ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 35 of 57
« First < 253132333435 3637383945 > Last »
Media Center>Captain Marvel
Fish 08:23 AM 09-18-2018

[Reply]
007 10:47 PM 03-08-2019
Considering going Sunday but the wife doesn't understand the need to purchase the tickets in advance. She doesn't want to pay the service fee. Told her, if you want to see the movie this weekend your going to have to.
[Reply]
FAX 11:46 PM 03-08-2019
This will be a very good movie for Marvel-Cinema fans to discuss in a few weeks (after most people have had a chance to attend). There were some very interesting decisions made by Marvel and the directors, IMO.

There we also some fascinating advances in movie-making tech showcased in this film.

FAX
[Reply]
DaFace 11:56 PM 03-08-2019
Just got back. I generally enjoyed it, but it's far from my favorite. Overall, I just thought it felt very muted overall. It wasn't THAT much of a 90s movie. The cat wasn't THAT funny. It was pro-girl, but not THAT much. Larson acted it well, but pretty safely. So...whatever. It wasn't dumb. I'm not champing at the bit to see Captain Marvel 2, though.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 12:52 AM 03-09-2019
https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/201...a-cinemascore/

A CinemaScore

RT score almost final at 79% on 329 reviews
Audience score at 51% on 18747 trying to weed out trolls and bots.
[Reply]
Sorry 03:21 AM 03-09-2019
It was an origin movie so don't expect an advance complex plot. In terms of pace, action, humor, acting, cinematography, plot, filler, and believability they are all in the 90% range. I think it's a top 3-5 marvel movie (prob closer to five than one). You can feel the weight if how powerful marvel could be, now we will see how she acts with everyone on screen. I had low expectations going in due to the trolls and stupid preconceived notions but I was thoroughly proven wrong. Go see this movie!
[Reply]
Rausch 06:22 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
I haven't really seen most fans of comics online bitch about her except people upset with Brie and her comments.
You aren’t looking very hard then.

Without spoilers retcons/continuity problems with Fury, Kree , Skrulls, Mar-Vel, as well as the lack of a strong villain (a marvel staple at this point.)

There are huge departures in this film that change or limit characters moving forward.
[Reply]
Rausch 06:26 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I think they already know RT got bombarded by some bot scores but they should be able to weed those out I would believe to get a proper scoring. I will be interested to see what it is once that is done. I am sure once they weed them out they will still be screaming Russian bots or some such shit.
Yes. RT deleted over fifty thousand reviews.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:06 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I like that it's getting positive reviews. It'll be important for this film to do well, I think. The MCU is unique in that it has created a pretty great backlog of interesting female characters.

The Scarlet Witch is a mega-powered but emotionally immature. The Black Widow came across in films like Cap 2 and Avengers 2 as someone doing what she can to survive. Gamora has the background of an assassin but the heart of a noble warrior. Mantis just wants to exist in freedom. And this doesn't even include Jessica Jones, who is Marvel's best-ever female but her role in the MCU is relegated to the Netflix street-levelers. Or the bloodthirsty Hela, or the whipsmart Shuri. The Wasp has a ton of potential, too, as her action scenes have been phenomenal.

The MCU has done such a brilliant job cultivating a good backlog of female characters in the background that I have a hard time thinking they can't push one to the front of a movie. I can't help but think the eventual Black Widow movie won't make gazillions of dollars, and there are tons of alternative arthouse possiblities with characters like Rogue, or Squirrel Girl, or Ms. Marvel, or Kate Bishop.

But all those characters have shades of subtlety and quirks. I think your cinematic universe needs a broad heart-of-gold character at its center for all the other idiosyncrasies to bounce off of. The universe of female characters needs Captain Marvel to land.

The MCU needs that character, too. For a decade-plus, it's been Chris Evans' Captain America. For the next decade, it'll probably be Brie Larson's Captain Marvel.

I'm sure this movie will at least be pretty good, based on the early reviews on Twitter. But if it's a smash success and a really good film, we're looking at an excellent decade-plus ahead, and a new generation of diverse superheroes from every walk of life, rather than the usual parade of white guys.
Thank you for this NPC barf that could have been spewed word for word from anyone at the marvel PR department. It really shows insight when you parrot things.

We get it. White guys bother you.

We'll see what happens. All the characters you mentioned are pretty much failures in the comics with an exception (rogue, who is rarely presented as a stand alone character) with constant cancellations and character repackaging, unlike the white men with decades of success that upset you so much. Other than that you're just naming a lot of characters who have been at the forefront of the absolute collapse of Marvel comic sales. Half of them are just self inserts by bad writers who have high opinions of themselves.

Captain Marvel has been a bad character. She's been cancelled/repackaged 9 times. She's less popular now than she was in the 70's in spite of being put at the forefront, loaded with mega powers, and presented as a flagship character.

This movie is like a 'last chance' to finally get something out of a character they've shoved down their audiences throat for 15 years with no success. On top of that if the MCU follows the comics' lead and get started with the non stop propagandizing with their typical SJW racism and sexism, the whole MCU will bomb. Their audience is made up largely of the white guys you revile so much. Man, it must be HARD to be made that uncomfortable by someone's white penis. How do you cope?

Reminds me of how Dr STrange recast the ancient one because they were afraid SJW's would call it a racist trope, and instead they complained about whitewashing. The reality? They WOULD HAVE complained about the racist asian trope! You can't satisfy them and they don't buy shit. They just want to control things. Stop bowing to them.

That doesnt' mean the movie is bad. Feige is a genius. If anyone can make it work, he can. I'll eventually watch it. I'm expecting the same tired marvel formula though so I'm in no rush.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 09:15 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Just got back. I generally enjoyed it, but it's far from my favorite. Overall, I just thought it felt very muted overall. It wasn't THAT much of a 90s movie. The cat wasn't THAT funny. It was pro-girl, but not THAT much. Larson acted it well, but pretty safely. So...whatever. It wasn't dumb. I'm not champing at the bit to see Captain Marvel 2, though.
Thanks. You've always been even handed, so i've been waiting for your review.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:38 AM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Thanks. You've always been even handed, so i've been waiting for your review.
Don't get me wrong - it's worth seeing. There are some fun loose ends in the MCU that get tied up a bit. I just don't think her story is all that compelling (and I'm really trying hard not to get stuck in the "because she's a girl" mentality).

My biggest issue is a bit of a spoiler - more about the character than the movie itself, but read at your own risk:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bowser 10:11 AM 03-09-2019
Also, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing a young Fury and Coulson working together and seeing how SHIELD grows in its early days.
[Reply]
Sorry 12:05 PM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Thank you for this NPC barf that could have been spewed word for word from anyone at the marvel PR department. It really shows insight when you parrot things.

We get it. White guys bother you.

We'll see what happens. All the characters you mentioned are pretty much failures in the comics with an exception (rogue, who is rarely presented as a stand alone character) with constant cancellations and character repackaging, unlike the white men with decades of success that upset you so much. Other than that you're just naming a lot of characters who have been at the forefront of the absolute collapse of Marvel comic sales. Half of them are just self inserts by bad writers who have high opinions of themselves.

Captain Marvel has been a bad character. She's been cancelled/repackaged 9 times. She's less popular now than she was in the 70's in spite of being put at the forefront, loaded with mega powers, and presented as a flagship character.

This movie is like a 'last chance' to finally get something out of a character they've shoved down their audiences throat for 15 years with no success. On top of that if the MCU follows the comics' lead and get started with the non stop propagandizing with their typical SJW racism and sexism, the whole MCU will bomb. Their audience is made up largely of the white guys you revile so much. Man, it must be HARD to be made that uncomfortable by someone's white penis. How do you cope?

Reminds me of how Dr STrange recast the ancient one because they were afraid SJW's would call it a racist trope, and instead they complained about whitewashing. The reality? They WOULD HAVE complained about the racist asian trope! You can't satisfy them and they don't buy shit. They just want to control things. Stop bowing to them.

That doesnt' mean the movie is bad. Feige is a genius. If anyone can make it work, he can. I'll eventually watch it. I'm expecting the same tired marvel formula though so I'm in no rush.
A lot of this screams fragility that theres more going on the screen than what your familiar with. In your world, there would be no cultural breakthroughs of having a strong woman role or an all black cast or a mix of sexuality and race etc. You'd probably complain about if they changed Superman to Asian even tho Superman is an alien and could literally be anything. The world is changing. "Sjw" because they want to expand their audience and people who can relate to a movie is not a bad thing. This movie was actually really well written and acted. This is coming from someone who admittedly had to fight the classic "she's a girl - they're trying to hard to be just like a man -trope".

Stop being angry lol

+ There's a reason the main core audience is white and why there is a changing of the guard. Connect the dots chief.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:18 PM 03-09-2019
I know....super sexist take here but I was really looking forward to getting Adam Warlock on the big screen.
[Reply]
Sorry 12:26 PM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I know....super sexist take here but I was really looking forward to getting Adam Warlock on the big screen.
I was reading that he might be introduced in guardians three
[Reply]
vailpass 12:28 PM 03-09-2019
Originally Posted by Sorry:
A lot of this screams fragility that theres more going on the screen than what your familiar with. In your world, there would be no cultural breakthroughs of having a strong woman role or an all black cast or a mix of sexuality and race etc. You'd probably complain about if they changed Superman to Asian even tho Superman is an alien and could literally be anything. The world is changing. "Sjw" because they want to expand their audience and people who can relate to a movie is not a bad thing. This movie was actually really well written and acted. This is coming from someone who admittedly had to fight the classic "she's a girl - they're trying to hard to be just like a man -trope".

Stop being angry lol

+ There's a reason the main core audience is white and why there is a changing of the guard. Connect the dots chief.
Hey there big hitter. In the Media forum DC doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.
[Reply]
Page 35 of 57
« First < 253132333435 3637383945 > Last »
Up