ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 365 of 3903
« First < 265315355361362363364365 3663673683693754154658651365 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
stumppy 12:24 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Unless something dramatically shifts to the bad in the next week, and considering the social distancing it shouldn't, we aren't going to see anything near all the crazy predictions. We haven't seen the super fast climb in deaths or new cases predicted just 10 days ago.

The whole idea of "millions" of deaths is based off 50% of the people getting it and 3% of them dying. We have already dropped down to 1.5% death rate on cases we know exist so its obviously lower if 80% of people show very little sign of illness even if they contract it.
If 10% got it and 3% died it would be about 1,000,000.
Based on our population of 327,000,000.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:24 PM 03-17-2020
I'm sitting in my office right now listening to a friend of the guy I work with saying that C19 isn't the flu, it's only the common cold. "100s of thousands die of the common cold every year and only 41 have died of C19 in Washington".

I would be massively face palming right now but am trying to touch my face less.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:27 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
If 10% got it and 3% died it would be about 1,000,000.
Based on our population of 327,000,000.
Ok then its at least 20% in that scenario since the word "millions" is not singular.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:29 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I understand this argument - but then why are people saying we're right on track with where Italy was?
A few things:

1) I'm seeing that position far less often over the last few days.

2) A lot of the people that were saying it were using arbitrary endpoints to and shifting around D-0 to make their predictions. After being '5 days behind Italy!' 2 weeks ago to being 2 weeks behind and this morning I saw someone saw we're 3 weeks behind...there's been a LOT of fudging numbers to try to find trends.

3) Some of the most egregious things I've seen done are people using one metric (say contracted cases) to establish their D-0 then using that same D-0 to apply it to deaths or critical cases. It's hard to explain without showing the exact instances but ultimately that were using their same datapoints across multiple different scales. It's REAL bad science.

4) Some folks were just working backwards to set their endpoints. Which...yeah, don't do that.

So from what I can tell, the real problem is a constant shifting of "where the US is" in regards to the virus. When you don't see the same deaths as Italy, you don't say "well we've done X to reduce deaths" you say "oh, well we must just be at D+2" even though you said we were at D+2 four days ago. I've seen some pretty bad science/stats in some of this stuff. It's been awfully disappointing when you're trying to figure out what the hell is actually happening.

But no matter what you think, we're still dealing with a MASSIVE 'Small N' problem and in the end, even 2-3 days of significant changes could spike a trendline dramatically. As I said yesterday - everything could fall to hell tomorrow.

But everything hasn't fallen to hell yet today, so I guess we can mark that box off...
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:32 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Yeah. I figure at this point I'll just keep my resume updated and if it happens officially I'll just keep working on my next IT cert until I'm employed again.

Just gotta keep moving forward.
Pros and cons of being in IT:

Pro: You most likely can work remotely

Con: You most likely can work remotely
[Reply]
FAX 12:32 PM 03-17-2020
There's been a lot of good news about Chloroquine out there. Idk how long these trials take, but maybe we can hurry things along a bit since this drug has been around for 50 years.
Apparently, COVID-19 has difficulty infiltrating the cell wall if the human being has zinc in the human's system. The theory is that Chloroquine facilitates zinc ion uptake in the body.

Of course, you could also use a Frunutta Zinc + C tablet and dissolve it under your tongue (not for swallowing). Many people swear that the combination boosts the immune system.

If not sold out, those are available online, I believe.

FAX
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:33 PM 03-17-2020
I understand this argument - but then why are people saying we're right on track with where Italy was?
I believe as of today that would be false but I am not certain. The number of deaths is not growing in proportion to the number of new cases and definitely not in line with Italy.

Italy currently has an 8% death rate based off 31,00 cases, I can't see that happening in the US which is at 1.6%. I wouldn't expect that number to balloon to 8%.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:35 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That's you 'getting smart"? Lord, you suck at this.

So I say something as it relates to you that is completely accurate, your response is to say something regarding my position that...isn't.

And I'm the one crying about it? Ah....got it.

By the way, you almost made it through a post without wildly misrepresenting my position. I mean...you didn't, but you almost did. So that's progress.

Like I said - if you're going to try to speak directly to something I'm saying, at least read what I'm actually saying. Or don't weigh in. It's really not that hard.
That's fine if you think at suck at 'this' whatever 'this' is. You're entitled to your opinion.

Bottom line if a Governor feels the need to shut down businesses for the safety of the public they will do so whether you or I like it or not. Personally, I think what they are doing is great. It takes a lot of courage because a lot of people obviously aren't going to like it. It could save lives.

I believe we can all agree that if they didn't do this the virus would spread at a more rapid rate at the very least more than likely cost society more lives. So lets try to stay positive here and look at the overall picture.

You can bounce back losing a job or not partying for a couple weekends but if people die from this virus they can't come back from that.
[Reply]
O.city 12:36 PM 03-17-2020
I called my ER doc surgeon buddy that I play golf with here in town and told him if they need any real doctors at the hospital to give me a call.

But on a serious note I did volunteer to help at the hospital if it gets swamped. I'm just a dentist so I don't wanna be doing anything real medical, maybe changing linens or something.
[Reply]
TLO 12:37 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I called my ER doc surgeon buddy that I play golf with here in town and told him if they need any real doctors at the hospital to give me a call.

But on a serious note I did volunteer to help at the hospital if it gets swamped. I'm just a dentist so I don't wanna be doing anything real medical, maybe changing linens or something.
Way to go! :-)
[Reply]
BWillie 12:40 PM 03-17-2020
The world is about to reach 200,000 Coronavirus cases.

Scary shit going on in Italy though. They are getting demolished. 2,941 total recovered, and 2,503 deaths. 26,062 active cases without a result yet. That is an insane death rate so far.
[Reply]
Donger 12:41 PM 03-17-2020
Wow, now 1,700 cases in NY.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:41 PM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Pros and cons of being in IT:

Pro: You most likely can work remotely

Con: You most likely can work remotely
I’m currently “unemployed” but it’s different with me in I.T., I’ve been doing contract work for awhile. Great pay but it’s projects. This thing hit when I was looking for the next project. So technically I’m not willingly unemployed. I don’t live paycheck to paycheck so I’ll be fine as will most I.T. Engineers that have up to date skills. Once this is over, everyone is going to the cloud on steroids fast.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:42 PM 03-17-2020
And to build on this just a little bit more.

I think there were some well meaning 'overestimates' at times as well.

If I'm looking to settle a case and I need $1,000 to do it, I'm not gonna come in asking for $1,000. I'm not gonna ask for $10,000 because I've overplayed my hand and blown everything out of the water.

But I'll ask for 2. I'll overstate the circumstances by a little to ensure that the situation is taken seriously. We all do it. It happens in football discussions all the time - remember the "ALEX SMITH IS MATT CASSEL 2.0!!!" days? Nobody really thought Alex Smith was Matt Cassel, but they said he was to demonstrate that he damn sure wasn't Patrick Mahomes. Sometimes that hand gets overplayed, sometimes it gets played just right.

But I think there were a lot of people who REALLY felt like this was being taken too lightly, and perhaps with good cause. So they, consciously or subconsciously, played to the more dire consequences side of the ledger to push the responses as much as they could.

Just a theory...
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:44 PM 03-17-2020
I have to think NY's numbers are high thanks to public transportation. The rare case where that works against you. Some friends have been worried about the subway for weeks and welp
[Reply]
Page 365 of 3903
« First < 265315355361362363364365 3663673683693754154658651365 > Last »
Up