Page 310 of 316
« First < 210260300306307308309310 311312313314 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>**** Official College Football 2022 Thread ****
Titty Meat 07:53 AM 08-25-2022
Week 4:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...-times-preview
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:03 PM 01-09-2023
TCU lasted longer than Buffalo last Monday.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:14 PM 01-09-2023
Bummer of a finish to a season that had quite a few damn good ballgames.

But ultimately Georgia was the best team in the country all year and demonstrated same.

The NCAA really needs to do something about the NIL and free transfer stuff. Its going to be way too damn easy for deep pockets to just corner the market on players. And frankly, just about every team in college athletics is going to end up a feeder team for the top 6-8 squads in any given sport. Things are going to get more and more lopsided going forward as the top dogs really learn how best to utilize the NIL.

Mizzou goes out there and secures a solid in-state player like Dominic Lovett. They develop him into one of the top WRs in the SEC and he plays a key role in damn near upsetting UGA.

Then transfers there. No coaches got fired. He wasn't being wasted as the #1 receiver on the team with a top flight QB recruit inbound. Mizzou did everything they could but Georgia is better than Mizzou and their boosters and NIL guys have deeper pockets. There's just nothing more they could've done.

I mean damn, it's just so hard to see these squads as anything but laundry anymore. And if you have all this hooplah over a national championship game only to have it turn into an absolute bloodbath (or simply the same 4-6 teams playing each other every year with a single interloper brought in to get trucked on national television) it can only be bad for the sport as a whole.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:22 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

But ultimately Georgia was the best team in the country all year and demonstrated same.

The NCAA really needs to do something about the NIL and free transfer stuff. Its going to be way too damn easy for deep pockets to just corner the market on players. And frankly, just about every team in college athletics is going to end up a feeder team for the top 6-8 squads in any given sport. Things are going to get more and more lopsided going forward as the top dogs really learn how best to utilize the NIL.

Mizzou goes out there and secures a solid in-state player like Dominic Lovett. They develop him into one of the top WRs in the SEC and he plays a key role in damn near upsetting UGA.

Then transfers there. No coaches got fired. He wasn't being wasted as the #1 receiver on the team with a top flight QB recruit inbound. Mizzou did everything they could but Georgia is better than Mizzou and their boosters and NIL guys have deeper pockets. There's just nothing more they could've done.

I mean damn, it's just so hard to see these squads as anything but laundry anymore. And if you have all this hooplah over a national championship game only to have it turn into an absolute bloodbath (or simply the same 4-6 teams playing each other every year with a single interloper brought in to get trucked on national television) it can only be bad for the sport as a whole.
Not sure what you do at this point. They’ve opened up Pandora’s box and I don’t think there’s a way to close it.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:25 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Not sure what you do at this point. They’ve opened up Pandora’s box and I don’t think there’s a way to close it.
The courts did. Congress can fix this, weirdly. Joe Manchin and Tuberville have indicated they're on board.

We'll see if they follow through.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 10:29 PM 01-09-2023
Another overhyped lopsided CFB game but so many still argue that it’s still better than the NFL.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:30 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
There's always a way.

Honestly, I don't mind NIL. The problem I have is combining it with the free transfer.

Because one will take care of the other. If boosters have to pay a guy for 2 years to drag him away for 1, and one of those years he's out of sight, out of mind (and thus minimizing the odds of them getting their money's worth), you'll start to at least tap the brakes a bit on the runaway train.

Oh you'll very probably still have the MAJOR guys moving. But you won't get that matriculation up the line that you're gonna see becoming more and more common. I mean we won't be far from seeing kids literally change teams EVERY year.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:32 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Has anyone paid attention to the Fansville commercials this year?
The Streaming one was pretty funny.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:35 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
Welp. maybe Bama did deserve another shot.

instead of 3 teams with a chance to win the title, it was really just two.
That's what some of us were suggesting all along; Bama was CLEARLY one of the top 4 teams in college football, if that's what they really wanted.
[Reply]
MahomesIsTheMVP 10:36 PM 01-09-2023

I think an NIL cap has to be instituted.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:40 PM 01-09-2023
There's always a way.

Honestly, I don't mind NIL. The problem I have is combining it with the free transfer.

Because one will take care of the other. If boosters have to pay a guy for 2 years to drag him away for 1, and one of those years he's out of sight, out of mind (and thus minimizing the odds of them getting their money's worth), you'll start to at least tap the brakes a bit on the runaway train.

Oh you'll very probably still have the MAJOR guys moving. But you won't get that matriculation up the line that you're gonna see becoming more and more common. I mean we won't be far from seeing kids literally change teams EVERY year.
It's somehow worse in college basketball.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:43 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
That's what some of us were suggesting all along; Bama was CLEARLY one of the top 4 teams in college football, if that's what they really wanted.
Resume's matter and 'Bama's simply wasn't as good as the 4 teams that got in.

The committee got it right but Georgia is just REALLY damn good. And the NIL and transfers aren't even the reason WHY.

Georgia's built a buzzsaw. But the problem is that it's only going to get easier for them now. Things won't get better - they'll get worse.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:46 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
It's somehow worse in college basketball.
It would be, yeah.

One major transfer can make an enormous difference.

But there are a couple distinctions in college basketball. 1) The best college kids are 1 and dones. They don't transfer - they go pro. 2) The nature of college basketball and a win or go home tournament that's several rounds long and often subject to the whims of a short 3-point line and some hot shooting.

College basketball is less prone to 'dynasties' and unassailable monsters because it's LESS likely to reward the team that was truly the best team in the country in any given year.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...but it's at least a distinction.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:56 PM 01-09-2023
It would be, yeah.

One major transfer can make an enormous difference.

But there are a couple distinctions in college basketball. 1) The best college kids are 1 and dones. They don't transfer - they go pro. 2) The nature of college basketball and a win or go home tournament that's several rounds long and often subject to the whims of a short 3-point line and some hot shooting.

College basketball is less prone to 'dynasties' and unassailable monsters because it's LESS likely to reward the team that was truly the best team in the country in any given year.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...but it's at least a distinction.
First thing is that the portal should open after bowl season.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:59 PM 01-09-2023
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
First thing is that the portal should open after bowl season.
Which just seems like such an obvious no-brainer that it's frankly staggering that it was ever open BEFORE it.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:20 PM 01-09-2023
Kirby Smart has 2 national titles at age 47. Nick Saban won his 2nd national title at age 58. Kirby learned a lot from Saban and he's running a very similar recruiting machine with a massive built-in advantage at Georgia since the kids in that state growing up wanting to be Bulldogs. Ton of 4-star and 5-star talent in their backyard.

I don't think Kirby is the type to jump to the NFL and he's a Georgia alumnus. Seems like the Georgia program might be in shape for some incredible stuff over the next 20 years.
[Reply]
Page 310 of 316
« First < 210260300306307308309310 311312313314 > Last »
Up