View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 33 of 343
« First < 232930313233 343536374383133 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:11 AM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
And really when you look at it this contract isn’t going to have high cap hits until probably 2024. By then Frank Clark is completely off the books, Chris Jones is off the books, Joe Thuney will probably gone too.

The only big contracts at that point would be Mahomes and Brown Jr…and maybe Kelce if he’s still playing. That’s it.

So basically money is opening up big time for a lot of flexibility.
Sure.

But you still have to spend it correctly or that money will tighten right back up.

Like I said - it's a question of potential. If the Chiefs believe he can have a Jason Peters career - pay the guy. But if they think he'll be merely an average LT long-term, you don't pay him top of the market figures.
[Reply]
hawkchief 09:17 AM 06-01-2022
I'd find a way to move on from OBJ after this year. He's overweight and slow and puts Pat at far too much risk for my liking. Certainly not worth top dollar at a key position. Not impressed with his me-first attitude and the way he's handled the whole contract/position situation. Makes me think he'll get his $$ and become an even bigger, fatter headache than he's been so far. Bye!
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:28 AM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Here's my take:

Clearly Better
Trent Williams
David Bakhtiari
Jedrick Wills
Laremy Tunsil
Ronnie Stanley (when healthy)
Terron Armstead (when healthy)
Tyron Smith (when healthy)
Rashawn Slater
Garrett Bolles
Kolton Miller
Elgton Jenkins (when he's been there and would love to pick this kid up if he hits FA next year)

Similar Tier (You could argue slightly worse or slightly better at different points but generally they all end up in a similar lump for me)
Jordan Mailata
Andrew Thomas
Dion Dawkins
Taylor Decker
Donovan Smith
Joe Noteboom
Jake Matthews
Isaiah Wynn (when healthy)
Mekhi Becton (when healthy)
Charles Leno Jr.
Christian Darrisaw
George Fant

Clearly Worse

D.J. Humphries
Cam Robinson
Jonah Williams
Austin Jackson
Larry Borom

I do agree that getting your hands on a LT that is NFL-quality isn't easy in terms of where you generally need to get them. I don't agree that, if you do, getting one that is at least equivalent to Brown is hard. He's not that great but he's also not terrible. And that is why I have an issue with the thought that KC could pay him top-of-market value. The only reason I'm not 100% against it is that it will require decent draft capital to actually replace him when it could be spent continuing to address the defensive line.
I knew you would have a take that was logical, but thanks for doing this anyway. You're not really the person I'm challenging to make this listing, but you know that (it's for the "he sucks and is bottom half of the league at LT" crowd).

Not a ton to quibble with there.

At the end of the day, I think the Chiefs will end up doing something with him that has a similar initial reaction as most of the recent "big" deals...

Years, total value, AAV are leaked:
"HOLY COW THAT'S TOO MUCH MONEY!!"

Structure is revealed
"Oh, OK. I see what they're doing. This is really (reasonable deal and dollar amount for first 3-4 years, with a clear out at X point).

2 years into deal
Scenario 1: Brown has continued to adjust and improve, and is solidly in the almost-elite tier of LT (call this a 25 percent likelihood):
"This deal is a tremendous value!. Look at what the LT market has done since the deal was signed! They're clearly re-structuring and keeping him when the out comes."

Scenario 2: Brown is basically the same player, solidly in the good-enough, not great LT tier (call this 60 percent likelihood):
"The deal has turned out to be fair market value; when the "out" point comes, they'll have to decide whether to move on or commit another long-term deal."

Scenario 3: Brown gets hurt a lot/play declines due to issues with him being in proper shape (chalk the remaining 15 percent up to this territory, which I think is a high outcome)
"Well, I understand why they did it, but it didn't work for KC. They're clearly cutting him."

Scenario 3 would likely also involve some sort of positional shakeup of Brown to a less-critical position in year 3 or so of a deal... years when they'd be stuck with him because of too-high cost to cut.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:39 AM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Sure.

But you still have to spend it correctly or that money will tighten right back up.

Like I said - it's a question of potential. If the Chiefs believe he can have a Jason Peters career - pay the guy. But if they think he'll be merely an average LT long-term, you don't pay him top of the market figures.
Based on reports I think Veach and Andy believe he can get better especially in year 2.

It’s bizarre that people bring up Eric Fisher bc this is literally the same situation. Fisher was paid as a top 10 tackle. He had cap hits as a top 3 tackle multiple years.

Was Fisher a top 5 LT? Absolutely not. Was he a top 10 tackle? Maybe but honestly I’d say fringe top 10.

But the Chiefs knew 3 things:

1. He was reliable
2. He was an above average LT that was getting better each year
3. Replacing him would be extremely difficult

It’s the same thing to me. And people getting on Brown Jr bc PFF has him rated as the 14th best LT is pretty interesting bc Patrick did that man no favors. Oh hey Myles Garrett is beating him in his first game with Patrick! Well..yeah.
Oh he’s getting beat in the Titans game! Okay who didn’t look horrific that game outside of Nick Bolton?

It’s pretty silly. I expect him to improve this year and be similar reliable LT that gets better each year like Fisher was.
[Reply]
O.city 09:45 AM 06-01-2022
There's something to be said about having a foundational position like LT locked down with an at worst competent solid player for the long haul that you know what you're getting.
[Reply]
mabbott 11:58 AM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Based on reports I think Veach and Andy believe he can get better especially in year 2.

It’s bizarre that people bring up Eric Fisher bc this is literally the same situation. Fisher was paid as a top 10 tackle. He had cap hits as a top 3 tackle multiple years.

Was Fisher a top 5 LT? Absolutely not. Was he a top 10 tackle? Maybe but honestly I’d say fringe top 10.

But the Chiefs knew 3 things:

1. He was reliable
2. He was an above average LT that was getting better each year
3. Replacing him would be extremely difficult

It’s the same thing to me. And people getting on Brown Jr bc PFF has him rated as the 14th best LT is pretty interesting bc Patrick did that man no favors. Oh hey Myles Garrett is beating him in his first game with Patrick! Well..yeah.
Oh he’s getting beat in the Titans game! Okay who didn’t look horrific that game outside of Nick Bolton?

It’s pretty silly. I expect him to improve this year and be similar reliable LT that gets better each year like Fisher was.
To be honest, had Fisher not been injured, we could have won back to back Super Bowls. He like CEH gets a lot of flack because of where he was drafted compared to how he performed. Was he a #1 overall pick... nope but we needed a LT badly and that draft class was horrible.

I am all for signing Brown and Veach has been smart with most of the contracts completed. I can see why they would put huge years at the end to add bragging rights for Brown as it seems that he needs the respect validation after the Ravens.

I agree that I think he will get better every year; however, he has a higher ceiling than Fisher due to his athleticism. He still needs an agent, so we will be over hear posting conjecture because there is no football!
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:02 PM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by hawkchief:
I'd find a way to move on from OBJ after this year. He's overweight and slow and puts Pat at far too much risk for my liking. Certainly not worth top dollar at a key position. Not impressed with his me-first attitude and the way he's handled the whole contract/position situation. Makes me think he'll get his $$ and become an even bigger, fatter headache than he's been so far. Bye!
No No No we can't. We have to make him the highest paid because he's already here. No chance we could ever find better next year like the other 22 teams did that have a better LT.
[Reply]
Shaid 12:49 PM 06-01-2022
He's a mid-tier LT who is better at run blocking than pass pro. We have capable run blockers in the middle of the line, we need our LT to be top tier pass pro to protect the franchise QB. If we were a run heavy team, I'd get it. We aren't. We have an elite QB and the primary job of the LT is protecting him. That's why I say he's really more of a RT because he is. I don't want to waste top LT money on a guy who is only average at protection. Tag him and get his replacement next year.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:03 PM 06-01-2022
So there are no good LT’s in FA next year h less you think that’s DJ Humphries.

The 2023 draft has one, yes one, tackle ranked as a top 20 prospect.

https://www.sportingnews.com/hk/nfl/...imwsmced73bpu0

So it’s an incredibly weak year to look for one. But hey let’s trade Brown Jr anyway and use more money on a huge risk.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 01:03 PM 06-01-2022
If you have a ‘solid’ LT and he’s got room to improve, he’s only 26 and the cap hasn’t exploded yet (as we all know it will), you pay him now reasonably why you can.

I think it’s funny that people are worried about giving him ‘top LT money’ knowing what the cap is about to do. In 2-3 years, what Brown will be making will be a fucking bargain compared to some of the LT contracts that will be handed out. And that’s assuming he’s only ‘solid’.

If he improves and becomes an elite LT, then the Chiefs will have the fucking bargain of the century for what they’ll be paying Mahomes blind side protector.

Bottom line: he’s good enough already, you pay him now while you still can affordably.

Veach is no idiot. He understands the cap and what’s about to happen.

Do it NOW.
[Reply]
Sofa King 01:14 PM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
If you have a ‘solid’ LT and he’s got room to improve, he’s only 26 and the cap hasn’t exploded yet (as we all know it will), you pay him now reasonably why you can.

I think it’s funny that people are worried about giving him ‘top LT money’ knowing what the cap is about to do. In 2-3 years, what Brown will be making will be a ****ing bargain compared to some of the LT contracts that will be handed out. And that’s assuming he’s only ‘solid’.

If he improves and becomes an elite LT, then the Chiefs will have the ****ing bargain of the century for what they’ll be paying Mahomes blind side protector.

Bottom line: he’s good enough already, you pay him now while you still can affordably.

Do it NOW.
This
[Reply]
Shaid 01:21 PM 06-01-2022

I think it’s funny that people are worried about giving him ‘top LT money’ knowing what the cap is about to do. In 2-3 years, what Brown will be making will be a fucking bargain compared to some of the LT contracts that will be handed out. And that’s assuming he’s only ‘solid’.

If he improves and becomes an elite LT, then the Chiefs will have the fucking bargain of the century for what they’ll be paying Mahomes blind side protector.

Do it NOW.
The only reason I wouldn't be too upset is because we know what the cap will do. Brown does as well though which is why he didn't do an extension right away last year. If he wanted top 5 money, it wouldn't bother me as much. He wants highest paid lineman money. I have trouble getting behind that.
[Reply]
srvy 01:38 PM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by mabbott:
To be honest, had Fisher not been injured, we could have won back to back Super Bowls. He like CEH gets a lot of flack because of where he was drafted compared to how he performed. Was he a #1 overall pick... nope but we needed a LT badly and that draft class was horrible.

I am all for signing Brown and Veach has been smart with most of the contracts completed. I can see why they would put huge years at the end to add bragging rights for Brown as it seems that he needs the respect validatihe has a higher ceiling than Fisher due to. his athleticism He still needs an ageon after the Ravens.

I agree that I think he will get better every year; however, nt, so we will be over hear posting conjecture because there is no football!

[Reply]
-King- 01:43 PM 06-01-2022

Do it NOW.
Ok now use that same logic if we actually pay him what he's worth. Even more cap space available and even bigger bargain if he does become elite. But a fair contract if he stays where he is.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 02:59 PM 06-01-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
Ok now use that same logic if we actually pay him what he's worth. Even more cap space available and even bigger bargain if he does become elite. But a fair contract if he stays where he is.
You’re living in fantasy world. That’s not how contracts work for top half guys. Next guy up at the ‘prime’ positions gets the new best big contract . . . . until the next guy does.

Brown is in the process of hiring an agent and is coming off 3 straight Pro Bowl seasons. You think his new agent is gonna say ‘well, PFF has him only rated as a Top 15 tackle, so despite his 3 straight PB trips, we’re just gonna ask for a Top 5 to Top 10 salary. Obviously that’s stupid and no one (with a brain, anyway) would do that.

Let’s say, hypothetically, you let Brown walk after this year, draft a tackle in next years draft and he becomes what Brown is in a couple years. Guess what? When he’s at Browns level, you’ll be paying him more than you would have been paying Brown at that same time after his rookie deal is extended.

Let’s say the drafted LT becomes ‘elite’. Then 3 years from now HE’LL be setting the market for LT’s at 35+ mil. per year, when you could have been paying Brown 25 mil. for solid to possibly elite (if Brown continues to improve) for the same years. That’s just not smart business.

Veach knows this. He’s not an idiot.

There’s a reason the Chiefs have decided to go ahead and extend him ASAP.

As they should . . . . .
[Reply]
Page 33 of 343
« First < 232930313233 343536374383133 > Last »
Up