ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 313 of 3903
« First < 213263303309310311312313 3143153163173233634138131313 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:23 AM 03-16-2020
So the place I work is now allowing employees and vendors from infected areas onto the campus with even a conversation after they sent out an email stating that all faculty, staff, students and visitors had to be cleared by the medical staff.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:23 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
I should also like to say that it probably doesn't matter at this point. The horse is out of the barn.

People will believe what they "want" to believe. I'm not trying to change that because I know I can't and pissing up ropes is not my idea of good times. My actual idea is simply this; there are gobs of data available and I encourage you guys to dive into that pool of information. Knowledge helps.

Things may be dire. They may not be dire. That is where we are and we have no choice other than to deal with it.

I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude. And this particular, individual dude isn't completely sold on the overall response we've seen (to date) related to this health threat.

FAX
To this let's look at some numbers. For perspective we have to maintain the assumption that the number of cases will increase along with the number of deaths. The question is how much for both?

At this point of all active cases in the us only 12 are serious\critical. That's .002%.

At this point the mortality rate is at 1.7%. That is down from 2.5% a week ago.

So while we know that more people will get diagnosed we have to hope these 2 numbers stay low or get lower.
[Reply]
Donger 11:23 AM 03-16-2020
Well, the global mortality rate of the seasonal flu is not 0.1% ... not if you use "confirmed cases" (as reported by the CDC system) as the baseline. If you do that, the mortality rate of seasonal flu is closer to 10%
You think that 10% of those who get seasonal flu die from it? What "confirmed case" number did you use to draw this conclusion?
[Reply]
petegz28 11:25 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
You think that 10% of those who get seasonal flu die from it? What "confirmed case" number did you use to draw this conclusion?
I don't know where he got his numbers but all flu numbers I have seen seem to include estimates of cases and not strictly reported\confirmed cases.
[Reply]
eDave 11:27 AM 03-16-2020

[Reply]
Bearcat 11:28 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
We are living in a period of history that will far eclipse 9/11 and people here still saying it isn't a big deal because they can't understand the response from the entire world and want to keep their gyms open.

I'll post it again even though some idiot downvoted it for the media company it came from. This is the blueprint of the future before this shit gets locked down.
A few things....
- Things are relatively okay right now in the US compared to Italy, Spain, China, etc. (OBVIOUSLY not a reason to ignore precautions, I'm just saying when you look out the window and it's sunny, it's hard to imagine preparing for a tornado)
- There's probably not a ton of "the why" out there when it comes to closures and what not, outside of "look at what's happening in Italy"... I see "shit's closed" for my relatively small town or "close all bars/restaurants/movie theaters/etc." for an entire state with no information about the impact to that state, much less one city.
- Exponential math is hard to imagine when it comes to how quickly things can change (and most people are already bad at math). Knowing Italy went from 3000 cases to 10k in a matter of a week and a half is very telling, whether they actually had closer to 10k cases before testing.

I'm personally well aware of what we're trying to prevent in terms of hospitals collapsing under the strain of a huge outbreak, but given the lack of testing in the US and lack of real localized reasoning for some of the decisions being made and the lack of some sort of unified messaging/planning, it does come across as panic and "well, this state/event/etc. is doing this, so we'll do it, too" instead of a reasoned response to real data and facts.

So, you end up with toilet paper hoarders.

Again, not saying we shouldn't take precautions, and I totally agree with shutting down non-essential travel and huge sporting events... but, when it goes from that to people losing jobs and their livelihoods in a matter of a couple days with the aforementioned lack of real localized information... :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 11:28 AM 03-16-2020
More numbers for perspective. The media is not going into detail on these and that's one of my biggest complaints.

Age of Coronavirus Deaths
COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:
*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

80+ years old 14.8%
70-79 years old 8.0%
60-69 years old 3.6%
50-59 years old 1.3%
40-49 years old 0.4%
30-39 years old 0.2%
20-29 years old 0.2%
10-19 years old 0.2%
0-9 years old no fatalities
[Reply]
SupDock 11:30 AM 03-16-2020
I posted some of the confirmed case data above. It isn't near what he is saying.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:30 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:

[Reply]
FAX 11:31 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Which virologists are suggesting that the virus that causes Covid-19 has been around a long time?

I'm really trying to find your data

I see that we have had around 18k influenza hospitalizations this year, and 260000 positive tests.

How does that even come close to a 10 percent case fatality? That's not even a 10 percent hospitalization.
The CDC website is a pretty good place to start. The 10% is the mortality rate emerging from "confirmed cases", Mr. SupDock. Your guess is as good as mine (and theirs) as to how many cases went "unconfirmed".

Once I clear some time, I'll post some links to interviews with the virologists I mentioned above. I found them on various sites, however. Personally, I prefer the long-form interviews ... not the talking-head-for-pay types.

FAX
[Reply]
SupDock 11:34 AM 03-16-2020
The CDC website is a pretty good place to start. The 10% is the mortality rate emerging from "confirmed cases", Mr. SupDock. Your guess is as good as mine (and theirs) as to how many cases went "unconfirmed".

Once I clear some time, I'll post some links to interviews with the virologists I mentioned above. I found them on various sites, however. Personally, I prefer the long-form interviews ... not the talking-head-for-pay types.

FAX

I posted the data above. It isn't 10 percent.

I see that we have had around 18k confirmed influenza hospitalizations this year, and 260000 positive tests

That's less than 10 percent hospitalization.

I would love to see where on the CDC website you got your data, because I got mine from the recent influenza surveillance report

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:36 AM 03-16-2020
Hey - shoutout to the mods for their work in this thread.

It’s been contentious at points - but this has honestly been a great resource to find great sources and share fears and discussion about this - especially compared to some of the cesspits I’ve encountered on Facebook and Reddit.
[Reply]
Donger 11:41 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I posted the data above. It isn't 10 percent.

I see that we have had around 18k confirmed influenza hospitalizations this year, and 260000 positive tests

That's less than 10 percent hospitalization.

I would love to see where on the CDC website you got your data, because I got mine from the recent influenza surveillance report

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#whomap

I presume that FAX is using the following:

No. of positive specimens = 222,552

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.
[Reply]
SupDock 11:44 AM 03-16-2020
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#whomap

I presume that FAX is using the following:

No. of positive specimens = 222,552

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.

You cant use confirmed positive cases for the demoniator unless you are using confirmed case hospitilazation for the numerator. That use of data doesn't make sense.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:50 AM 03-16-2020
Man I can't believe that where I work that they are not follow their own protocols when it comes to Coronavirus. Workers are not being instructed to go see the appointed person after returning from an infected area because the supervisor thinks this is all a bunch of crap and that God will save us unless it was just your time.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 313 of 3903
« First < 213263303309310311312313 3143153163173233634138131313 > Last »
Up