ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 49
« First < 202627282930 3132333440 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official (2020)-2021 NHL Thread***
Otter 07:26 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I'm actually shocked... Wow, I didn't see the GKs pulling out any game, ,uch less the series...
I wasn't expecting it either after watching a few AVS vs LVK kings games but after watching LVK win the Stanley Cup I wasn't taking them for granted.

Kinda sucks, I've grown to like the AVS.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 08:14 AM 06-11-2021
As a Red Wings fan, I surprisingly don't care that both St. Louis and Colorado fans are crying salty tears. Shows you how far the Wings have fallen. Plus, we're not in the same Conference anymore. Just don't have the same hatred for those two teams I used to.

I don't see anyone beating Tampa. They're good at everything and deep everywhere. Plus, they look hungry. Scary team.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:31 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by JudasRising20:
As a Red Wings fan, I surprisingly don't care that both St. Louis and Colorado fans are crying salty tears. Shows you how far the Wings have fallen. Plus, we're not in the same Conference anymore. Just don't have the same hatred for those two teams I used to.

I don't see anyone beating Tampa. They're good at everything and deep everywhere. Plus, they look hungry. Scary team.
There will always be a special place in my heart for the Wings. When I was young, being from Va. Beach one has to shop for a team, I bought into the "then" Wings, but I'm a Blues fan now because of proximity. It's all good, there's no right or wrong way to become a fan, it just important that you become one...

I have nothing but respect for the Avs organization, what they've done there is amazing, and their fans are pretty darn good people too, so that's a plus.

And don't worry, the Wings will be back on top some day, the Detroit area won't stand for this much longer. Too much history there for the organization not to be pressured into some kind of "win now" sort of deal. It my not yield the cup, but it should at least yield something that gives the city/fans some hope.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:10 AM 06-11-2021

Those were fun times (besides that 7-0 game 7 clunker)... it's been far too long since they were both good at the same time.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:52 AM 06-11-2021

I guess it's a matter of semantics, but I don't see a lot of Avs fans crying about it. We got beat - plain and simple. So yeah, it's disappointing, but it's pretty similar to the Chiefs vs. Bucs Super Bowl. It's much more infuriating when you play well but bounces/refs/whatever don't go your way. When you clearly just get your asses handed to you, all you can do is tip your cap and move on to next year.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:03 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I guess it's a matter of semantics, but I don't see a lot of Avs fans crying about it. We got beat - plain and simple. So yeah, it's disappointing, but it's pretty similar to the Chiefs vs. Bucs Super Bowl. It's much more infuriating when you play well but bounces/refs/whatever don't go your way. When you clearly just get your asses handed to you, all you can do is tip your cap and move on to next year.
I was angrier during the SB than I've been about any sporting event in probably 20 years, but I get why some look past the officiating due to the fact they probably weren't going to win anyway.

But yeah, the clock was ticking down last night and I flipped over to the Royals game. :-) At least officiating was fair in the series... they completely let them play, which of course benefited Vegas, but nothing was called on either end unless the puck went out of play.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:15 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I was angrier during the SB than I've been about any sporting event in probably 20 years, but I get why some look past the officiating due to the fact they probably weren't going to win anyway.

But yeah, the clock was ticking down last night and I flipped over to the Royals game. :-) At least officiating was fair in the series... they completely let them play, which of course benefited Vegas, but nothing was called on either end unless the puck went out of play.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. While I think the team as structured could have made a legit run this year (Vegas/Avs probably would have been a good matchup for the Finals rather than in round 2), it seems to me that our speed/finesse style tends to get shut down in the playoffs when the refs start letting teams get away with more tugging and grabbing. I'd argue that the way games are called SHOULDN'T change in the playoffs, I know it does in every league, so it kind of is what it is.

We may have to find a way to take advantage of that a little more. Logan O'Connor was a breath of fresh air because he got in there and made the Knights a little uncomfortable. We may have to consider a little more of that if we want to be successful outside of the regular season.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:18 AM 06-11-2021
Yeah, I was thinking about that. While I think the team as structured could have made a legit run this year (Vegas/Avs probably would have been a good matchup for the Finals rather than in round 2), it seems to me that our speed/finesse style tends to get shut down in the playoffs when the refs start letting teams get away with more tugging and grabbing. I'd argue that the way games are called SHOULDN'T change in the playoffs, I know it does in every league, so it kind of is what it is.

We may have to find a way to take advantage of that a little more. Logan O'Connor was a breath of fresh air because he got in there and made the Knights a little uncomfortable. We may have to consider a little more of that if we want to be successful outside of the regular season.
And moving Saad was a great move. Kadri would have been great in this type of series. :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:55 AM 06-11-2021
Aaaaand now for the blatant trolling.

Wonder if there's any decent baseball on tonight and tomorrow... the Diamondbacks are seriously bad.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 12:19 PM 06-11-2021
Aaaaand now for the blatant trolling.

Wonder if there's any decent baseball on tonight and tomorrow... the Diamondbacks are seriously bad.
Can't debate the points made so plays the "trolling" card...brilliant :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:17 PM 06-13-2021
International ice would be nice... and of course consistently calling games.

It's so strange TB/NYI haven't played each other all season.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:34 PM 06-13-2021

I once thought international ice would help but I am not sure anymore , when we got to Oktoberfest we play an old timers hockey tournament with some local teams , the ice is so big teams just retreat to their zone pretty much when they lose possession lol turns into a basketball game with 5 man box and 1, I skated around the offensive zone 5 + times once like a one man cycle and the other team just watch go around in circles. Maybe you wouldn’t be able to collapse like that in the pros but who knows, weaker teams will figure out a way.
[Reply]
Shoes 04:00 PM 06-15-2021

International ice would turn hockey more into soccer in regards to where teams would use the extra ice to maintain possession longer but not necessarily to attack the net more.

Biggest problem I have with the NHL is how there is two sets of rules, 1 for regular season play and 2 for playoff hockey. Just be consistent throughout the entire year.

Additionally it seems like the NHL is the only league where being a superstar is a detriment. Skill players (such as MacKinnon or McDavid) have to endure so much more obstruction especially in playoffs without the benefit of drawing any penalties. McDavid for example didn't draw a single penalty in this year's playoffs or the play-ins vs Chicago last season.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:24 PM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Shoes:
International ice would turn hockey more into soccer in regards to where teams would use the extra ice to maintain possession longer but not necessarily to attack the net more.

Biggest problem I have with the NHL is how there is two sets of rules, 1 for regular season play and 2 for playoff hockey. Just be consistent throughout the entire year.

Additionally it seems like the NHL is the only league where being a superstar is a detriment. Skill players (such as MacKinnon or McDavid) have to endure so much more obstruction especially in playoffs without the benefit of drawing any penalties. McDavid for example didn't draw a single penalty in this year's playoffs or the play-ins vs Chicago last season.
That's an interesting point. On the one hand, I would say that it's better for the game to NOT have teams too dependent on one player since that tends to reduce parity. On the other hand, there's no question that the NFL has benefitted tremendously from marketing its superstars.

Calling the game more strictly would almost certainly benefit players with superstars and would result in more "haves vs. have nots." But I bet it would capture the public's attention more effectively.

It is a bit odd that none of the players who are finalists for the Hart trophy nor any of the three coaches who are finalists for the Adams award are still alive in the playoffs. (Hell, by my count, only 4 out of the 24 finalists for any of the awards are still playing, which is barely above the percentage of teams who are still playing.)

The NFL has a Super Bowl featuring Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, and Mathieu vs. Brady, Gronk, Evans, and Suh. The NHL is headed for...Fluery and Stone vs. Hedman and Vasilevskiy...I guess?
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:54 PM 06-15-2021
That's an interesting point. On the one hand, I would say that it's better for the game to NOT have teams too dependent on one player since that tends to reduce parity. On the other hand, there's no question that the NFL has benefitted tremendously from marketing its superstars.

Calling the game more strictly would almost certainly benefit players with superstars and would result in more "haves vs. have nots." But I bet it would capture the public's attention more effectively.

It is a bit odd that none of the players who are finalists for the Hart trophy nor any of the three coaches who are finalists for the Adams award are still alive in the playoffs. (Hell, by my count, only 4 out of the 24 finalists for any of the awards are still playing, which is barely above the percentage of teams who are still playing.)

The NFL has a Super Bowl featuring Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, and Mathieu vs. Brady, Gronk, Evans, and Suh. The NHL is headed for...Fluery and Stone vs. Hedman and Vasilevskiy...I guess?
Hmm, good points, hadn't really thought of that in terms of the NHL awards.... and yeah, NFL rules benefit their stars while swallowing whistles in the NHL playoffs does the opposite.
[Reply]
Page 30 of 49
« First < 202627282930 3132333440 > Last »
Up