ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 383
« First < 263233343536 373839404686136 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
irishjayhawk 11:41 AM 11-14-2010
I had Yeti Imperial Stout last night.

In my haste to drink it, I didn't let it cool long enough so by the end it was warm. The cold parts were delicious though. I do think the Chocolate flavored one had more umph, flavor wise but this had "the bite". "The bite" is best tasted on Avery's Mephistopheles Stout but was present here in a slightly more muted manner.

Overall, I'd definitely get another one. Hopefully fully chilled next time.
[Reply]
Reaper16 12:13 PM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
I had Yeti Imperial Stout last night.

In my haste to drink it, I didn't let it cool long enough so by the end it was warm. The cold parts were delicious though. I do think the Chocolate flavored one had more umph, flavor wise but this had "the bite". "The bite" is best tasted on Avery's Mephistopheles Stout but was present here in a slightly more muted manner.

Overall, I'd definitely get another one. Hopefully fully chilled next time.
Room temp is the best temperature for a lot of beers. Most imperial stouts should be much better at room temp. Yeti is pretty hoppy, though, and those hops are certainly crisper at a colder temp.

I tend to start my beers off chilled and let them warm up to room temp or thereabouts as I'm drinking. Tasting and smelling how the beer changes, how new aromas and flavors open up and old ones get altered, with temperature is so cool that it never gets old.
[Reply]
Reaper16 12:15 PM 11-14-2010
Saturdays in Tuscaloosa are my homebrewing days. When those fall on a 'Bama home game the day gets to be pretty insane. Here's what I drank yesterday:

homebrew ginger saison
homebrew pumpkin ale
Short's Black Cherry Porter
Three Floyds Robert the Bruce
Boulevard [Smokestack Series] 21st Anniversary Fresh Hop Pale Ale
2009 Cantillon Classic Guezue
2007 De Struise Pannepot
homebrew Pliny the Elder-clone, aka "Hoppier Arenas" (named after Javier Arenas)
[Reply]
NewChief 01:33 PM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Saturdays in Tuscaloosa are my homebrewing days. When those fall on a 'Bama home game the day gets to be pretty insane. Here's what I drank yesterday:

homebrew ginger saison
homebrew pumpkin ale
Short's Black Cherry Porter
Three Floyds Robert the Bruce
Boulevard [Smokestack Series] 21st Anniversary Fresh Hop Pale Ale
2009 Cantillon Classic Guezue
2007 De Struise Pannepot
homebrew Pliny the Elder-clone, aka "Hoppier Arenas" (named after Javier Arenas)
That's a good amount of strong beers for a day. I imagine you were feeling pretty damned good.

I continue to be addicted to Tank 7. I need to branch out and try some other Smokestacks.
[Reply]
KC native 02:17 PM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
That's a good amount of strong beers for a day. I imagine you were feeling pretty damned good.

I continue to be addicted to Tank 7. I need to branch out and try some other Smokestacks.
I just got over that. The Double Wide IPA is fantastic. I'm also pretty big on the Two Jokers double wit.

Just had an Oskar Blues Tenfidy. Good but I like Old Rasputin and Yeti better.
[Reply]
NewChief 02:20 PM 11-14-2010
My wife is pissed at me for getting back into good beer. She absolutely LOVES beer, but she hates the calories. Drinks wine instead. When I was drinking swill all the time, she didn't really miss the beer. Now that I'm pulling out Tank 7s and Saison Duponts and shit once a week, she's bitching up a storm and sneaking a glass here and there.
[Reply]
kstater 02:23 PM 11-14-2010
My wife is pissed at me for getting back into good beer. She absolutely LOVES beer, but she hates the calories. Drinks wine instead. When I was drinking swill all the time, she didn't really miss the beer. Now that I'm pulling out Tank 7s and Saison Duponts and shit once a week, she's bitching up a storm and sneaking a glass here and there.
Just tell her to exercise more.
[Reply]
NewChief 02:23 PM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by kstater:
Just tell her to exercise more.
She works out 6 days a week already. I don't really want her to exercise more, heh.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 02:47 PM 11-14-2010
Room temp is the best temperature for a lot of beers. Most imperial stouts should be much better at room temp. Yeti is pretty hoppy, though, and those hops are certainly crisper at a colder temp.

I tend to start my beers off chilled and let them warm up to room temp or thereabouts as I'm drinking. Tasting and smelling how the beer changes, how new aromas and flavors open up and old ones get altered, with temperature is so cool that it never gets old.
Good to know.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 02:49 PM 11-14-2010

Pretty much any smokestack beer is good. (I don't care for Harvest Dance or Two-Joker's Wit but mostly because I'm not (yet) a fan of Barleywine or coriander flavored stuff, respectively.)
[Reply]
Reaper16 02:51 PM 11-14-2010
Tell her that Saisons are a lot lighter than the beer styles you could be pulling out. It's true. The difference in calories between a Saison and, say, an Imperial Stout or a Barleywine is staggering.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 02:56 PM 11-14-2010
Tell her that Saisons are a lot lighter than the beer styles you could be pulling out. It's true. The difference in calories between a Saison and, say, an Imperial Stout or a Barleywine is staggering.
Got any examples?

I've often wondered myself since I gravitate to Imperials.
[Reply]
Reaper16 03:01 PM 11-14-2010
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
Got any examples?

I've often wondered myself since I gravitate to Imperials.
Saison Dupont has 150 calories in a 12oz. bottle. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, in the same bottle size, has 330 calories. The more malt sugars a beer has, the more calories there are going to be.
[Reply]
Toadkiller 03:17 PM 11-19-2010
Just got back from the release of Dissident at the Deschutes brewery. Had an elk burker and a glass of it for lunch, not as sour as the last batch a couple years ago but It will get more so as it ages. I liked it and recommend it. I got 6 to put in my cellar and will probably get a bit more.

Abyss comes out the end of November, love the abyss.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew...s/default.aspx
[Reply]
Reaper16 03:38 PM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by Toadkiller:
Just got back from the release of Dissident at the Deschutes brewery. Had an elk burker and a glass of it for lunch, not as sour as the last batch a couple years ago but It will get more so as it ages. I liked it and recommend it. I got 6 to put in my cellar and will probably get a bit more.

Abyss comes out the end of November, love the abyss.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew...s/default.aspx
I need a hookup for this year's The Abyss... :-)
[Reply]
Page 36 of 383
« First < 263233343536 373839404686136 > Last »
Up