ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 34
« First < 222829303132 3334 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Wanya Morris Thread*****
Dante84 08:43 PM 04-28-2023
More to come!

Wanya Morris was drafted with pick 92 of round 3 in the 2023 draft class. He scored a 8.35 #RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 215 out of 1294 OT from 1987 to 2023. https://t.co/KnzoH8NdfS pic.twitter.com/KZgxtMNcfb

— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 29, 2023

Pick 95: Wanya Morris OT OU

The competition at RT isn't eye popping but it may be enough to feel comfortable to not reach. Adding another hat to the ring may be the move.

Morris has the length and natural movement the Chiefs often look for at OT. Clean up his hands & thrive pic.twitter.com/tDDr7f22NC

— Matt Lane (@Matty_KCSN) April 24, 2023

[Reply]
TheGuardian 03:29 PM 01-08-2024
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
We're probably not going to the Super Bowl for any number of reasons.

I watched the game. And I don't have to make wild exaggerations and make up stuff to prop up my argument.

As DJ posted, statistically, if you want to weigh the Raiders game heavily and judge on that, yeah, he's a real problem. Of course, the entire offensive line had their worst game as a group. So, take that however you want, I guess.

Other than that admittedly poor game, he's been serviceable. This is a fact, backed up statistics beyond just a guy who likes to call people who disagree with him dipshits on a message board's opinion.
Against top tier pass rushers he's not been serviceable. What do you think we're gonna be seeing in the playoffs?

Thanks
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:55 PM 01-08-2024
Originally Posted by TheGuardian:
I don't expect him to be the second coming of Orlando Pace, just not to get his shit pushed in on every down. Which HE DOES.

They eventually started shifting protection TO THAT SIDE against the Bengals because it was clear he couldn't do it by himself. Go watch the damn game.

I'm also not saying that he can't develop into a solid player. I am saying 100% we cannot go to the SB and win it with him starting. Facts.
Most teams shift protection. Quite a bit, in fact.

And when the strength of your OL is on the interior, you can afford to slide as needed to cover a tough rusher on one edge or the other.

You know what a team looks like who has an elite LT but doesn't shift protection at all? Ironically enough, they look like the Mike Martz era rams, with that very same Orlando Pace.

Martz was getting Warner and Bulger killed out there. And it wasn't because he didn't have talented offensive linemen - those lines were good OUTSIDE of just Pace. He simply wasn't doing anything to shift protection. He'd send out a 4-wide set with Trung Candidate in the backfield (who'd run a route) and go 5-wide slinging to get Bulger driven into the core of the earth.

I don't really care if we need to slide protections to Morris's side. That happens a ton, even plus OTs. Andy doesn't like to do it if he can avoid it, but he's still likely to do it about 1/3 of the time. And he can work around it very well when he needs to.

There's a big BIG difference between "They need to slide protection" and "he gets his shit pushed in every snap..."

The latter was the Raiders game and you can't win with that. The former is the Bengals game and you absolutely can. We have - often. As have a great deal many teams that have come before us.

The question is whether or not the Raiders game is a bizarre outlier. And if it isn't, we're fucked.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:03 PM 01-08-2024
Against top tier pass rushers he's not been serviceable. What do you think we're gonna be seeing in the playoffs?

Thanks
He was serviceable against the Bengals. He was essentially the working definition of serviceable. He was serviceable against the Packers with Preston Smith and Rashan Gary - two pretty damn good rushers. And with Kenny Clark in the middle, you can't sell out because he'll collapse your center. That's a stout matchup and he played well.

The Patriots suck, we know this. But the strength of their team is their defense and the strength of that defense is the DL. Barmore and Uche are good players.

LV was a disaster. Buffalo was fringy; would like to see him be better but he wasn't a complete pile of ass. The other games were...fine. Varying degrees of adequate.

I'd like to see Smith play instead. But if it's Morris that plays and he plays at the same level he did against Cincy, we can win with that. We need to be sharper than we've been, but that's playable.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:08 PM 01-08-2024
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
We're probably not going to the Super Bowl for any number of reasons.

I watched the game. And I don't have to make wild exaggerations and make up stuff to prop up my argument.

As DJ posted, statistically, if you want to weigh the Raiders game heavily and judge on that, yeah, he's a real problem. Of course, the entire offensive line had their worst game as a group. So, take that however you want, I guess.

Other than that admittedly poor game, he's been serviceable. This is a fact, backed up statistics beyond just a guy who likes to call people who disagree with him dipshits on a message board's opinion.
Exactly.

This isn't the best team in the AFC. It may not be the 4th best team in the AFC right now - at least I don't think they've played like they are for about 3/4 of the season.

I will say that Morris is the most likely guy to be a single weak link that blows the whole thing to hell, though. I trust most everyone else will be at/near enough their established peaks that they'll be, at worst, some contributing factor to a generally mediocre/poor effort if we end up losing.

But if there's one guy I had to pick who may just completely immolate and blow the entire team to hell and gone in the process, it would be Morris. And it's just because I've seen him do it. Toney's the other one but really we can just bury him if that happens. And even still, he may be a problem on one play in 4, at the worst.

Whereas Morris could be a guy who smothers pretty much every play we try in the crib.

That LV game will be in the back of my mind for quite a long time. It was that bad.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 04:30 PM 01-08-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Most teams shift protection. Quite a bit, in fact.

And when the strength of your OL is on the interior, you can afford to slide as needed to cover a tough rusher on one edge or the other.

You know what a team looks like who has an elite LT but doesn't shift protection at all? Ironically enough, they look like the Mike Martz era rams, with that very same Orlando Pace.

Martz was getting Warner and Bulger killed out there. And it wasn't because he didn't have talented offensive linemen - those lines were good OUTSIDE of just Pace. He simply wasn't doing anything to shift protection. He'd send out a 4-wide set with Trung Candidate in the backfield (who'd run a route) and go 5-wide slinging to get Bulger driven into the core of the earth.

I don't really care if we need to slide protections to Morris's side. That happens a ton, even plus OTs. Andy doesn't like to do it if he can avoid it, but he's still likely to do it about 1/3 of the time. And he can work around it very well when he needs to.

There's a big BIG difference between "They need to slide protection" and "he gets his shit pushed in every snap..."

The latter was the Raiders game and you can't win with that. The former is the Bengals game and you absolutely can. We have - often. As have a great deal many teams that have come before us.

The question is whether or not the Raiders game is a bizarre outlier. And if it isn't, we're ****ed.
Of course teams slide protection.

There's a difference in doing that because the defense has a guy you have to account for, or because the defensive formation calls for it or because of the fact that your left tackle is getting bulldozed every snap.
[Reply]
wachashi 04:49 PM 01-08-2024
This was on Morris, unless you’re arguing Mahomes drifted too far back.

Trey Hendrickson's 17th sack of the season is a strip sack!

��: #CINvsKC on CBS
��: Stream on #NFLPlus https://t.co/sFjqko01pD pic.twitter.com/ShLttFuYbp

— NFL (@NFL) December 31, 2023

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:57 PM 01-08-2024
Originally Posted by wachashi:
This was on Morris, unless you’re arguing Mahomes drifted too far back.

Nope - that's on Morris; got beat clean.

Not entirely sure why we had the RB on the right side for help there - Taylor's good in pass pro when he's not committing penalties and looks like he was in really nice shape there as well.

But like I said - I don't expect that Morris won't need help. He's gonna. He doesn't do a good enough job of constantly moving his feet and gets lungy with the expectation that his upper body will save him. I said this back in his first action when everyone was blaming Mahomes for the sack and I said "yeah, Mahomes is back a bit, but Morris wasn't moving his feet like he should..."

This was very similar. Morris just doesn't get deep enough in his sets sometimes. You'd like to see the team giving help to his side so that DEs have to be aware of the possibility of that chip and they don't just go screaming at his outside shoulder.

If we keep an RB in to block, it should be to Morris's side.
[Reply]
O.city 05:09 PM 01-08-2024

Not entirely sure why we had the RB on the right side for help there - Taylor's good in pass pro when he's not committing penalties and looks like he was in really nice shape there as well.

But like I said - I don't expect that Morris won't need help. He's gonna. He doesn't do a good enough job of constantly moving his feet and gets lungy with the expectation that his upper body will save him. I said this back in his first action when everyone was blaming Mahomes for the sack and I said "yeah, Mahomes is back a bit, but Morris wasn't moving his feet like he should..."

This was very similar. Morris just doesn't get deep enough in his sets sometimes. You'd like to see the team giving help to his side so that DEs have to be aware of the possibility of that chip and they don't just go screaming at his outside shoulder.

Schwartz talked about it was a predetermined thing for the RB to go that way. I'm not sure why.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:16 AM 01-09-2024
Let's be honest, we're probably drafting another guy to at least compete with Morris next year, and probably high. There's tools there but the lows are pretty damn low. It's tough because he's been up against some excellent DEs, but that's always going to be the case.
[Reply]
Kman34 07:09 AM 01-09-2024

His footwork is awful on some plays.. Don’t know if he can work that out.. Some guys are just slow.. Still think he would do better on the right side.. It would be more comfortable for him.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:05 AM 01-09-2024
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Let's be honest, we're probably drafting another guy to at least compete with Morris next year, and probably high. There's tools there but the lows are pretty damn low. It's tough because he's been up against some excellent DEs, but that's always going to be the case.
Well yeah.

I'm for taking OT's and WR's high any year, or every year.

If you hit on them occasionally, it's totally worth it.
[Reply]
O.city 08:08 AM 01-09-2024
I would always put DE's/WRs/OTs high on my board but you get yourself in a spot where you start taking guys that aren't as high of a prospect as another guy just based on positional value.

Don't let that cause you to miss out on a legit say.....safety or Lb'er.
[Reply]
Palangi 09:24 AM 01-09-2024

Thanks
Well the to pass rushers for the dolphins are all out hurt. So there is that
[Reply]
BWillie 09:53 AM 01-09-2024
I want to be worried if Morris is out but it may be a blessing in disguise. Hes been so bad I cant think anyone else we use there will be any worse.
[Reply]
JPH83 12:48 AM 01-10-2024
Originally Posted by O.city:
I would always put DE's/WRs/OTs high on my board but you get yourself in a spot where you start taking guys that aren't as high of a prospect as another guy just based on positional value.

Don't let that cause you to miss out on a legit say.....safety or Lb'er.
We could be lucky this year at WR given the talent, OTs look decent too. Also lucky given its slim pickings in FA.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 34
« First < 222829303132 3334 >
Up