ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 361 of 3903
« First < 261311351357358359360361 3623633643653714114618611361 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:43 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Probably could have worded this better. My real question is why is China, outside of Hubei, doing so well? 1.35 billion people, right next to the outbreak source, and they have fewer deaths than France.
If you trust China's official numbers you are a fool. China does not do post mortem testing to see if someone died of Coronavirus. The CCP has a very good reason to hide the actual numbers.
[Reply]
stevieray 10:44 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

This has to continue to be dealt with on a localized basis. These responses have to continue to be tailored. Surgery with a shotgun is the LAST thing we need.
Yup, it's up to the States . They should be banning travel, or closing their airports, etc.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:44 AM 03-17-2020
DJ destroying dudes with sound logic and a very reasonable outlook.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:44 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I think our President and many of the Governors who have more information than any of us could ever hope to have on the subject would disagree.
Lots of calls to suspend Posse Comitatus are there?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:47 AM 03-17-2020
Oh come on comparing cows to what goes on at wet market or Yulin Dog Meat Festival is a little ridiculous.
I’ve spent a lot of time in South Asia. Some with folks that were pretty impacted watching videos of U.S. factory farms. They’d disagree.

I’m not saying I do - our deep freeze is stocked with enough beef to last us two months - and again, I (and China’s own despot) believe China has to seriously alter their wet market regulations.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:48 AM 03-17-2020
Knock yourselves out with this.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:48 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It's fascinating that India only has 142 cases.

An analysis of 100 Chinese cities found that high temperature & humidity are correlated with lower transmission of #COVID-19 & #coronavirus

This is consistent with evidence that high temperature & humidity significantly reduce transmission of the flu.. https://t.co/JCKcJgZWi8 pic.twitter.com/dUF4ZBpV77

— Jay Van Bavel (@jayvanbavel) March 16, 2020

That said, India has some cold mountainous places like Rajastan that could be vulnerable.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:50 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
BREAKING: The Mall of America is closing at 5 p.m. today through at least March 31.
But where will America go now for leggings and Orange Julius?
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:51 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Based on my experience, zinc works wonders. My GF had the flu, she was out for the count for 4 days. I loaded up on zinc for 4 days. My flu-like symptoms only lasted about 24 hrs to 36 hrs.

Maybe it's placebo. I don't know. Maybe my immune system is just stronger than normal and zinc has nothing to do with it. But that is my experience.
What form of zinc? Seems like there's an endless variety out there. Not ZMA right? I tried that stuff once and it gave me freaky dreams.
[Reply]
MagicHef 10:52 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
If you trust China's official numbers you are a fool. China does not do post mortem testing to see if someone died of Coronavirus. The CCP has a very good reason to hide the actual numbers.
Whether or not their numbers are fully accurate, the rest of China is not facing the crisis that Italy or Spain are right now. From what we know, it seems like they should be.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:52 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And if your mom gets shot in a robbery they won't let you on the perpetrator's jury.

You don't advocate policy positions from personal loss or hardship. You have to maintain your cool, understand all consequences and work from there.

And 'our healthcare system' is not national. It's local. So long as the spread continues to behave here as it's behaved everywhere, it won't be a national immediate outbreak. It will continue to be a series of localized outbreaks that will need to be dealt with on a localized basis. SF having its hand full right now does NOTHING to impact capacity in Columbia, MO. And when it gets here, it's not going to be hospital beds in SF that determine the outcomes in Columbia.

So effectuating an immediate national lockdown and putting the clamps on thousands of communities that have not been in any way impacted by it right now will immediately start the '**** this' clock and you'll be burning time, good will and buy-in for no reason in those communities. Then if/when it DOES get there, you have a populace of frayed, exhausted, fiscally and emotionally drained people who are simply done. They'll you'll still have your hospital collapse followed by a local populace that no longer has the buy-in or wherewithal to be as responsible as they'd have otherwise been.

This has to continue to be dealt with on a localized basis. These responses have to continue to be tailored. Surgery with a shotgun is the LAST thing we need.
So basically let me get this straight because I don't want to misunderstand your posts. You think nothing should be shut down and society should go about their business as usual because this virus doesn't affect most people? Correct?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:52 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Fingers crossed
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:52 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
The most fascinating part of 'seasonal viruses' to me is that we only know which ones ARE seasonal but we don't really know why.

We seem to have settled on humidity being the key limiting factor - it seems to REALLY knock down the viruses ability to survive outside a host. But we can't identify why some viruses demonstrate a seasonal pattern and others don't (which is why we're still largely guessing on COVID). We don't know what it is precisely about high humidity that stalls 'em out.

But any indication that this will follow the same seasonal course as many other coronaviruses (though not all) is obviously outstanding news. If it buys us 5-6 months, that could be all the runway we need.

The smartest people in the world are all putting their efforts at combating this thing. We'll find an answer, provided that there's one to be found.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:53 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Probably could have worded this better. My real question is why is China, outside of Hubei, doing so well? 1.35 billion people, right next to the outbreak source, and they have fewer deaths than France.
They shut down the entire country. My boss's parents live in Chongqing - a city with 30 million people. When they got 10 positive tests there, they shut the whole city down.

Sounds similar to what we're doing now - only essential businesses still open, but people can still go to work and go for walks - not like the super hardcore lockdown in Wuhan where you can't even be out on the streets except once a week to buy groceries.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:54 AM 03-17-2020
So basically let me get this straight because I don't want to misunderstand your posts. You think nothing should be shut down and society should go about their business as usual because this virus doesn't affect most people? Correct?
Dude.

This is so dumb as to not even merit a response. You're welcome to click 'find more posts by this user' and actually read what I've said if you'd like. But if you just want to sit there and kick straw men - well, it's your time.
[Reply]
Page 361 of 3903
« First < 261311351357358359360361 3623633643653714114618611361 > Last »
Up