ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 323 of 727
« First < 223273313319320321322323 324325326327333373423 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
Bambi 01:44 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by frazod:
Hopefully the KU game will be televised. I'd hate for your to miss a second of them getting the shit kicked out of them by [insert random opponent's name here].
It is on ESPN2 at 8 o'clock for some reason. :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 01:45 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Pants:
:-)

Yeah, we're riding the coattails of Oklahoma all the way to another curbstomp on national TV.
For some reason I suddenly remembered the student-faculty rugby game from Meaning of Life..... :-)
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:52 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Wickedson:
CBB is poised to grow even more with the NBA lockout imo.

An $11 billion deal for a single tournament isn't a bad start.
By "single tournament", I assume you mean 14 years worth of tournaments.
[Reply]
HemiEd 01:56 PM 10-13-2011
I hope they rated it R. Woman and children should be warned.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:57 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
Word on the street too is that TCU's AD is s real ballbuster & def. wouldn't put up w shit or be a puppet to UT.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Ignoring the fact that what you said has absolutely nothing to do with my post, I'm less than convinced that. TCU is going to waltz in and start throwing its weight around.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:58 PM 10-13-2011
I still don't understand how ppl continue to just not get it. Missouri and karate fans claim nobody cares about basketball. This is simply untrue. If nobody cared about it there wouldnt be a multi billion dollar contract for it. The large difference is how money is allocated to tthe schools. Basketball, as it currently stands does not make much more for any given conference. Look, football is more popular but its not a dramatic difference like there is comparing college bball to baseball. If superconferences do come to fruition, and move to their own "division"...KU will get snatched up like that. It just might be a while away until there are superconferences. Basically ND will decide when this all happens, which is why i root for their failure
[Reply]
eazyb81 02:06 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by BWillie007:
I still don't understand how ppl continue to just not get it. Missouri and karate fans claim nobody cares about basketball. This is simply untrue. If nobody cared about it there wouldnt be a multi billion dollar contract for it. The large difference is how money is allocated to tthe schools. Basketball, as it currently stands does not make much more for any given conference. Look, football is more popular but its not a dramatic difference like there is comparing college bball to baseball. If superconferences do come to fruition, and move to their own "division"...KU will get snatched up like that. It just might be a while away until there are superconferences. Basically ND will decide when this all happens, which is why i root for their failure
1. I haven't seen anyone, let alone a Mizzou or "karate" fan, claim that no one cares about basketball. A couple people have said that basketball is a secondary sport compared to football, which is true and everyone freely admits this.

2. Who do you think snatches up ku if it goes to superconferences? I think ku has a decent shot but I don't think it is a guarantee like you claim. You really only fit two conferences: PAC and Big Ten. PAC is probably a 50% chance, depending on if Texas could go without bringing a little brother. Big Ten seems like a 20-25% chance but they really would like to go East. ACC is a pipedream, it just doesn't work geographically.
[Reply]
SPATCH 02:07 PM 10-13-2011
dude. grab your rape whistles.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 02:16 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by the_spatula:

[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 02:19 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by :
2. Who do you think snatches up ku if it goes to superconferences?
Obviously Karate University will snatch up KU. DUH!
[Reply]
Spott 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM
This message has been deleted by Spott.
|Zach| 02:37 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by the_spatula:
lol
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:39 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Spott:
They should change the name of this thread to the KU/MU/KSU rehashed 1000 time arguments thread.
Pretty much.

I'm hopeful Mizzou does move to the SEC. Then all these dumbass arguments and the rivalry ends.
[Reply]
Saul Good 02:41 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by BWillie007:
Plenty of people care about basketball, especially during the tournament. Nobody has said otherwise.

What people have said, and correctly at that, is that basketball has very little impact on the landscape of realignment. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

The first 2 schools to move were Nebraska and Colorado. Basketball schools? I think not.

aTm went to the SEC. Basketball school?

TCU went to the Big East and now the Big XII. Basketball school?

Syracuse and Pitt were in the best basketball conference known to man. They left that conference for the sake of their football teams that were withering away in the Big East despite the fact that their basketball teams flourished.

Mizzou, Rutgers, and WVU are all being rumored to join new conferences. None of them are basketball schools.

If you think that this isn't all about football, its because you are choosing to ignore reality. The list above is almost comical in how obvious it is that basketball doesnt matter.
[Reply]
Pants 02:43 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by Saul Good:
Plenty of people care about basketball, especially during the tournament. Nobody has said otherwise.

What people have said, and correctly at that, is that basketball has very little impact on the landscape of realignment. I don't know how you could argue otherwise.

The first 2 schools to move were Nebraska and Colorado. Basketball schools? I think not.

aTm went to the SEC. Basketball school?

TCU went to the Big East and now the Big XII. Basketball school?

Syracuse and Pitt were in the best basketball conference known to man. They left that conference for the sake of their football teams that were withering away in the Big East despite the fact that their basketball teams flourished.

Mizzou, Rutgers, and WVU are all being rumored to join new conferences. None of them are basketball schools.

If you think that this isn't all about football, its because you are choosing to ignore reality. The list above is almost comical in how obvious how little basketball matters.
I know his posts are hard to read. I think he already knows all this is driven by FB and tries to explain it by saying that NCAA takes all the BBall profits away from schools unlike BCS. I'm not sure how correct he is.
[Reply]
DeezNutz 02:43 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58:
Pretty much.

I'm hopeful Mizzou does move to the SEC. Then all these dumbass arguments and the rivalry ends.
No doubt. Verifiable proof that we're better and no one wants the other universities.
[Reply]
Page 323 of 727
« First < 223273313319320321322323 324325326327333373423 > Last »
Up