ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 337 of 352
« First < 237287327333334335336337 338339340341347 > Last »
Hall of Classics>***** Official '21/'22 KU Men's Basketball Repository Thread *****
cmh6476 07:32 AM 06-28-2021
The Team:

https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster/

The Schedule:

https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule/
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:55 PM 04-14-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
You are all way too young or every one of you would be saying Danny Manning.
I didn't see every single game that Danny played at AFH, but I think I could probably count the number of games I missed on one hand.
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:58 PM 04-14-2022
1. Wilt
2. Danny
3. Hinrich, dude was such a baller
4. I'd love to say Pierce but he was better in the League. I'm going with TRob what a story
5. Embiid, I was in on him early and I've never seen a college player advance that quickly on any team. Dude makes me still root for PHILADELPHIA which is a miracle.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:01 PM 04-14-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
1. Frank Mason and it isnt even close. I hope that guy wants to coach at KU someday
2. Pierce
3. Chalmers
4. Collins
5. Ochai
6. Hinrich

Overrated
1. Joel Embiid. Great NBA player and got alot better but id rather have sooo many guys IN COLLEGE over him.
2. Vaughn
3. Sean Pearson. Shooter who couldn't shoot
4. Dedric Lawson
5. Devonte Graham. Took so many terrible 2-pt shots and always got a free pass.
I can understand saying he was over rated as far as impact because he started out raw, ended up injured, and was a one and done.

But toward the end of the year when he was coming on he was a joy to watch and he was absolutely a monster at both ends.

But yea, he didn't dominate that many games but I still have really fond memories of watching his college games and I'm certainly wistful about what might have been if he had stayed healthy.

He could have carried the team on his back to a title.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:10 PM 04-14-2022
Yea one afternoon I stumbled on a YouTube documentary on Wilt.

Certainly the most amazing basketball player to come out of Kansas.

There was an article in the Atlantic, and if I recall it correctly, you only have to go back 10 or 15 years and Wilt had more 60 point games than all other NBA players combined.
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:13 PM 04-14-2022
Never forget that one year Wilt lead the league in assists because why not

10k women is so low on the list of amazing shit he did
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 01:38 AM 04-15-2022
Does it feel so good to know that your Kansas Jayhawks are the reigning defending NCAA Champions the conquerors your 6 time thou should be 7 times champion Kansas Jayhawks.
[Reply]
DJay23 06:11 AM 04-15-2022
Never forget that one year Wilt lead the league in assists because why not

10k women is so low on the list of amazing shit he did
Several years ago when the Jordan vs Lebron argument was really raging, I would often say, neither, its Wilt.

To my knowledge no NBA or NCAA rules were changed because of MJ or Lebron.

Wilt was the impetus for 4 rule changes (The article says 5 but then also says one of the rules had already been changed). The NCAA or NBA had never seen that combination of size and athleticism before. In my opinion you can never talk glowingly enough about how he should rate.

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/...an%20in%201951.

There are a few things left to say about Wilt Chamberlain. The big man is one of the most dominant players ever and nobody can deny it. He didn't win as many championships as Bill Russell or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did, but Wilt is one of the most memorable names in the game of basketball.

Chamberlain not only set a lot of records but also made big plays and had impressive stats during his career. He was responsible for changing the game of basketball. The NBA and NCAA actually changed the rules to make it harder for Wilt. Thanks to Chamberlain, the league changed five rules:

Offensive Goaltending
Defensive Goaltending
Size of the lane/paint
Free throw shooting
Inbounding the Ball

In 1956, the league banned offensive goaltending. The rule said that no player can touch the ball if any part of it is over the cylinder. Nowadays it's called basketball interference. 12 years before that, in 1944, the league had already banned defensive goaltending.

In 1964, trying to stop Chamberlain, the NBA widened the lane area from 12 feet to 16. Curiously, they first widened it from 6 feet to 12 to diminish the dominance of George Mikan in 1951.

During his time at the University of Kansas, teammates were throwing alley-oop passes over the top of the backboard from behind it so Wilt could make dunks. The NCAA changed this rule, too, after watching the big advantage Wilt had.

One of the most incredible stories about Chamberlain is how he shot free throws. He made the shot, jumped from behind the free-throw line and slam the ball through the basket before his feet touched the ground. He didn't touch any part of the lane area while the ball went through the rim, so that wasn't a violation. That created another rule that says, "players cannot cross the plane of the free-throw line, even if your feet are not touching the ground, until the ball hits the rim or passes through the basket."

You can talk about all the good things this man did in his career, how impressive was his jump, his 100-point game, whatever; making a competition changing the rules for you, that's a different story. That's why Chamberlain will always be part of the greatest players ever.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:13 AM 04-15-2022
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
:-)
[Reply]
Lzen 07:19 AM 04-15-2022
Excellent because I'm drunk and telling stories I worked at Alvamar as a waiter when Wilt came back.

EVERYONE was there. When I walked in my idiot manager said okay James you are going to wait on Wilt tonight but if you actually call him Bombaata you're fired.

I talked a lot of game how funny it would be to call him that but I pussed out in the end. That was a great weekend for Kansas btw

edit: seeing him say Rock Chalk Jayhawk in that pregame footage still gives me chills
Cool story. What's Bombaata about?
[Reply]
Lzen 07:26 AM 04-15-2022
Originally Posted by DJay23:
Several years ago when the Jordan vs Lebron argument was really raging, I would often say, neither, its Wilt.

To my knowledge no NBA or NCAA rules were changed because of MJ or Lebron.

Wilt was the impetus for 4 rule changes (The article says 5 but then also says one of the rules had already been changed). The NCAA or NBA had never seen that combination of size and athleticism before. In my opinion you can never talk glowingly enough about how he should rate.

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/...an%20in%201951.

There are a few things left to say about Wilt Chamberlain. The big man is one of the most dominant players ever and nobody can deny it. He didn't win as many championships as Bill Russell or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did, but Wilt is one of the most memorable names in the game of basketball.

Chamberlain not only set a lot of records but also made big plays and had impressive stats during his career. He was responsible for changing the game of basketball. The NBA and NCAA actually changed the rules to make it harder for Wilt. Thanks to Chamberlain, the league changed five rules:

Offensive Goaltending
Defensive Goaltending
Size of the lane/paint
Free throw shooting
Inbounding the Ball

In 1956, the league banned offensive goaltending. The rule said that no player can touch the ball if any part of it is over the cylinder. Nowadays it's called basketball interference. 12 years before that, in 1944, the league had already banned defensive goaltending.

In 1964, trying to stop Chamberlain, the NBA widened the lane area from 12 feet to 16. Curiously, they first widened it from 6 feet to 12 to diminish the dominance of George Mikan in 1951.

During his time at the University of Kansas, teammates were throwing alley-oop passes over the top of the backboard from behind it so Wilt could make dunks. The NCAA changed this rule, too, after watching the big advantage Wilt had.

One of the most incredible stories about Chamberlain is how he shot free throws. He made the shot, jumped from behind the free-throw line and slam the ball through the basket before his feet touched the ground. He didn't touch any part of the lane area while the ball went through the rim, so that wasn't a violation. That created another rule that says, "players cannot cross the plane of the free-throw line, even if your feet are not touching the ground, until the ball hits the rim or passes through the basket."

You can talk about all the good things this man did in his career, how impressive was his jump, his 100-point game, whatever; making a competition changing the rules for you, that's a different story. That's why Chamberlain will always be part of the greatest players ever.
:-) Wilt was playing basketball for KU during the 1956-1957 season.
[Reply]
DJay23 07:57 AM 04-15-2022
Originally Posted by Lzen:
:-) Wilt was playing basketball for KU during the 1956-1957 season.
The article isn't very well written either. :-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:19 AM 04-15-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I didn't see every single game that Danny played at AFH, but I think I could probably count the number of games I missed on one hand.
I saw him a lot in person. Unreal talent obv, second in program history to Wilt. I also went to Wilt Day (January 1998). He walked past me and good lord I’ve never seen a bigger human. I did sit next to Willie Roaf one time who’s obv massive, but Wilt was 7-1 300+ and he was still cut like granite in his 60s.

Wilt ran track and field too in college. Rumor always was Phog gave him a new car to come but it’s never been substantiated.

My older cousin was friends with Danny. She said his summer job was at Alvamar. He turned on the sprinklers for the golf course at 8am, waited for a half hour to turn them off. Then left. Came back at 5pm to do a second watering. All in a full days pay!
[Reply]
Kiimo 09:52 AM 04-15-2022
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Cool story. What's Bombaata about?

[Reply]
Lzen 12:12 PM 04-15-2022
Wilt was in Conan the barbarian? Huh, I never knew that.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:45 PM 04-15-2022
Conan The Destroyer to be precise
[Reply]
Page 337 of 352
« First < 237287327333334335336337 338339340341347 > Last »
Up