ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 33 of 35
« First < 232930313233 3435 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign Charles Omenihu
ShowtimeSBMVP 07:43 PM 03-14-2023

Breaking: FA DT Charles Omenihu is signing a two-year, $20M max deal with the #Chiefs, sources tell @theScore.

He's coming off his best season, tallying 16 quarterback hits and 28 initial pressures with #49ers. Omenihu's only 25 years old.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 15, 2023

[Reply]
New World Order 10:57 PM 02-26-2024
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni:
Maybe don't get suspended for cheating and don't get hurt?
He's going to be out about half of next season too.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 11:09 PM 02-26-2024
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Oh brother, this guys already unhappy with his contract

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...accdc7d6&ei=16
Kills me when players with no leverage talk shit in public. You signed a contract bro. A lot of those 34+ games will see you NOT playing. So :-) & play yourself into a new contract after next season. If not, BV will let you hit the street. :-)
[Reply]
kcgreene 07:58 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Oh brother, this guys already unhappy with his contract

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...accdc7d6&ei=16
It's not a good look to say stuff like this, BUT in all fairness, if he was healthy and didn't have the suspension last year, I'd 100% agree with his sentiment. He'd be a double digit sack guy and making a much bigger bag.

But alas, suspension and injury. I personally was hoping with the bumped up cap that we could find a way to extend Omenihu on a reasonable deal to keep him on that Line for a few more years. Him, CJ95, and Karlaftis on passing downs have been wrecking shit.

Oh well, let's enjoy the year we have him and hopefully he's healthy for the Super Bowl. (Him wanting more money aside, it has to suck to be productive and kickass all year just to get injured right before and be out for the Super Bowl.)
[Reply]
nychief 08:04 AM 02-27-2024
He's probably going to get reworked or released. He is a beast, sorry about the injury... hope they can find some common ground.
[Reply]
kcgreene 08:10 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by nychief:
He's probably going to get reworked or released. He is a beast, sorry about the injury... hope they can find some common ground.
He doesn't make enough to warrant a release, and he hasn't made much in his career so far to sit back and force a release (The amount he's making next year almost doubles what he's made in his whole career to this point). He'll be playing next year when he gets healthy.
[Reply]
TribalElder 08:32 AM 02-27-2024
if you play half the games in your two year contract can the team pay you half the agreed sum
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 08:57 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by kcgreene:
He doesn't make enough to warrant a release, and he hasn't made much in his career so far to sit back and force a release (The amount he's making next year almost doubles what he's made in his whole career to this point). He'll be playing next year when he gets healthy.
We can save $8 million by cutting him, I think that's definitely worth exploring. Hell, you would probably be able to keep Danna for slightly more than that average on a 2-3 year deal if you wanted.

If he's going to be healthy by early next year, I do think we hang on to him. Just hope he recovers as fast as some of the recent guys who had his injury. Since it will be a contract year I'm sure he'll bust his ass.
[Reply]
-King- 09:09 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
We can save $8 million by cutting him, I think that's definitely worth exploring. Hell, you would probably be able to keep Danna for slightly more than that average on a 2-3 year deal if you wanted.

If he's going to be healthy by early next year, I do think we hang on to him. Just hope he recovers as fast as some of the recent guys who had his injury. Since it will be a contract year I'm sure he'll bust his ass.
Yeah I'd release him and re-sign Danna with the money saved. Or another DE on a 1 year deal.
[Reply]
kcgreene 09:15 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:

Omenihu is substantially better than Danna, not only from a talent standpoint but also from versatility (Can pass rush from interior more effectively, and gets to the QB more effectively than Danna does). Also, we only save 7.2M by cutting him. Danna after this year will probably go for around 12M AAV (Spotrac has his market value at 16.7M AAV, as teams do definitely overpay for EDGE players)

Youre not matching Omenihu's value by overpaying Danna, and you won't be able to find a vet realistically at 7.2M to match his production when he's on the field.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:54 AM 02-27-2024
Omenihu is substantially better than Danna, not only from a talent standpoint but also from versatility (Can pass rush from interior more effectively, and gets to the QB more effectively than Danna does). Also, we only save 7.2M by cutting him. Danna after this year will probably go for around 12M AAV (Spotrac has his market value at 16.7M AAV, as teams do definitely overpay for EDGE players)

Youre not matching Omenihu's value by overpaying Danna, and you won't be able to find a vet realistically at 7.2M to match his production when he's on the field.
Yeah, I'd rather find a way to get another year or two added to his deal but ultimately I don't think he'd be smart to add more than 1.

Nor would he be smart to call our bluff and get himself cut.

The right answer here seems really obvious - add a year at $8-10 million on the back of this season, move this year's base out into next year and then Omenihu can hope a strong playoff run and 2025 season can get him into FA at 29 years old with a shot at a strong 3 year contract that's more in line with what he thinks he should be making.

The suspension timing sucked for him (entirely his fault) as did the injury (not his fault) but they're both reality. He should come to grips with this sooner rather than later.

Because if the Chiefs need $6-8 million in cap space to replace him in the first half of the season and he's not willing to play ball, he's going to find himself rehabbing as a FA and trying to find a team in October. I think his agent would wisely caution him against that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:56 AM 02-27-2024
I look at this a lot like I looked at the Hardman situation last off-season. The smart thing for Hardman to do was accept a 1-year deal here and rehab his value once the market didn't come together.

And from the Chiefs standpoint, the smart thing to do was offer him that 1 year deal to come back as an experienced veteran with a couple of standout tools.

And it seems that neither side was really willing to swallow pride and get to that point until it was almost too late. Mistakes were made there.

The smart decision for BOTH sides seems to be a 1 year extension. Here's hoping the respective parties see that before this goes too far south on them.
[Reply]
crispystl 09:57 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
I really don't understand why you say that publicly in his position.

Lack of self-awareness/low emotional IQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:04 AM 02-27-2024

He's obviously a much better player, but the problem is availability and longevity. He's clearly gone after next year and we'll be lucky to get half a season and the playoffs out of him. Danna would bring more value in his availability and leadership.

If Danna can land a deal worth $16 million a year on the market, I'll be utterly shocked. He's not a true edge rusher and is really more of a rotational guy who's value is higher here than it probably is anywhere else. He might get some shit team to give him that type of deal and if so, that's fine. However, I could see him as a guy who never really has a market develop for him.

In the end I do think they'll just end up squeezing everything they can out of Omenihu this year, he was damn good when he was on the field, just hope he can get back healthy.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:05 AM 02-27-2024
Him being released is the worst thing that could happen for him and probably the Chiefs too. No team is gonna pay him more than the Chiefs are set to in 2024.

Rehab your ass off, have a great comeback, and go get paid next spring. If KC feels like another year added is beneficial to them, that's worth a try. But I wouldn't cut him and he shouldn't want that either.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:08 AM 02-27-2024
Get him back for the stretch run. I wouldn't cut him unless you absolutely need the money. Any new deals can have a low first year cap hit to offset him only being on the books for 2024.
[Reply]
Page 33 of 35
« First < 232930313233 3435 >
Up