ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3280 of 3903
« First < 2280278031803230327032763277327832793280 32813282328332843290333033803780 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 08:12 PM 12-09-2020
https://twitter.com/kimberlyblumen1/...688621568?s=21

Good breakdown from an allergist
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:18 PM 12-09-2020
What Has Lockdown Done to Us?

Extended social isolation can have serious health implications, from heart disease and dementia to depression and death. During the pandemic, our diets and lifestyles got worse, increasing our vulnerability to the very disease that isolation is meant to help address

Our mental health suffers, too. The psychological effects of loneliness are a health risk comparable with risk obesity or smoking. Anxiety and depression have spiked since lockdown orders went into effect. The weeks immediately following them saw nearly an 18 percent jump in overdose deaths and, as of last month, more than 40 states had reported increases. One in four young adults age 18 to 25 reported seriously considering suicide within the 30-day window of a recent study. Experts fear that suicides may increase; for young Americans, these concerns are even more acute. Calls to domestic violence hotlines have soared. America’s elderly are dying from the isolation that was meant to keep them safe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/o...isolation.html
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:31 PM 12-09-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Thousands die from drug abuse, depression, and poverty. Why aren't you starting 1000 posts about that?
we have had this discussion. You care about this? What’s your problem? Don’t you know there is kids with cancer? Starving families? Homeless? Etc.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 08:37 PM 12-09-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Indian Chief, if you're still around -

Have you seen any success with the monoclonal antibodies that were approved?
Not first hand, no, but full disclosure -- back in April & May our inpatient census was around 50% COVID positive patients. Many of those were severe. Right now our % of COVID patients is under 10%. Near the end of the summer we had days with no COVID admissions at all. The majority of current cases are mild to moderate with very short inpatient stays.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:07 PM 12-09-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
3,200 deaths and 225,000 new cases reported today. Hopefully still backlog.
You must never leave the house
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:10 PM 12-09-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
What Has Lockdown Done to Us?

Extended social isolation can have serious health implications, from heart disease and dementia to depression and death. During the pandemic, our diets and lifestyles got worse, increasing our vulnerability to the very disease that isolation is meant to help address

Our mental health suffers, too. The psychological effects of loneliness are a health risk comparable with risk obesity or smoking. Anxiety and depression have spiked since lockdown orders went into effect. The weeks immediately following them saw nearly an 18 percent jump in overdose deaths and, as of last month, more than 40 states had reported increases. One in four young adults age 18 to 25 reported seriously considering suicide within the 30-day window of a recent study. Experts fear that suicides may increase; for young Americans, these concerns are even more acute. Calls to domestic violence hotlines have soared. America’s elderly are dying from the isolation that was meant to keep them safe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/o...isolation.html
Dinger doesn't give a fuck about mental health, poverty, or drug abuse...only covid
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:19 PM 12-09-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
So I guess I am a dumb ass enlighten me, I understood that this delivery system hadn’t been used before?
The delivery system is the rate-limiting approach, not the mRNA approach. mRNA is a small, simple set of genetic instructions, but as such, it's fragile. The difficulty in drug development of these vaccines comes from being able to introduce them into the cell without damaging or destroying them or initiating an immune response to soon. That's why they are kept at such cold temperatures, and that's why they are protected by liposomal formulations and that's why they tweaked the mRNA.

Here's how it works:

You inject the vaccine into the upper arm. The mRNA complex enters the cell, but not the nucleus (which means it can't hijack or otherwise interfere with your DNA--it's not a retrovirus, and the people worried about this have no idea what they are talking about). In the cytoplasm of the cell, a ribosome reads the instructions on the mRNA and translates this into a protein--in this case, a spike protein. The spike protein is made and is then carried to the outside of the cell.

Your immune system recognizes this spike protein (an antigen) as foreign and initiates an immune response. The antibodies formed neutralize the spike protein.

In the future, if you are exposed to SARS-CoV-2, your body's immune system will recognize the spike protein on the virus, quickly deploy neutralizing antibodies, and clear the infection before a viral reservoir can be established with around 95% efficacy.

It does not change your DNA
It does not make systemic alterations to the cellular structure of your body
There is absolutely no reason to believe long term effects will occur from the introduction of a simple set of coding instructions. Titin is the largest protein in the human body with a size of approximately 3000 kDa. The spike protein is 200 kDa.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:21 PM 12-09-2020
For our next worldwide project we should work on a vaccination to prevent poverty. That would be great to have.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:52 AM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
we have had this discussion. You care about this? What’s your problem? Don’t you know there is kids with cancer? Starving families? Homeless? Etc.
I've given money and time to kids with cancer. I've given food to starving families and shelter to homeless people.

Or I could spend my time on a message board acting holier-than-thou about it instead.

You know, like you do.

I mean if you're SO concerned about people's health, high fructose corn syrup in this country kills millions and contributes to a few of the most common COVID comorbidities outside of age, like diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.

Why don't you have a 1000 posts telling everyone here how they're destroying America because they refuse to give up Mt. Dew?

And yes, that's a rhetorical question.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:39 AM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
COVID is a public health issue that can be minimized by very simple measures that people willingly choose not to adopt
Obesity is a public health issue that can be minimized by very simple measures that people willingly choose not to adopt.

But I'll be damned if they aren't wearing a mask in between bites of their Big Mac and gulps from their 44oz. Coca-Cola.
[Reply]
Fish 01:50 AM 12-10-2020
Obesity is a public health issue that can be minimized by very simple measures that people willingly choose not to adopt.
Obesity is not contagious...
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:52 AM 12-10-2020
And just to be clear, I'm not overtly trying to pick a fight here, I'm just making a point.

I've made it to BRC before but he apparently doesn't want to understand it.

For sure, there are some people for which this is about science. Or human decency. For a lot more, it has nothing to do with altruism. It has everything to do with political expediency or the ability to feel morally or intellectually superior.

That happens A LOT on this thread right here on CP and if that's what helps people cope with COVID, I guess I can understand that.

What I can't understand is the need to try and hide behind the facade of actually caring about fellow human beings when that's not what this is about at all. If it was, all of the other issues we have wouldn't be ignored.

Some people just can't resist the lure of the soapbox.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:54 AM 12-10-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Obesity is not contagious...
It costs the economy billions a year, a cost we all bear whether we are obese or not.
[Reply]
Fish 02:06 AM 12-10-2020
It costs the economy billions a year, a cost we all bear whether we are obese or not.
Sure, but the cost of obesity doesn't shut down the economy either. We're dealing with a completely new situation. This issue prevents people from going to work, which obesity does not.
[Reply]
2112 04:34 AM 12-10-2020
Does anybody have any factual information on what the % of somebody who already had Covid getting Covid again? How many people have gotten it a second time?
[Reply]
Page 3280 of 3903
« First < 2280278031803230327032763277327832793280 32813282328332843290333033803780 > Last »
Up