ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 381 of 469
« First < 281331371377378379380381 382383384385391431 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 01-01-2022
For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:09 PM 09-09-2022
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
So I'm to understand you're the most insightful baseball guy on this website, and perhaps you are, but...."the future is hard to predict" hardly qualifies as amazing analysis. I'll keep an eye out for more substantive posts you might make in the future.
I didn't say it's "too hard to predict."

I said there are a lot of variables that lead to the extremely wide range of outcomes.

Whit Merrifield shouldn't have been as successful a player as he was, based on his tools. He enhanced his body and far out-produced expectations.

Could a scout have predicted he'd find a way to put on 25 pounds of muscle?

Things like that make it fun. And are why scouts tend to speak in "Ifs" a lot.
[Reply]
poolboy 03:15 PM 09-09-2022
I mean BWJ was about as sure fire as you can get
Its usually not that easy when you figure in development, work ethic and coaching
Royals first round picks are notoriously crap shoots
But thats what makes it fun to discuss, I guess
if you call a guy a ten time allstar after watching three games and he is...your a genius
if he isnt nobody remembers...Bubba was pretty well regarded and thats the downside
its easy to cherry pic after the fact
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:20 PM 09-09-2022
So I'm to understand you're the most insightful baseball guy on this website, and perhaps you are, but...."the future is hard to predict" hardly qualifies as amazing analysis. I'll keep an eye out for more substantive posts you might make in the future.
:-) what?

The fact that there has only been 3 number 1 overall picks that have made the HOF is proof that projecting these guys' careers is really fucking hard.
[Reply]
myselff77 03:25 PM 09-09-2022
Scout VK checking in here with some answers:

Pasquantino: Stud in the making, but hurting his shoulder swinging is a very bad sign.
Pratto: bust in the making. It happens.
Singer: SP2/SP3 in the making
Bubic: Already a bust. Probably couldn't get outs in Japan, or probably Korea
Lynch: See Bubic
Kowar: See Lynch
Massey: more likely than not to be a solid everyday player
Witt Jr.: Not quite the superstar most hoped for, but very good. Adley is far better, but Witt is a legit 30/30 guy. It's just gonna be with a .240 average and a .320 OBP with him.
Melendez: Stud. Could end up better than Pasquantino given he hasn't put himself on the IL by swinging.
Isbel: not gonna happen, unfortunately. Nice speed/power combo on paper but nah.
Cross: too early to tell. No opinion.
Drew Waters: nope

In 2 or 3 years, I am going to link back to this very post as proof that I had my finger absolutely on the pulse of the Royal organization.
Won't argue with this analysis. The only question is, will a major coaching/philosophy shift improve any of the pitchers?
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:26 PM 09-09-2022
Originally Posted by poolboy:
I mean BWJ was about as sure fire as you can get
Its usually not that easy when you figure in development, work ethic and coaching
Royals first round picks are notoriously crap shoots
But thats what makes it fun to discuss, I guess
if you call a guy a ten time allstar after watching three games and he is...your a genius
if he isnt nobody remembers...Bubba was pretty well regarded and thats the downside
its easy to cherry pic after the fact
On top of coaching, work ethic, and development you have to take into account injury or a mental health issue. Both of those things can derail a career.

These guys are playing the best of the best and if they lose just a tiny amount of talent or have one little thing go off balance, then they can go from all star talent to AAAA guy.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 03:35 PM 09-09-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I didn't say it's "too hard to predict."

I said there are a lot of variables that lead to the extremely wide range of outcomes.

Whit Merrifield shouldn't have been as successful a player as he was, based on his tools. He enhanced his body and far out-produced expectations.

Could a scout have predicted he'd find a way to put on 25 pounds of muscle?

Things like that make it fun. And are why scouts tend to speak in "Ifs" a lot.
Have you ever thought about becoming a phd in economics, Duncan? You could write books about how the stock market is volatile and it's hard to decide which stocks will rise and which will fall. Could get you a nobel prize! All you have to do is transfer your baseball wisdom to the realm of economics.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:42 PM 09-09-2022
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...fensive-shifts

Huge news about the banning of the shift. Also the potential and likelihood of robot umps at least for balls and strikes would lead us to these conclusions.

1. Groundball hitters are going to see the biggest benefit. You no longer can just be in the right place at the right time. Guys on the Royals who have high GB rates: Nicky Lopez 54% (lol), Ryan OHearn 46% (alot of hard GB contact), Kyle Isbel, Dozier, Pasquantino. Guys who have low GB rates: Nick Pratto 33% (lowest on team of more than 100 AB), Witt Jr.

Basically guys that have high hard contact rates and high GB rates are the best candidates to improve. These players would be Pasquantino, Melendez, Perez, Isbel and OHearn. Nobody is going to want to hear this but guys who have a relatively high FB and lower GB % combined with a low or medium hard hit % won't benefit from the shift ban AS MUCH which are Pratto, Witt Jr. And with Nicky Lopez its just a wash. He's lowest of the low in hard contact and highest of thr high on ground ball percentage.

2. Robot umps will favor guys with low chase rates because if there is anything we know about human umps is they call TOO MANY strikes. Robot umps don't care if a pitch is CLOSE enough on two strikes or if its a blowout and they are more inclined to call strikes. Guys with the lowest chase rates will benefit the most. Those guys on the Royals are: Nick Pratto, MJ Melendez, Vinny Pasquantino.

3. Athletic guys will also have more value. Teams and defenders will rely less on positioning and metrics and more on range. Athleticism at 2B and SS is going to be more important than ever since teams started shifting. I would have to think this favors guys like Witt Jr and Mondesi.

4. Pitch framing will be non-existent with robot umps. And our catchers are dogshit at pitch framing. This will be good for both Perez and Melendez.

In conclusion, the players who should benefit the most from these changes in my opinion and in order: MJ Melendez, Vinny Pasquantino, Ryan OHearn, Salvador Perez, Isbel.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 03:55 PM 09-09-2022
Bill James just had some comments about the shift...here's the 1st tweet in the exchange. He says it causes a 4-5 point net decrease in batting average.

@GreekGodOfHops You asked in a recent broadcast ho many balls go through BECAUSE of this shift, vs. those lost to the shift. According to the Bill James Handbook 2022, in 2021 there were 4,802 hits taken away by the shift, but 3,946 balls that went through BECAUSE of the Shift.

— Bill James Online (@billjamesonline) August 22, 2022

[Reply]
nychief 04:03 PM 09-09-2022
Banning the shift might save Ryan O’Hearn’s career. I just hope it’s not with us.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:06 PM 09-09-2022
Scout VK checking in here with some answers:

Pasquantino: Stud in the making, but hurting his shoulder swinging is a very bad sign.
Pratto: bust in the making. It happens.
Singer: SP2/SP3 in the making
Bubic: Already a bust. Probably couldn't get outs in Japan, or probably Korea
Lynch: See Bubic
Kowar: See Lynch
Massey: more likely than not to be a solid everyday player
Witt Jr.: Not quite the superstar most hoped for, but very good. Adley is far better, but Witt is a legit 30/30 guy. It's just gonna be with a .240 average and a .320 OBP with him.
Melendez: Stud. Could end up better than Pasquantino given he hasn't put himself on the IL by swinging.
Isbel: not gonna happen, unfortunately. Nice speed/power combo on paper but nah.
Cross: too early to tell. No opinion.
Drew Waters: nope

In 2 or 3 years, I am going to link back to this very post as proof that I had my finger absolutely on the pulse of the Royal organization.
BWJ is gonna be a star and will be a top 3 SS in the game. He will get his D under control and will be even better with the bat next year. He will absolutely without a doubt be better than Adley.

Pasquantino will be a perennial all star if the injury bug doesn't get him.

Melendez is gonna be better than Salvy, but won't be a Royal for life.

Pratto is probably a 2 WAR a year player.

Massey is gonna be a GG contender at 2nd and probably Whit lite at the plate.

Drew Waters will be a bottom of the order hitter and will at least not be a negative WAR guy.

Isbel flat out sucks, but will probably be a regular in the lineup for the next few years.

This easily changes if Cal is as bad at his job as we think he is.

Singer will be the ace of the staff high 2 SP

Bubic will be a starter, but back of the rotation. This could change however if he could stopping walking so many people and get the right coach

Lynch/Kowar - with the right coaching both could be backend of the bull pen guys at best, but more than likely both will be average bullpen guys.

The offense is going to be damn good and this team might compete with the right pitching additions and a competent coaching staff.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:10 PM 09-09-2022
Have you ever thought about becoming a phd in economics, Duncan? You could write books about how the stock market is volatile and it's hard to decide which stocks will rise and which will fall. Could get you a nobel prize! All you have to do is transfer your baseball wisdom to the realm of economics.
What are you even going on about? What answer were you expecting to see from him?

I wasn't aware that there was anyone in the world with the ability to actively project how a players career will turn out. I also wasn't aware that there is a person that can accurately predict how stocks will fair.

You're a dumbass bro
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 04:12 PM 09-09-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
What are you even going on about? What answer were you expecting to see from him?

I wasn't aware that there was anyone in the world with the ability to actively project how a players career will turn out. I also wasn't aware that there is a person that can accurately predict how stocks will fair.

You're a dumbass bro
What if I told you there are such people? I'm not saying I'm one of them. But Stanford Wong is and so is Jason Sullivan. Sports are not entirely random.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:12 PM 09-09-2022
Originally Posted by nychief:
Banning the shift might save Ryan O’Hearn’s career. I just hope it’s not with us.
Add 5 points to O' Turds BA and he's still a turd
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:16 PM 09-09-2022
What if I told you there are such people? I'm not saying I'm one of them. But Stanford Wong is and so is Jason Sullivan. Sports are not entirely random.
I'd tell you to prove it.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 04:28 PM 09-09-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I'd tell you to prove it.
I'm in the process of doing just that. I wrote down a series of predictions that I intend to use as proof. Who did I leave out? Mazzicato? Too young to tell.
[Reply]
Page 381 of 469
« First < 281331371377378379380381 382383384385391431 > Last »
Up