ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 185
« First < 222829303132 333435364282132 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The George Karlaftis Thread*****
Dante84 09:16 PM 04-28-2022
More to come!

What are the #Chiefs getting in George Karlaftis?

Had an NFC Personnel executive tell me “He reminds me of J.J. Watt, when Watt was coming out. An explosive and versatile playmaker who has a high motor and can line up at 3,5, or 7. Very strong kid” #NFL #NFLDraft pic.twitter.com/5qM3g6OrMr

— Matt Lombardo (@MattLombardoNFL) April 29, 2022

George Karlaftis was drafted with pick 30 of round 1 in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 9.23 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 116 out of 1503 DE from 1987 to 2022. https://t.co/iXXBvnoFJc #RAS #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/eZ9XjNRDUB

— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 29, 2022

“I was sitting there the whole night hoping we’d be able to get you.”

Karlaftis gets the call �� pic.twitter.com/DRGBDekvnl

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) April 29, 2022

[Reply]
Brody Wa 03:06 PM 04-30-2022
Does anybody have the nickname Zeus ?
[Reply]
Best22 03:09 PM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by Brody Wa:
Does anybody have the nickname Zeus ?
Kelce
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:27 PM 04-30-2022
Karlaftis to me is the biggest wildcard of this draft. Is he going to be a solid 6-8 sack DE? Is he going to be a double digit game wrecker? Or is he going to be a dud that the Arrowhead Pride and RGR guys think? I assume he'll be decent against the run.

I'll be very very interested to see if he flashes at all in the pass rush against NFL RTs during the first few games of 2022.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:34 PM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Karlaftis to me is the biggest wildcard of this draft. Is he going to be a solid 6-8 sack DE? Is he going to be a double digit game wrecker? Or is he going to be a dud that the Arrowhead Pride and RGR guys think? I assume he'll be decent against the run.

I'll be very very interested to see if he flashes at all in the pass rush against NFL RTs during the first few games of 2022.
It all deals what George "Yogurt" Karlaftis grows into, if he can be a gamewrecker DT or JAG DE.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:14 PM 04-30-2022
I think if we can eventually get Ryan Kerrigan production out of him it will be a great pick.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 09:25 PM 04-30-2022

Well, you know how I feel.

At DE in a 4-3 I truly believe he will struggle against NFL tackles. After watching more video, sometimes he lined up 5-6 outside of the tackle and used his quick first step to get into the back field.

At times when he lined up in a more traditional spot, he only got to the QB after 3.5 seconds because the QB held the ball and had to move in the pocket, and the tackle didn't know which way to push him.

There were times when he just beat the tackle clean, but not as often as you would think for the number two pressure guy in the FBS.

But, he can definitely be coached up, and his motor and effort are never in question.

He seems like he would be more suited to being a DE in a 3-4.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chenal ends up being a better pass rusher coming off the edge, if he ever gets a chance anyway.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Aspengc8 06:17 AM 05-01-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
Well, you know how I feel.

At DE in a 4-3 I truly believe he will struggle against NFL tackles. After watching more video, sometimes he lined up 5-6 outside of the tackle and used his quick first step to get into the back field.

At times when he lined up in a more traditional spot, he only got to the QB after 3.5 seconds because the QB held the ball and had to move in the pocket, and the tackle didn't know which way to push him.

There were times when he just beat the tackle clean, but not as often as you would think for the number two pressure guy in the FBS.

But, he can definitely be coached up, and his motor and effort are never in question.

He seems like he would be more suited to being a DE in a 3-4.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chenal ends up being a better pass rusher coming off the edge, if he ever gets a chance anyway.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I think he is similar to Ingram, uses his hands very well and plays the run well. He played in the Big10, which is very run focused. I do agree and think he can and will be coached up. He has a pretty solid bull/swim. I don't think he will be the next Bosa but can be very solid. We could really use Ingram on a 1 year deal with this guy.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:54 AM 05-01-2022

Somewhere between option one and option two above, I expect.

With his size, his athleticism, and his motor I'd say option three is pretty unlikely. This isn't a kid that's going to try to coast. Unless he gets hurt, he's at LEAST going to be a high effort complimentary pass rusher.

And don't forget, the kid is 21 and only been playing football for a few years. Lotta room for growth still.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 08:11 AM 05-01-2022
It's wild how players can vary in how they are valued. George is one of those guys. PFF loved him ranking him as the #10 overall player in this draft. It was graded as an elite selection at #30. Then you have the guys at Arrowhead pride who wouldn't even put a B+ grade on him.

I started rolling with PFF's Big Board when they had a high grade on Nick Bolton when few others did. They had him as a late first round selection for a long time and that's how I found him. (I'm a MIZ fan so he grabbed my attention right off the bat.) It's fascinating to watch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arr...arlaftis-at-30
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 08:19 AM 05-01-2022
Big George reminds me a lot of this guy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ocvufip3lQ&t=90s
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 11:17 AM 05-01-2022
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
Big George reminds me a lot of this guy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ocvufip3lQ&t=90s
Not as a quick or explosive, Karlaftis is more Allen Bailey than Jared.

Bailey was a natural 290 pound guy
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:24 AM 05-01-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So I typically try REALLY hard to find guys who are a bit under the radar when making comps, especially as the rounds progress.

Comparing someone like Karlaftis to Allen or JJ Watt is nuts. Karlaftis isn't going to be DPOY or go to the HoF, fellas. I'd put just about any amount of money on that. So let's try to find something reasonable here.

I think I've come up with a couple I really like.

Reasonable 75th percentile projection: Jabaal Sheard. Sheard played for a decade and was a capable 6-8 sack sort of guy most years. A little shorter armed, won mostly with power (especially as he aged) and wasn't the most bendy dude you'd see out there. He was never a superstar but he was always a pretty damn good player and someone you were happy to have on your roster.

Bottom 25% projection: Chauncey Davis. Same kind of player, just wasn't as good at it. Played 100 NFL games, started a couple dozen of them. Obviously this would be a disappointing outcome and I think Sheard is the far more likely scenario, but it's not as though a 100 games played floor is a disaster of a pick. When that's something of a worst case scenario for a guy, that's pretty solid.
So the KCSN draft guide ALSO compared him to Jabaal Sheard.

That’s fucking bizarre. Seriously - I thought that was a deeeeeeep pull.

And fellas, that would be pretty good. I’d be alright with that.
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:32 AM 05-01-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So the KCSN draft guide ALSO compared him to Jabaal Sheard.

That’s fucking bizarre. Seriously - I thought that was a deeeeeeep pull.

And fellas, that would be pretty good. I’d be alright with that.
Just for more context, Sheard lost his starting job in year 4 and then was allowed to sign with a different team.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 11:38 AM 05-01-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Not as a quick or explosive, Karlaftis is more Allen Bailey than Jared.

Bailey was a natural 290 pound guy
Go back and look at Big George again, man. I actually think he's more explosive than Allen. However, Allen played with more length and strength. He was two inches taller after all. (I also like the JJ Watt comparison but Watt is almost 290.)This kid is going to be one heck of a player.

Not to mention Big George was the only high level prospect on that Purdue defense, unlike Walker and Hutchinson who both played on elite defenses. Big George was still highly productive regardless. I think the Chiefs got a gem here.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:02 PM 05-01-2022
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Just for more context, Sheard lost his starting job in year 4 and then was allowed to sign with a different team.
They switched to a 3-4 and tried to make him a stand-up OLB.

I wouldn’t expect Karlaftis to make that transition well either.

He went on to be a significant contributor to the Patriots ‘16 title team and then starter for a stout Indy defense as a 4-3 edge.

1/2 the first round won’t have as good a career as Sheard has had. At least.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 185
« First < 222829303132 333435364282132 > Last »
Up