View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 325 of 343
« First < 225275315321322323324325 326327328329335 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:37 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
A week 1 starter at RT still leaves us without a week 1 starter at LT if we let Brown walk. I honestly hope Kinnard is the greatest LT that has ever played the game, but I'm not exactly holding out hope there. Again, I'm glad that Beach is the one making these decisions and not me (or, honestly, anyone else).
And that's exactly why we shouldn't be so eager to move on from OBJ.

Draft your OT. Draft one in the first round for all I care.

Still doesn't answer your OT questions in the short or long term if you let OBJ walk. So at worst you tag OBJ and bring him back, draft an OT and if that draft pick looks like a guy who can be a long-term starter at OT, you play him at RT in year one and maaaaaybe let OBJ walk next season, move the draft pick over to LT and address RT the following season.

You don't rip your OT position apart in a single offseason especially when you JUST re-built said OT situation 2 seasons ago.
[Reply]
irafreak 04:51 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Razaele:
If you're going to the Super Bowl with that player at the most important position on the line, you have to conclude that he's good enough to get to the Super Bowl with... right?
Does that mean we should re sign Andrew wiley? He helped get us to the superbowl
[Reply]
JPH83 05:06 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And that's exactly why we shouldn't be so eager to move on from OBJ.

Draft your OT. Draft one in the first round for all I care.

Still doesn't answer your OT questions in the short or long term if you let OBJ walk. So at worst you tag OBJ and bring him back, draft an OT and if that draft pick looks like a guy who can be a long-term starter at OT, you play him at RT in year one and maaaaaybe let OBJ walk next season, move the draft pick over to LT and address RT the following season.

You don't rip your OT position apart in a single offseason especially when you JUST re-built said OT situation 2 seasons ago.
I think tag and draft OT remains the most likely outcome. Is OBJ that much different from the guy we saw earlier in the year? He's good enough to get very good money, but I think we all agreed you can't pay market leading money for him. Tag him, draft a guy and see where we are in a year. And the point re tearing down the OT rebuild is that it quite clearly wasn't a rebuild that completed the job. So we are where we are
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:28 PM 01-31-2023
Dodged a bullet here. Yet another season where he couldn't even make it through the Conference Championships game without needing a boot and crutches afterwards, and now he's contemplating retirement.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/4...edium=referral
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:37 PM 01-31-2023
I think everyone expected the out years of a Williams deal to be pretty ugly.

But I dont think most expected them to get here quite this soon.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:40 PM 01-31-2023
Still has damn near 100 million on the table and he's openly flirting with retirement. I do genuinely feel bad for the dude but his body just can't handle the workload.
[Reply]
old_geezer 09:46 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by irafreak:
Does that mean we should re sign Andrew wiley? He helped get us to the superbowl
Hey, he showed some great dance moves in the Cinci game (wave your hands in the air like you just don't care).
[Reply]
raybec 4 09:50 PM 01-31-2023
IMO OBJ will get in the neighborhood of three guaranteed years at top 5 money with 2 more voidable years behind it. I think he'll sign that and the team can live with it. It was all about guaranteed years and dollars last offseason IIRC.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:52 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Still has damn near 100 million on the table and he's openly flirting with retirement. I do genuinely feel bad for the dude but his body just can't handle the workload.
I mean he's entering his age 35 season. And he's played 29 of 34 regular season games (all the playoff games, right?)

He's also been, in that span, the best LT in the league by FAR. He's an amazing player and he's had a long career. It's not THAT surprising that he's considering retirement but I don't think it's serious. Yet.

I think he's probably looking at getting that 2024 salary guaranteed then he'll walk away after it's over. That'd be about 4 years and $80 million from SF. I'd say thats easily a worthwhile investment for them.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:01 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I mean he's entering his age 35 season. And he's played 29 of 34 regular season games (all the playoff games, right?)

He's also been, in that span, the best LT in the league by FAR. He's an amazing player and he's had a long career. It's not THAT surprising that he's considering retirement but I don't think it's serious. Yet.

I think he's probably looking at getting that 2024 salary guaranteed then he'll walk away after it's over. That'd be about 4 years and $80 million from SF. I'd say thats easily a worthwhile investment for them.
He sure seems to lose effectiveness the deeper into the Playoffs he gets. The 49ers OL as a whole got absolutely wrecked by the Rams in the NFC Championship game last year and he just looked like another body out there getting mauled, not the best LT in the league. Kind of hard to count the absolute drubbing the Eagles just put on them since the QB literally couldn't throw for a large span of the game but it wasn't looking all that hot to start either.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:04 PM 01-31-2023
PFF kind of bears that out too. In both Conference Championship games his grade absolutely craters. 5 pressures allowed on 32 passing attempts against the Rams and 2 pressures allowed on 21 passing attempts against the Eagles.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 10:06 PM 01-31-2023
I’ve gone back and forth on OBJ a hundred times. I think I’ve settled on my opinion (which will probably change again I’m sure).

I think the right call is to extend him IF it isn’t too ridiculous to do so. I’m far from being a cap expert, so if Veach extends I’ll assume it’s a good enough deal for us.

Upgrading RT is both doable and a priority. I like a RT early in the draft (first 2 rounds, depending on what’s there). Maybe you grab someone who can eventually move over to LT.

It’s really hard to picture us upgrading both tackles, especially when you consider where we’ll be drafting.

So that’s where I’m at, but I’ll just trust whatever Veach does. He won’t risk Mahomes’s health and longevity.
[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 10:15 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by mkp785:
He's decent, he doesn't want "decent" money. He wants top 3 money. Is he a top 3 LT in the league?
It will only be top 3 money for a season or two at most, the next OT that signs will get more so will the one after that. Not even considering what Tunsil is about to get. I don’t see it being more than a 3 year deal anyways, by the time Creed and Trey get a deal I expect his replacement to be in-house.
[Reply]
Wilson8 10:52 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by irafreak:
Where would we be without him? He is actually supposed to be a backup guard, but we have had nobody to replace him.

Andrew Wylie had a cap hit of $1,187,500 for 2022. Think he earned his money.

Hope we can improve for 2023, but I would not be sad to see him as a backup.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:01 PM 01-31-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole1056:
It will only be top 3 money for a season or two at most, the next OT that signs will get more so will the one after that. Not even considering what Tunsil is about to get. I don’t see it being more than a 3 year deal anyways, by the time Creed and Trey get a deal I expect his replacement to be in-house.
Is there a good reason to think that Brown will agree to a structure where he can be cut after the third year without too big of a dead cap hit?

Is that what the other big name LT's have agreed to in recent contracts?
[Reply]
Page 325 of 343
« First < 225275315321322323324325 326327328329335 > Last »
Up