View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 324 of 343
« First < 224274314320321322323324 325326327328334 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:57 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
You look at a team like the Bengals. Jonah Williams isn’t that good. They need a replacement.

But they’re stuck with him bc they’re too good to draft early. Brown Jr is adequate at times, but boy when he struggles, he really struggles
OBJ is playing LT for the Bengals and Jonah Williams LT for the Chiefs (or Jackson Carman), don't you imagine the Bengals win that game?

Again, I just feel like the mistake we're making w/r/t a possible OBJ extension is considering it an overpay from dollar 1. As though OBJ has ZERO value. I mean if he signed for Taylor Decker's deal, I think you'd honestly hear shit from the NFLPA about how his lack of an agent (or whoever the hell he ends up hiring) has done a disservice to the entire PA.

Just from an objective standpoint, without speaking to scarcity on the market or specific scheme fits, OBJ has to be seen as 'worth' about $18 million in AAV on the low side when accounting for cap inflation since Decker signed his deal. Anything above that is where you start to talk about the overpay.

And at that point, you can start to go dollar for dollar in offsets by doing things like letting JJSS walk.

At a position that is so crucial and just has a paucity of guys who can physically do the job, it's an area where an 'overpay' is somewhat justifiable.

The difference at LT yesterday may well have been why we're going to the SB and Cincy isn't. Flags fly forever gentlemen and OBJ did as much as damn near anyone to hang one last night.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:57 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Razaele:
If you're going to the Super Bowl with that player at the most important position on the line, you have to conclude that he's good enough to get to the Super Bowl with... right?
Chief Fans keep saying they want him gone and to replace him with ANYONE. Well, we've seen what "anyone" gets a team like the Bengals.

I have zero issue with improving at the position and would LOVE it if Bert could do that while saving us cap room at the same time. What I DON'T understand is the thought of replacing him simply to replace him, as if their feelings are hurt by his presence.

I certainly don't want someone WORSE than him protecting Pat's blindside, but a solid chunk of Chiefs fans appear to want just that.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:59 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
OBJ is playing LT for the Bengals and Jonah Williams LT for the Chiefs (or Jackson Carman), don't you imagine the Bengals win that game?

Again, I just feel like the mistake we're making w/r/t a possible OBJ extension is considering it an overpay from dollar 1. As though OBJ has ZERO value. I mean if he signed for Taylor Decker's deal, I think you'd honestly hear shit from the NFLPA about how his lack of an agent (or whoever the hell he ends up hiring) has done a disservice to the entire PA.

Just from an objective standpoint, without speaking to scarcity on the market or specific scheme fits, OBJ has to be seen as 'worth' about $18 million in AAV on the low side when accounting for cap inflation since Decker signed his deal. Anything above that is where you start to talk about the overpay.

And at that point, you can start to go dollar for dollar in offsets by doing things like letting JJSS walk.

At a position that is so crucial and just has a paucity of guys who can physically do the job, it's an area where an 'overpay' is somewhat justifiable.

The difference at LT yesterday may well have been why we're going to the SB and Cincy isn't. Flags fly forever gentlemen and OBJ did as much as damn near anyone to hang one last night.
Yup. One could also look at the Bills the previous week to see the impact of an offensive line.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 04:04 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Chief Fans keep saying they want him gone and to replace him with ANYONE. Well, we've seen what "anyone" gets a team like the Bengals.

I have zero issue with improving at the position and would LOVE it if Bert could do that while saving us cap room at the same time. What I DON'T understand is the thought of replacing him simply to replace him, as if their feelings are hurt by his presence.

I certainly don't want someone WORSE than him protecting Pat's blindside, but a solid chunk of Chiefs fans appear to want just that.
Mahomes ability is why our tackles look decent at times. They aren't.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:09 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
OBJ isn't "decent"? Seriously?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:11 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Yeah - screw anything that actually happened on the field last night; lets just make shit up instead!

You know who had the highest pass block win rate in the entire NFL this year? Yeah, the Chiefs. And no, Mahomes mobility has nothing to do with that stat. A pass block win is determined by how long the O-lineman holds his block. It's just a straight up eval of the play in question.

The Chiefs were first at a 75% win rate. The gap between them and 2nd place was 7 points. Which was the same gap as the distance between 2nd place and 15th.

Can we stop just flat making shit up when we have these discussions? There are genuine conversations to be had as to the cap math and the risks associated with overpaying for anyone. But to just make up nonsense in support of a position makes the entire conversation a waste of time.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 04:12 PM 01-30-2023

Can we stop just flat making shit up when we have these discussions? There are genuine conversations to be had as to the cap math and the risks associated with overpaying for anyone. But to just make up nonsense in support of a position makes the entire conversation a waste of time.
When you don't know shit, you just make it up.
[Reply]
mkp785 04:16 PM 01-30-2023
OBJ isn't "decent"? Seriously?
He's decent, he doesn't want "decent" money. He wants top 3 money. Is he a top 3 LT in the league?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 04:17 PM 01-30-2023

I'm a bit neutral on Brown. I think he is likely to be paid elite money by some team and I'm not sure if that is worth it to KC if it means not extending Jones or losing other talent like Sneed.

But sure, being in the market for a starting LT is hard. Brown is obviously going to leverage that...

Of course, the real question that we don't know the answer yet is what Master Veach thinks. But we do know they seemed a long ways apart this last off season.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:18 PM 01-30-2023
Yeah - screw anything that actually happened on the field last night; lets just make shit up instead!

You know who had the highest pass block win rate in the entire NFL this year? Yeah, the Chiefs. And no, Mahomes mobility has nothing to do with that stat. A pass block win is determined by how long the O-lineman holds his block. It's just a straight up eval of the play in question.

The Chiefs were first at a 75% win rate. The gap between them and 2nd place was 7 points. Which was the same gap as the distance between 2nd place and 15th.

I still can't figure out WHY the narrative exists. I assume it's because fans think their QB should NEVER be pressured/sacked, while simultaneously believing their d-line should ALWAYS get sacks. But who knows.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:19 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by mkp785:
He's decent, he doesn't want "decent" money. He wants top 3 money. Is he a top 3 LT in the league?
Probably not, but that's not at all germane to whether or not he played well last night.
[Reply]
Eleazar 04:20 PM 01-30-2023

If you want to see "anyone but OBJ" I guess you could look at the Tampa Bay Super Bowl. That's what "any old Joe would be better" would land you.

If we're going to invest a pick in the tackle position in the draft, we should be targeting someone who has a chance to be a week 1 starter at RT. That might be within range of where our 1st or 2nd will be, and it would benefit the offense more than shaking up both positions and starting from scratch with mid-round dart throws.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:21 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I'm a bit neutral on Brown. I think he is likely to be paid elite money by some team and I'm not sure if that is worth it to KC if it means not extending Jones or losing other talent like Sneed.

But sure, being in the market for a starting LT is hard. Brown is obviously going to leverage that...

Of course, the real question that we don't know the answer yet is what Master Veach thinks. But we do know they seemed a long ways apart this last off season.
I'm honestly very glad it IS his decision and believe he will make the right decision; he typically does.

I don't, OTOH, understand bagging on OBJ just to bag on him.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:24 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Razaele:
If you want to see "anyone but OBJ" I guess you could look at the Tampa Bay Super Bowl. That's what "any old Joe would be better" would land you.

If we're going to invest a pick in the tackle position in the draft, we should be targeting someone who has a chance to be a week 1 starter at RT. That might be within range of where our 1st or 2nd will be, and it would benefit the offense more than shaking up both positions and starting from scratch with mid-round dart throws.
A week 1 starter at RT still leaves us without a week 1 starter at LT if we let Brown walk. I honestly hope Kinnard is the greatest LT that has ever played the game, but I'm not exactly holding out hope there. Again, I'm glad that Beach is the one making these decisions and not me (or, honestly, anyone else).
[Reply]
Eleazar 04:33 PM 01-30-2023
A week 1 starter at RT still leaves us without a week 1 starter at LT if we let Brown walk. I honestly hope Kinnard is the greatest LT that has ever played the game, but I'm not exactly holding out hope there. Again, I'm glad that Beach is the one making these decisions and not me (or, honestly, anyone else).
Yeah, it's all a function of who's available and what your other needs are.

It is entirely possible that the wisest thing to do for the franchise in the final analysis might be to pay OBJ more than he really deserves and just move on.
[Reply]
Page 324 of 343
« First < 224274314320321322323324 325326327328334 > Last »
Up