« First < 211261301307308309310311 312313314315 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>**** Official College Football 2022 Thread ****
Titty Meat 07:53 AM 08-25-2022
Week 4:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-times-preview
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:22 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Kirby Smart has 2 national titles at age 47. Nick Saban won his 2nd national title at age 58. Kirby learned a lot from Saban and he's running a very similar recruiting machine with a massive built-in advantage at Georgia since the kids in that state growing up wanting to be Bulldogs. Ton of 4-star and 5-star talent in their backyard.

I don't think Kirby is the type to jump to the NFL and he's a Georgia alumnus. Seems like the Georgia program might be in shape for some incredible stuff over the next 20 years.
Never underestimate boredom and/or ego.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:24 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Never underestimate boredom, legal age college girls, and/or ego.
Fyp
[Reply]
DRM08 11:33 PM 01-09-2023
There's always a way.

Honestly, I don't mind NIL. The problem I have is combining it with the free transfer.

Because one will take care of the other. If boosters have to pay a guy for 2 years to drag him away for 1, and one of those years he's out of sight, out of mind (and thus minimizing the odds of them getting their money's worth), you'll start to at least tap the brakes a bit on the runaway train.

Oh you'll very probably still have the MAJOR guys moving. But you won't get that matriculation up the line that you're gonna see becoming more and more common. I mean we won't be far from seeing kids literally change teams EVERY year.
The free transfer is definitely a bigger problem than NIL money. Guys were always getting paid money under the table before NIL, but at least they could not transfer in the off-season without consequence. They would have to sit out the next season.

I still think back on what would happen if Mahomes played college in the new era. Tech would have lost him after his freshman season. None of those asshole schools wanted him as a high school kid. Only Tech gave him a shot. The Longhorns told him "we think you might be able to play Safety" but they didn't even offer him a scholarship at Safety. They damn sure didn't offer him a scholarship at QB. But he did some incredible things as a true freshman, especially his final few games of the year. The last game of the season was against a Top 10 ranked Baylor team. They were winning by about 25 points in the 3rd quarter. Mahomes led a furious comeback and we damn near won the game. Baylor coaches looked like they were about to keel over with heart attacks at the very end of it. Mahomes had 600 yards and 6 TD's in that game...as a true freshman.

No doubt the Longhorns, Aggies, and whoever else would have tried to money whip Mahomes into a transfer after his freshman season. Thankfully the transfer rules were strict at the time. Patrick loves Tech and we are all happy to be associated with him forever. It has been a joy to watch him at the NFL level knowing that he's our dude, not some other college that money-whipped him in the transfer portal.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 11:35 PM 01-09-2023
Never underestimate boredom and/or ego.
For him? Probably not.

For me? Yea, I've barely watched a CFP game because they suck so bad. Hell, I only tuned in today in hope of seeing an upset. At least the semis were great.

I'm trying to think back to when I was a kid and watched OU just destroy everything in their path for years. And then NU did it for years. Was it this bad? Cause those two teams tonight did not belong on the same field.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 11:39 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
For him? Probably not.

For me? Yea, I've barely watched a CFP game because they suck so bad. Hell, I only tuned in today in hope of seeing an upset. At least the semis were great.

I'm trying to think back to when I was a kid and watched OU just destroy everything in their path for years. And then NU did it for years. Was it this bad? Cause those two teams tonight did not belong on the same field.
Talent tended to be spread out more regionally. There really wasn't national recruiting. So Oklahoma and Nebraska picked up all the talent in the great plains. USC and Washington on the west coast, Florida and Florida St took the Florida kids, etc.

There also didn't use to be basically prep schools for college football back in the 80s and 90s.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:46 PM 01-09-2023
Georgia was a Ryan Day turning into a gigantic pussy drive away from not even being in the natty.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:47 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
For him? Probably not.

At least they are settling it on the field now. In the old days we had pollsters deciding the national title, which is hilarious. 1997 featured a "tie" between Michigan & Nebraska. Both of them claim the 1997 national title to this day, but they never played each other.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:49 PM 01-09-2023
No doubt the Longhorns, Aggies, and whoever else would have tried to money whip Mahomes into a transfer after his freshman season. Thankfully the transfer rules were strict at the time. Patrick loves Tech and we are all happy to be associated with him forever. It has been a joy to watch him at the NFL level knowing that he's our dude, not some other college that money-whipped him in the transfer portal.
And the real hell of it is that, had he transferred to UT, there's a non-zero chance they bury him behind Shane Buechele. And then Sam Ehlinger.

Not because he isn't obviously better than those guys, but because it's UT and they're proud/stupid to a fault.

And shit, lets say he goes to UT and has a great career - in what way is that better for college football? It isn't. He's a damn folk hero in Lubbock. The game is BETTER with stories like his. And if it isn't, it's a damn sight more fun for it.

The free transfer era is awful for college sports and will ultimately be what kills it. NIL money can work.

NIL money and free transfers can't.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 11:52 PM 01-09-2023
At least they are settling it on the field now. In the old days we had pollsters deciding the national title, which is hilarious. 1997 featured a "tie" between Michigan & Nebraska. Both of them claim the 1997 national title to this day, but they never played each other.
Trying to crown a true national champion will be seen as the beginning of the end of college football as it transitions to NFL lite.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:55 PM 01-09-2023
And the real hell of it is that, had he transferred to UT, there's a non-zero chance they bury him behind Shane Buechele. And then Sam Ehlinger.

Not because he isn't obviously better than those guys, but because it's UT and they're proud/stupid to a fault.

And shit, lets say he goes to UT and has a great career - in what way is that better for college football? It isn't. He's a damn folk hero in Lubbock. The game is BETTER with stories like his. And if it isn't, it's a damn sight more fun for it.

The free transfer era is awful for college sports and will ultimately be what kills it. NIL money can work.

See Isiaih Mosley for prime example.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:58 PM 01-09-2023

Yeah, I hope they will figure something out with the transfer rules. UT paid that Ohio State kid Quinn Ewers about $4 million to transfer to Austin. That was after the Ohio State people had already paid him a couple million bucks as well out of high school.

Professional athletes are held to multi-year contracts for the most part. Having all the college players as free agents in the offseason every single year is bullshit. I would not want to be the college coaches at this point. They already had their hands full trying to recruit kids out of high school. Now they have to recruit the guys currently on the roster to keep them from leaving!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:14 AM 01-10-2023
Yeah, I hope they will figure something out with the transfer rules. UT paid that Ohio State kid Quinn Ewers about $4 million to transfer to Austin. That was after the Ohio State people had already paid him a couple million bucks as well out of high school.

Professional athletes are held to multi-year contracts for the most part. Having all the college players as free agents in the offseason every single year is bullshit. I would not want to be the college coaches at this point. They already had their hands full trying to recruit kids out of high school. Now they have to recruit the guys currently on the roster to keep them from leaving!
And that means sooner or later there will be a trickle down effect to the NFL.

Why? Because you're going to have more flash over substance coaches designed to simply rack up talent on a year over year basis vs. develop players.

Because for the VAST majority of college teams, developing talent is going to be a sucker's bet. Why bother? You may get one good year out of them before they transfer. At least, that'll be the case if you're a guy who's great at coaching but maybe not recruiting.

When you have to not just recruit HS kids but also re-recruit your own, the balance will shift further and further towards recruiters over teachers.

There's simply not a single positive development to come from this kind of instability.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:26 AM 01-10-2023
Faves for next year

Georgia
Bammy
OHIO state

Yet idiots will spend all fall watching it
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 12:28 AM 01-10-2023
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Faves for next year

Georgia
Bammy
OHIO state

You’re not wrong.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 12:51 AM 01-10-2023
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Faves for next year

Georgia
Bammy
OHIO state

Any football is better than no football
That includes tonight's abortion of NC game.
[Reply]
Page 311 of 316
« First < 211261301307308309310311 312313314315 > Last »
Up