watch his freshman stuff i keep wanting to see MORE from him, thinking maybe i'm missing something.

If we were to pretend there were no injuries and just based everything off his freshman year, i still don't think he'd be a 1st round draft pick.

Yes, i get it CP. That's wildly unpopular and totally flies in the face of everything you've read and heard.

Just my opinion. I don't see elite burst/quickness/speed. I see excellent body control and a smooth, fluid athlete.

Anyway, i'm glad DJ said it and not me. You can take the heat for it now, :-).
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:08 AM 05-27-2022
Likewise.

I think you're right that a healthy Ross with no injuries concerns would have slipped out of the first round.

But looking at what he does well when healthy, I don't see a package that's much different than Drake London, who WAS a top 20 pick. London probably has a little more agility and is an inch or so taller, but the things they bring to the table are similar.

I think whatever role we see Smith-Schuster filling this year is the type of role Ross could fill when he moves on.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:22 AM 05-27-2022
Anyway, i'm glad DJ said it and not me. You can take the heat for it now, :-).
The amount of shit I'll take from this draft for merely not LOVING some of these guys is going to be pretty monumental anyway. So just throw it on the pile...
[Reply]
JPH83 10:27 AM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think you're right that a healthy Ross with no injuries concerns would have slipped out of the first round.

But looking at what he does well when healthy, I don't see a package that's much different than Drake London, who WAS a top 20 pick. London probably has a little more agility and is an inch or so taller, but the things they bring to the table are similar.

I think whatever role we see Smith-Schuster filling this year is the type of role Ross could fill when he moves on.
I also don't think he's massively different pre-injuries to Pickens. Less explosive for sure, but not wildly so. They both win at the catch point and catch absolutely everything near them. He might not have been a 1st RD pick but if he'd continued his college production I think he would've been late 2nd, early 3rd at least. That doesn't mean I think he'd make it, I don't know those limited athletic types work out often.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:31 AM 05-27-2022
The amount of shit I'll take from this draft for merely not LOVING some of these guys is going to be pretty monumental anyway. So just throw it on the pile...

Eh, it wasn’t just lukewarm reactions to the picks. You were doing a bit of hating on a few of these draft picks.

Just a bit, though. You didn’t implode with anger or anything. Just… yeah, your Skyy Moore reaction was more hatery than “Meh not the best but could have been worse”

It’s cool. We’ve all had shitty reactions on draft day. Whatevs.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 10:34 AM 05-27-2022
AJ Green was a substantially better athlete than even a pre-injury Ross. I think people are overestimating at this point the impact the injury(s) had on his athleticism. He wasn't an athletic freak even before he got hurt.

I almost wonder if a taller JJSS isn't what the best case scenario for him might be.

Ross just isn't terribly fast or terribly explosive. Like SS, he's smooth and has good body control. He has good hands. He wins on contested balls and at the catch point more often than he wins through creating space. And when he creates space, it's through some technical 'win' rather than raw athleticism.

Honestly he may just end up being what we hoped Gordon could be. A 3rd down and red zone possession option. And that would be a heck of a find as a UDFA.
On the radio, someone mentioned that his ceiling might be Herman Moore if he can stay healthy. If you squint with red-shaded glasses on, I can maybe see Herman Moore.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:39 AM 05-27-2022
Honestly, Ross is a lot like Tee Higgins.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:02 AM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Eh, it wasn’t just lukewarm reactions to the picks. You were doing a bit of hating on a few of these draft picks.

Just a bit, though. You didn’t implode with anger or anything. Just… yeah, your Skyy Moore reaction was more hatery than “Meh not the best but could have been worse”

It’s cool. We’ve all had shitty reactions on draft day. Whatevs.
Cook is the one that I'm willing to eat the most shit on. It's the pick I genuinely do not like. And if he turns out to be a dynamic starter for us then I definitely have to own that. I think I called him a 4th round version of Jonathan Abram. That could easily age like milk.

I called Moore a 3rd rounder who I expect will be a productive slot receiver and fit our system well. I simply don't see him as a #1 guy.
[Reply]
O.city 11:37 AM 05-27-2022
It's strange to me how often I hear that the Chiefs are 'conservative' with their injury evaluations yet they were one of the few teams that cleared Smith and Ross.

I mean...how 'conservative' can they really be in that case?

But unlike you, I'm more worried about the on the field stuff than the injuries. If he can't play, he can't play - who cares? He didn't cost anything. But if he's cleared, I'm still not absolutely convinced he's an NFL WR. He's just so lacking in explosion. Even the plays we seem him make aren't plays where he's creating space. He's making acrobatic catches on jump balls and such.

I just don't know how well he'll work in a WCO.
I mean more in terms of what I think will sink him, I think it's more likely it's injuries than ability. Not that I think his ability is some freak type ability, just that injured guys get injured.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:19 PM 05-27-2022
I said I didn't love the Cook pick and that was enough to have me running for cover. CP rewards the eternal optimist.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:33 PM 05-27-2022
It's a nice story...but even the Chiefs and every other team with a 7th round pick passed on him. If there was ever a opportunity to take a flier on/secure an injured player...that was it. No one did...

Considering the early run on WRs and the price they command...Detroit even moved up to take an ACL casualty.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:41 PM 05-27-2022
Just my opinion. I don't see elite burst/quickness/speed. I see excellent body control and a smooth, fluid athlete.
If he turns into a B list Michael Thomas, I won't complain
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:10 PM 05-27-2022
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
If he turns into a B list Michael Thomas, I won't complain
B-list Michael Thomas starts to sound like Demarcus Robinson.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:14 PM 05-27-2022
B-list Michael Thomas starts to sound like Demarcus Robinson.
If he’s an upgraded version of Demarcus that knows how to run forward, he will be a welcome addition to the offense at no investment.

Honestly, that’s what everyone’s realistic expectant should be for Justyn.
[Reply]
Page 39 of 112
« First < 293536373839 404142434989 > Last »
Up